Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: nochevys restore/referbish or keep original... - Fri Jul 24 2015 01:10 AM
I've been debating all day weather I should gut disassemble clean up repaint this pump or make it weather tight rewire and keep it as-is?

I just can't decide which way I want to go...

Attached picture bennett.JPG
Attached picture bennett 317.JPG
Attached picture globe on.JPG
Posted By: RARIN TO GO Re: restore/referbish or keep original... - Fri Jul 24 2015 01:20 AM
That one would be a tough call for me too. Too bad the door decals aren't a little better. I still say leave it. It's got a great look as it is but I do prefer them rusty and crusty.
Posted By: wocopep Re: restore/referbish or keep original... - Fri Jul 24 2015 02:14 AM
Leave it!
Posted By: bsplichal95 Re: restore/referbish or keep original... - Fri Jul 24 2015 03:49 AM
Leave as is please!
Posted By: advertologist Re: restore/referbish or keep original... - Fri Jul 24 2015 03:58 AM
IMO- the answer too that question depends on where your going too display it ... cool
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: restore/referbish or keep original... - Fri Jul 24 2015 06:06 AM
Only you can answer that question as it's all about personal preference and how best it will complement the rest of your collection. Personally, I would restore it; but, only after I helped the neighbor pressure wash and stain the fence. wink
Posted By: carson Re: restore/referbish or keep original... - Fri Jul 24 2015 07:27 AM
only original once
Posted By: 47reo-travis Re: restore/referbish or keep original... - Fri Jul 24 2015 08:09 AM
I would find the correct decal and age the decal to match the rest . Nice pump.
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: restore/referbish or keep original... - Fri Jul 24 2015 11:18 AM
I'm with Travis on this one...just age the decals and leave as is.
Darin
Posted By: gaspumpfrank Re: restore/referbish or keep original... - Fri Jul 24 2015 12:16 PM
Sell it to me. Frank
Posted By: carolinaskies Re: restore/referbish or keep original... - Fri Jul 24 2015 01:01 PM
Ask yourself the following 2 questions:

1> Am I going to be satisfied with the way the pump looks 6mos, 1yr, 5yrs from now?

2> Does the condition enhance, coordinate, or elavate the other pieces in my collection?

If you can answer Yes to those two questions then don't restore it.

If you answer no to either of those, then the question is partial or full restoration.

If a sympathetic restoration can change your answer to yes to the above questions you might go that route, otherwise go with a complete restoration.

The saying 'It's only original once' is fine when you're talking very rare pieces or pieces whose appearance condition is better than 75% 'day it was installed'. Otherwise some bit of restoration is worth doing.

Looking at the pictures you included I'd work on those door panels and see if you can reduce the running surface rust. If you can restore them to at least 80% white I'd go that route.
Posted By: r49th Re: restore/referbish or keep original... - Fri Jul 24 2015 01:05 PM
Everybody has a good argument on what to do with it. Your pump- your call. The only thing I will add is back in the 40's or 50's you never would have pulled into a gas station and seen a pump looking like that. It would have heen bad advertising and conveyed a bad image. Brush a good heavy coat of paint on it, add a decal (even a little crooked) make sure the wiring is safe and then you will be closer to "original".
Posted By: Done4 Re: restore/referbish or keep original... - Fri Jul 24 2015 02:01 PM
I too have gone through this dilemma on many of my pumps, and still am. On your pump I would clean it up as much as you can and then make your decision. I would try to make the doors whiter for sure. Then just brush it with clear satin. You can always do a full resto down the road.
Posted By: BryceG Re: restore/referbish or keep original... - Fri Jul 24 2015 02:07 PM
Originally Posted By 47reo-travis
I would find the correct decal and age the decal to match the rest . Nice pump.

Agreed. The only thing missing from that being an excellent survivor is the remnants of the original decal...

I would even try to search for an original decal and apply it. You can age it by using some furniture stain or other methods... Matt A could probably help ya out
Posted By: nochevys Re: restore/referbish or keep original... - Fri Jul 24 2015 03:09 PM
Thanks for everyone's opinions.
I've been leaning towards making it light and weather tight and leaving it with only some touch ups to the exterior. Mainlt to prevent new and further rust. I plan on keeping it in front of my garage in the summer and in the garage for the winter. Keeping the guts to help deter thievery not that that would be a problem but you just never know today...
Posted By: bppierce Re: restore/referbish or keep original... - Tue Jul 28 2015 09:55 AM
Pretty well said and I agree 100%.
Originally Posted By r49th
Everybody has a good argument on what to do with it. Your pump- your call. The only thing I will add is back in the 40's or 50's you never would have pulled into a gas station and seen a pump looking like that. It would have heen bad advertising and conveyed a bad image. Brush a good heavy coat of paint on it, add a decal (even a little crooked) make sure the wiring is safe and then you will be closer to "original".
Posted By: 59fairlane Re: restore/referbish or keep original... - Tue Jul 28 2015 01:45 PM
Refurb\freshin up with a little fresh paint and rewire lights. I got the Erie computer cleaned up and bell still works!!
Posted By: nochevys Re: restore/referbish or keep original... - Tue Jul 28 2015 01:48 PM
That's the plan as of now Matt Not even gutting it. I ordered all new seals for windows and ad glass. I have the light manifold out of it now waiting on new sockets. Gonna brush a coat of green and white paint on it and leave it outside the garage for a night light...
Posted By: 59fairlane Re: restore/referbish or keep original... - Tue Jul 28 2015 01:50 PM
What did you use for sockets?
Posted By: nochevys Re: restore/referbish or keep original... - Tue Jul 28 2015 02:01 PM
I'm going with these from GPH:

http://www.gaspumpheaven.com/shop/product.php?productid=16529&cat=332&page=1

Not even sure if they will work yet. Having a heck of a time getting the light manifold apart due to rust...
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk