Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: MORE RUST Mobil,Humble and Flying A Signs - Wed Apr 22 2015 09:39 AM
Can anyone help from this picture tell if they are real? I generally know that the 12 inch rounds are reproductions but the Mobil ones are not round. Is there a size across the flat part on the Mobil that I should know about. Also, is the large flying A real? Lots to learn.

Attached picture auct1.JPG
Attached picture flying a auc1.JPG
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: Mobil,Humble and Flying A Signs - Wed Apr 22 2015 11:05 AM
It's hard to tell Jim on the Mobil shields due to the distance. In regards to the Mobilfuel it's a good sign that the word "Diesel" is red, but as I posted in the unmarked repro and fantasy section of OG there is now a repro with the red lettering but it is marked as "licensed by Mobil" and thus is a reproduction.
IF either Mobil plate has the I.R. date code at the lower right point I would be confident in purchasing them.
Good luck,
Darin
Posted By: Neil Gerrard Re: Mobil,Humble and Flying A Signs - Wed Apr 22 2015 10:19 PM
Flying A is real
Posted By: MORE RUST Re: Mobil,Humble and Flying A Signs - Thu Apr 23 2015 12:02 PM
Thanks I like the flying A. I will follow you directions on the Mobil signs. I see the bigger Mobil seem to have a date or some script higher up is that true or are the bigger ones faked also? everything is appreciated greatly. Learning so much.
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: Mobil,Humble and Flying A Signs - Thu Apr 23 2015 02:09 PM
Jim, are you taking advantage of the "Oldgas Goggle Search Box"... That is towards the bottom of each page?

The answers to a lot of questions, can be found in past threads...

I typed in "T-53" Pegasus; I got 57 results. When I typed in Mobilgas Pegasus; I got 276 results:

In these past threads, there is a "Gold Mine of Information" on what to look for on Pegasus signs, "Cookie Cutters" and smaller Pegasus....

And the Search is real easy to use, which is a real help to me and other Old Farts....
Posted By: MORE RUST Re: Mobil,Humble and Flying A Signs - Thu Apr 23 2015 06:43 PM
I am aware of search. I work 12 hour days and don't have the option to spend hours a day searching old posts. prices and values can change. explain t-57 I am not familiar with that term or IR on Mobil signs. There would be no new posts if everyone just searched and did not write up new posts. I also want to interact with folks on here. e-bay is not always a gauge on what things are worth or what they can be purchased for in other arenas. if I post a picture I want some information from the experts here that are willing to help me and others from buying fakes or overlooking something of value or desirability.
Posted By: MORE RUST Re: Mobil,Humble and Flying A Signs - Mon Apr 27 2015 10:51 AM
The flying A was touched up really bad with oil base paint and was terrible went for about $650. several other signs got the same treatment. They were ruined.Lots of signs there. I ended up with a SOCONY AIRCRAFT OIL sign. Faded but original not touched up. The pump was a national and went for $2200 even with the missing curved glass. On the way home from the auction we stopped by a small flea market and a farmer seen the two pumps and air meter on my truck from carlisle and asked me if I was interested in a gas pump at his farm! It was a short tokhiem and was disconnected but had the pump in it still. brought her home also.
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: Mobil,Humble and Flying A Signs - Mon Apr 27 2015 11:42 AM
Originally Posted By: MORE RUST
I am aware of search. I work 12 hour days and don't have the option to spend hours a day searching old posts.

...heh...well, most of us work, too...if you are serious about this hobby, you'll be spending a LOT of your spare time with it; some of that time, doing the research - that's what those of us who have been in the hobby the longest have done...as you must know, there's a great influx of people interested in the hobby now, thanks to Reality TV...it's unrealistic to expect that those who have spent a long time in the hobby have the time or inclination to answer questions previously answered - some many times..."T-53", for instance...if you search that term, you should learn all you need to know from previous posts...

...Bob's right: use the search tool first; post when you have a question that hasn't been previously answered...the 'experts' will respond more readily if they see you've taken the time to do your homework...
Posted By: nochevys Re: Mobil,Humble and Flying A Signs - Mon Apr 27 2015 12:31 PM
Originally Posted By: gulfiend!
I am aware of search. I work 12 hour days and don't have the option to spend hours a day searching old posts.

it's unrealistic to expect that those who have spent a long time in the hobby have the time or inclination to answer questions previously answered - some many times..."T-57", for instance...if you search that term, you should learn all you need to know from previous posts...

"T-53" actually if referring to the fake Peggys...(sorry couldn't resist)
Posted By: MORE RUST Re: Mobil,Humble and Flying A Signs - Mon Apr 27 2015 02:31 PM
here is some of what I brought home this week. Glad I posted a picture of the Pegasus with the lines missing instead of relying on search other wise I wouldn't of known about the lines missing. Seen several at Carlisle and see what you mean. That is why I post a picture of what I am looking at not relying on someone else's sign for a value or determination of originality.

Attached picture st thomas socony.JPG
Posted By: MORE RUST Re: Mobil,Humble and Flying A Signs - Mon Apr 27 2015 02:41 PM
Some more.

Attached picture triplets.JPG
Attached picture truckload.JPG
Attached picture twins.JPG
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: Mobil,Humble and Flying A Signs - Mon Apr 27 2015 02:51 PM
Originally Posted By: nochevys
Originally Posted By: gulfiend!

it's unrealistic to expect that those who have spent a long time in the hobby have the time or inclination to answer questions previously answered - some many times..."T-57", for instance...if you search that term, you should learn all you need to know from previous posts...

"T-53" actually if referring to the fake Peggys...(sorry couldn't resist)

...you're right Tom, I goofed crazy ...got the 53 confused with the 57 search results Bob mentioned in his post...
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk