Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Artexsignguy Texaco 26 inch sign - Sun May 03 2015 02:41 PM
I am interested in buying a 26 inch black T Texaco sign. I own the 42 inch version of this sign and I was curious if a 26 version was ever produced by Texaco? Thanks for any input!
Posted By: advertologist Re: Texaco 26 inch sign - Sun May 03 2015 02:46 PM
26" would be aftermarket model ... cool
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: Texaco 26 inch sign - Mon May 04 2015 07:06 AM
I agree, a fantasy piece.
Posted By: Artexsignguy Re: Texaco 26 inch sign - Tue May 12 2015 01:15 AM
Thanks for the information it was very helpful .
Posted By: danlap99 Re: Texaco 26 inch sign - Tue May 12 2015 08:28 PM
Texaco DID make a 26" sign. It was from the 1930's . Here's a picture of one in the Texaco book and also of the one I owned years ago. They are very RARE . good luck

Attached picture IMG_2267.JPG
Attached picture IMG_2268.JPG
Posted By: Artexsignguy Re: Texaco 26 inch sign - Wed Jun 03 2015 12:06 AM
Thanks for the info. From what I've gathered the only legitimate 26 inch sign has Texaco across the top. The ones with gasoline appear to be fantasy pieces.
Posted By: CircaDesigns Re: Texaco 26 inch sign - Thu Jun 04 2015 11:52 AM
Would the 26" sign have been used on tanker trucks or large oil tanks? Being 1-sided I'm pretty sure it wasn't used for a station sign or curb sign. That's a cool sign though.
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: Texaco 26 inch sign - Thu Jun 04 2015 11:56 AM
I still question its authenticity? Are there any old photos of it in use? There are a lot of photos of Texaco's advertising materials and surely it would show up if it was ever used?
Posted By: blacktee Re: Texaco 26 inch sign - Thu Jun 04 2015 05:21 PM
C'mon guys! The information that's available on signs like this is sketchy at best.

Oh okay a photo from Rick Pease's book showing Erol Tuzcu's collection from 1997 and God only knows how many years before 1997 that Erol purchased that 26" & 20" sign. I've seen them both, Dan Lappin has one in his Texaco collection (that does sound sketchy). Guess we could ask Keith J. (puretex) next to see what he has to say. He used to have probably the second largest collection of Texaco out there. I try to go by facts. Anyone who wants to think this 26" sign is a fake, go right ahead and spread mis-information all you want, that's great for the hobby...

Posted By: Alex Re: Texaco 26 inch sign - Thu Jun 04 2015 05:49 PM
Guys, as the moderator, please keep it respectful and on point.

As far as the 26 inch sign. About 70% of my collection came from an old bulk plant here in MT. One of the signs he had was the 26 inch sign. And I am here to say I believe the sign was legitamite as he showed me a picture from the 30s of the bulk plant with that sign on the building. I held the sign and am convinced it was real. He wasn't an antique dealer and only had all Texaco items. Hard as I tried, he wouldn't sell it. I am agreeing with BlackTee on this one. And it is shown in the Tour With Texaco book....
Posted By: Oldgas Re: Texaco 26 inch sign - Thu Jun 04 2015 07:12 PM
Some posts were removed from this topic because of negative personal comments and for being off-topic from the original question.
Posted By: blacktee Re: Texaco 26 inch sign - Thu Jun 04 2015 10:59 PM
Originally Posted By: Alex

As far as the 26 inch sign. About 70% of my collection came from an old bulk plant here in MT. One of the signs he had was the 26 inch sign. And I am here to say I believe the sign was legitamite as he showed me a picture from the 30s of the bulk plant with that sign on the building. I held the sign and am convinced it was real. He wasn't an antique dealer and only had all Texaco items. Hard as I tried, he wouldn't sell it. I am agreeing with BlackTee on this one. And it is shown in the Tour With Texaco book....

That's interesting Alex, I always thought that the sign maybe foreign because of Registered Trade Mark being spelled out like that. Which it is on other foreign signs I've seen. Thanks for the information.
Posted By: danlap99 Re: Texaco 26 inch sign - Thu Jun 04 2015 11:16 PM
I personally got mine out of an old Texaco bulk plant in south Ga. about 18 years . I got it from the attic back in the warehouse area. I KNOW it is ORIGINAL. Daniel
Posted By: Alex Re: Texaco 26 inch sign - Sun Jun 07 2015 01:35 AM
Originally Posted By: blacktee
Originally Posted By: Alex

That's interesting Alex, I always thought that the sign maybe foreign because of Registered Trade Mark being spelled out like that. Which it is on other foreign signs I've seen. Thanks for the information.

Well, I wouldn't rule anything out. LOL It would be nice if some of our European members would weigh in. I am always amazed by how much knowledge there is on the history of signs, etc. It is like that unusual Texaco Fire painted pump plate. Lots of people thought it was experimental, but it showed up in pictures of foreign pumps. I will try to call the guy and see if he has any more history on how they used it.
Posted By: blacktee Re: Texaco 26 inch sign - Sun Jun 07 2015 01:54 AM

Alex I have all the Texaco Star magazines in hard cover from an old vice president of The Texas Co. Volume one starts with November of 1913 going up to 1933. There is so much stuff in these books that hasn't been seen/found before. Painted metal, painted wood, cardboard signs etc...
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk