Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Scaramoucheii Erie 77 for restoration - Thu Aug 06 2015 06:44 PM
Hi All

I'm new to the forum.

I recently received an Erie pump and have cleaned it up and now at the point of deciding on a plan for the restoration.

I have cleaned the VR computer and it is working nicely, and, will be sending the frame, base, and shelves out for sandblasting and powder coating, but was considering leaving the doors "as is" as they look kinda cool with the patina. But the paint scheme is not original, there are definite signs of this pump having been spray painted with the doors on, at some point in it's past.

Also the layout seem un-authentic,

Any suggestions ?

Attached picture Erie77Skins.jpg
Posted By: Mike618b Re: Erie 77 for restoration - Fri Aug 07 2015 01:41 AM
The decals are repros for sure. The scheme is made up as well. If it were mine, I'd restore it and not feel guilty, but I know what you mean about the vintage look. Did you gut that pump?
Posted By: Scaramoucheii Re: Erie 77 for restoration - Fri Aug 07 2015 02:22 AM
Hey Mike,

When I got the pump there was no pump or motor in it. I have completely disassembled the pump, and will send the frame, base, shelves and manifolds out for Sandblasting and Powder coating. But was just trying to decide what to do with the doors.

I think I will powdercoat the doors white, and the top and sides red, then I can decide on 3 or 4 different brands that match that scheme.

I think I'll get repo porcelain signs as I really like the look of them over the decals

Posted By: Scaramoucheii Re: Erie 77 for restoration - Fri Aug 07 2015 02:29 AM
Here is what it looked like when I received it.

It has a decent hose and nozzle as well. So now trying to decide on keeping it Mobilgas, and globe or, no globe.

But I do like the idea of installing Porecelain signs, I think it would add more of a 1940's look.

Attached picture IMG_2600 copy.jpg
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: Erie 77 for restoration - Thu Aug 13 2015 05:21 AM
What your asking is really up to you, do what you like of course. I get the sense you want an original paint scheme, or maybe more correctly stated, a paint scheme layout recommended by the gas brand as many gas stations just did whatever they wanted IMO. You could flip through PCM guide to restoration and look for an original scheme for an Erie and use that. I wouldn't do any painting or powder coating until you decide on the brand. I like to use paint personally.

I really like Erie pumps, haven't had a chance to do one yet unfortunately! I stay away from red and white personally, it's a cursed color combo for me, doesn't sell!
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: Erie 77 for restoration - Thu Aug 13 2015 11:06 AM
...solid red with a black base would work for Texaco...solid red with a red base would work for Mobil...
Posted By: Mike618b Re: Erie 77 for restoration - Fri Aug 14 2015 12:48 AM
The reason I asked if it was gutted was because when I gutted mine, it became really rickety. I had to brace it, and I'm wondering if you have that issue also.
Posted By: Scaramoucheii Re: Erie 77 for restoration - Sat Aug 15 2015 12:05 PM
Thanks for the input guys.

As far as the "rickety" question. This pump has all the shelves that were bolted to the frame that supported the pump and motor. As well at the shelf for the Computer (VR 45, working nicely) and, the topshelf for the manifold. It was very ridgid before I dissassembled it.

My step daughetr and I are still browsing for a paint scheme, we certainly do want something authentic, and have been looking through a lot of vinatge original images trying to make a decision.

I did get the ID tag cleaned off and Jack Sim was kind enough to identify the pump as an Erie 771, built in September 1947. So we are looking for something of that Vintage.

I posted the ID tag on a seperate thread.

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=624837#Post624837
Posted By: Scaramoucheii Re: Erie 77 for restoration - Sat Aug 15 2015 02:28 PM
Here is a pic of the interior before I removed all the components.

All the shelf bolts were tight and, the side panel screws were tight as well. The entire structure was very solid.

Attached picture Erie771_Interior.jpg
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: Erie 77 for restoration - Tue Aug 18 2015 06:57 AM
Looks like a nice pump
Posted By: Scaramoucheii Re: Erie 77 for restoration - Sun Oct 25 2015 01:47 AM
So I have the pump out being blasted and powder coated.

I'm about to purchase the Globe and Decals.

Would this pump have used a 13" or a 15 " globe ?

I like the idea of a 15" globe, is that size suitable for this pump ?

It is a big , tall, pump and I'm worried that a 13" may look to small?

Thoughts ?
Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: Erie 77 for restoration - Sun Oct 25 2015 04:30 AM
Originally Posted By Scaramoucheii
So I have the pump out being blasted and powder coated.

I'm about to purchase the Globe and Decals.

Would this pump have used a 13" or a 15 " globe ?

It is a big , tall, pump and I'm worried that a 13" may look to small?

Thoughts ?

That would depend on what brand you're going to restore it to.
Posted By: Scaramoucheii Re: Erie 77 for restoration - Sun Oct 25 2015 12:06 PM
So the answer to question 1,

Would this pump have used a 13" or a 15" globe ?

Would be that, depending what company was putting the globe on, it could be either

But question 2 ...

I still like the idea of the 15" globe, and, have seen a few 15" globe designs that I like, but I was just a bit worried that the 15" may appear "oversized" for this pump.

I did find another thread last night that had a pic of 2 Bennett 646 pumps, one with a 15" globe and another with a 13.5".

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=413159

The 15" Gilmore Globe looks quite nice, and well proportioned.

Assuming that the Bennett 646 and the Erie 77 are approximately the same size, the Erie 77 should also look well balanced with a 15" globe.

Has anybody had experience installing a 15" globe on a Erie 77 or Erie 771 ?
Posted By: MATT ALVAREZ Re: Erie 77 for restoration - Sun Oct 25 2015 04:11 PM
I like the look of 15 inch better than 13 1/2. Here is a 16 1/2 inch, a little big but I like it. The other one is a 13 1/2. Also using a high profile or low profile body give a visual difference in size.

Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: Erie 77 for restoration - Sun Oct 25 2015 04:51 PM
Originally Posted By Scaramoucheii
So the answer to question 1,

Would this pump have used a 13" or a 15" globe ?

Would be that, depending what company was putting the globe on, it could be either

But question 2 ...

Even though some companies used both 15 and 13 1/2 inch globes during the same time period, chances are they used 13 1/2" globes on pumps that were put into service in 1947.

If an older pump was already in use with a metal body globe they may have left the 15" globe in service.
The vast majority of globes put into service after the war were 13 1/2" glass or plastic body.

It really does make a difference on which company you plan to restore the pump to if you want it to be historically correct. That being said, it's your pump. Put whatever globe you want on it.
Posted By: Scaramoucheii Re: Erie 77 for restoration - Mon Oct 26 2015 01:51 AM
Thanks Lastgas

I just read a post that you commented on from 2004

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5204

The Globe I'm considering is the 15" Richfield Aviation,

http://www.slamaglobe.com/globes/15_332.html

And then, using a large Tall Eagle Decal on the front of the door.

http://www.slamaglobe.com/gas_decals/richfieldtalleaglegpd.html

I noticed that in the 2004 post you mention that Richfield 15" globes were common.

Perhaps the Richfield Aviation globe and the Large Tall Eagle decal weren't of the same time period, but I think they would look great together and I think that counts for a lot.

Do you know what time period the Richfield Aviation Globe was used ?
Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: Erie 77 for restoration - Mon Oct 26 2015 11:45 AM
No, I didn't say Richfield Aviation globes were common!

According to the Gas Globe CD, the Richfield Aviation globe you're interested in was used from 1924-1930. You won't be the first to do a non-historically correct pump build.
Posted By: Scaramoucheii Re: Erie 77 for restoration - Tue Oct 27 2015 02:09 AM
Right, I didn't mean to mis-quote you,

I do understand that a Richfield Aviation, single globe lens, with original body, collected one of the highest prices ever at auction, so yes very un-common,

I was paraphrasing that ... a Richfield 15" globe would be the size one would commonly expect a Richfield globe to be, as you state in the post from 2004

And I quote.

"Richfield from L.A. used only 15" globes"

Thank you for dating the Globe, I think that I'll continue on with this pump scheme design as a "Richfield Aviation", as there has been nothing about the Logo's or the Company history that dosen't impress me.
Posted By: Scaramoucheii Re: Erie 77 for restoration - Wed Nov 04 2015 08:37 PM
So I have ordered the 15" Richfield Aviation Globe, and a few decals.

I pick the pump parts up from the Powder Coat shop on Saturday Morning, so hopefully can post a few more pics Sunday after bolting the frame back together.
Posted By: Scaramoucheii Re: Erie 77 for restoration - Fri Dec 18 2015 09:30 PM
So I have assembled the pump and it turned out quite nice. A couple of pics here showing before and after.

Blasted, Powder Coated, and new bolts with a wipe of Lithium grease.

Attached picture Frame_Base_Before.jpg
Attached picture Frame_Base_After.jpg
Posted By: Scaramoucheii Re: Erie 77 for restoration - Fri Dec 18 2015 09:47 PM
The ALMOST finished pump, a few small details to take cake of that can be done in the Billiards Room.

Anybody out there have the Stainless Steed bars that support the Ad Glass please PM me.

Attached picture Erie_Richfield_3.jpg
Posted By: Ken S Re: Erie 77 for restoration - Wed Jan 06 2016 03:59 PM
Nice looking pump, are you going to be putting the stainless ribbed bottom trim back on?
Posted By: Scaramoucheii Re: Erie 77 for restoration - Thu Jan 07 2016 09:37 PM
Thanks Ken.

All the shelves, and the covers for the VR were powdercoated as well, the interior looks great also.

Yes I have the stainless ribbed trim for the bottom. You can just see the one on the right hand side, just balanced in place.

Unfortunately somebody before me sandblasted them and they now have a MATT gray finish, I have cleaned them and the inside is bright and shiny, but the outside is dull gray.

Anyway, the steel mounting plates were very rusted and I just need to get around to recreating some mounting plates for them. I may get them on the buffing wheel and try and bring them back a bit.

One of the small jobs that can be done while I enjoy the pump.
Posted By: Rabbitman Re: Erie 77 for restoration - Thu Jan 07 2016 10:46 PM
You did a nice job on your Erie. I don't know if you ever found the ad glass strips but Tom Buckles has them for sale (tbuckles on here). Also, if you want to take the time and put in the effort, you can revive the stainless pieces at the bottom by sanding them in stages starting with 220 or 320 grit and gradually working to 600 and 1000 or 1500 grit and then buffing them. It will take some time but can be done. The easier way is to find a set that hasn't been blasted and buff them. Tom may have a pair of those two, I got one from him for my last Erie rebuild. ......GB

Here is a 748 I did in DX a couple of years ago, basically the same as the 77:

Attached picture image.jpeg
Posted By: Scaramoucheii Re: Erie 77 for restoration - Fri Jan 08 2016 07:39 PM
I did order a pair of the Ad Glass stainless trim from tbuckles, and have received it, they look great.

I will try and restore the stainless bottom trim as best I can, or maybe just spray it with "aluminium paint" and be done with it for the time being, (Can't damage then any more than they already are) But, I will contact Tom and see what the going price is for a pair of shiny ones :-) And have that as an option.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk