Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: tbuckles Pump Loading Dolly - Wed Apr 06 2016 09:35 PM
Every pump guy I know has one of these but I thought I would share my latest design especially for people new to the pump hobby.

These make loading a pump in a pickup so much easier. My old one was getting ragged and I had been thinking on improving the design. The single best feature is the notch to catch the tail gate. If you ever tried loading a pump in the back of a pickup, as soon as you pick the pump up to tilt it in, the pump wants to chase your a$$ backwards. As you can see in the pictures it could not be any easier (unless you had your buddy do all the work...lol) There is no way I could stand there and hold the pump up with 2 fingers without the notches.

The next best addition was the wheels, after is tilted into the bed it just rolls right in. The grab handles are from a Bennett pump. All totaled, I have less than $20 into it. Bought treated lumber at Home Depot and the rest was stuff I had lying around.

I'm sure there is more refinements that could be made, share them if you got them.

Tom.

Attached picture IMG_20160406_50237.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20160406_1701.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20160406_19860.jpg
Posted By: tbuckles Re: Pump Loading Dolly - Wed Apr 06 2016 09:37 PM
The rest of the pictures.

Attached picture IMG_20160406_38910.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20160406_54371.jpg
Posted By: Mike M. Re: Pump Loading Dolly - Wed Apr 06 2016 09:40 PM
You are the best pump guy I know Tom and now I know my back is going to like you so much more! LOL

Thanks for posting!
Posted By: philmccauley Re: Pump Loading Dolly - Wed Apr 06 2016 09:44 PM
I used to have something similar that was stolen out of truck at a swap meet, had a roller all the way across the front but no notch cut into the wood frame.
Posted By: gasmansgp Re: Pump Loading Dolly - Wed Apr 06 2016 09:55 PM
Retired guys have way too much time on their hands! Paul www.severngaspumps.com
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: Pump Loading Dolly - Wed Apr 06 2016 09:57 PM
A Mailmans best friend.
SharkTank on line 2..
Posted By: Hardy's Garage Re: Pump Loading Dolly - Wed Apr 06 2016 10:01 PM
Now there is a man clearly enjoying his retirement, having fun doing what he like to do and making many of us envy him even more. Certainly makes it less likely that the pump would ever fall on him doesn't it?
Posted By: 1 BAD ZR1 Re: Pump Loading Dolly - Wed Apr 06 2016 11:13 PM
My answer for not killing my back loading pumps in my 4x4 F 250 diesel. Stock truck is higher than 1/2 ton because of 4 wheel drive. Will start on this tomorrow. Thanks Tom!!!
Posted By: tbuckles Re: Pump Loading Dolly - Wed Apr 06 2016 11:43 PM
Aaahhhhh....the retired life! Now I have time to do these silly little things.
Tom.
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: Pump Loading Dolly - Thu Apr 07 2016 12:12 AM
How about a drawing with dimensions and location of the notch! I like this more than mine!
Posted By: Tankar Re: Pump Loading Dolly - Thu Apr 07 2016 12:17 AM
Kevin the notch will vary depending on height of tailgate.
Posted By: trifiver Re: Pump Loading Dolly - Thu Apr 07 2016 12:21 AM
Great IDEA !!!!!

Thank you

Sid
Posted By: Craig Osbeck Re: Pump Loading Dolly - Thu Apr 07 2016 12:37 AM
Great idea, and hope that tail gate is strong.
Posted By: tbuckles Re: Pump Loading Dolly - Thu Apr 07 2016 12:38 AM
John is exactly right about the notch, it depend on the height of the tail gate. I wish I was smart enough to give a mathematical calculation...but.....I just eyeballed it. Before you cut the notch get someone to help lift and try varying the angle till you find the right pivot point.
Posted By: TheGriffin Re: Pump Loading Dolly - Thu Apr 07 2016 12:38 AM
This sure beats the peice of plywood I keep in the back of my truck. Thanks tom!
Posted By: Ed Steagall Re: Pump Loading Dolly - Thu Apr 07 2016 01:46 AM
confused Maybe a couple different notches located a couple inches apart. Tallness and weight of the pump will vary, equals balance point varies. My Daddy always said: "Work smarter, not harder." wink Ed.
Posted By: dalin Re: Pump Loading Dolly - Thu Apr 07 2016 02:24 AM
Good idea, I'd build one if I moved pumps around a lot. What about retractable wheels or wheels that can be added once on the ground so you could also use it as a dolly/truck cart, also.
Posted By: 47reo-travis Re: Pump Loading Dolly - Thu Apr 07 2016 04:39 AM
Pretty neat Tom.
Posted By: gasmansgp Re: Pump Loading Dolly - Thu Apr 07 2016 02:03 PM
Tom, I woke up at 3 A.M. this morning and realized that the pump was not attached to the loading rack? Won't it bounce off during your travels? Maybe a strap or two would help? I'm retired too and this is what I think about when I should be asleep. LOL! Paul www.severngaspumps.com
Posted By: r49th Re: Pump Loading Dolly - Thu Apr 07 2016 02:31 PM
Why a notch? I would think a 1x2, or maybe a couple of them , across the back side would be better. It would still catch the tailgate and you wouldn't have to worry about the notches lining up.
Posted By: Keystone Gas Man Re: Pump Loading Dolly - Thu Apr 07 2016 02:36 PM
Originally Posted By r49th
Why a notch? I would think a 1x2, or maybe a couple of them , across the back side would be better. It would still catch the tailgate and you wouldn't have to worry about the notches lining up.
I would think 1x2s would drag on the tailgate and bed making it harder to load.JMO
Posted By: bsplichal95 Re: Pump Loading Dolly - Thu Apr 07 2016 03:35 PM
Good idea!!
Posted By: BryceG Re: Pump Loading Dolly - Thu Apr 07 2016 06:10 PM
better build another one Tom... i know you're never loading just one!
Posted By: Mike M. Re: Pump Loading Dolly - Thu Apr 07 2016 06:25 PM
[/quote] I would think 1x2s would drag on the tailgate and bed making it harder to load.JMO[/quote]

Agreed !
Posted By: tbuckles Re: Pump Loading Dolly - Fri Apr 08 2016 03:06 PM
Now I woke up this morning worrying about my friend Paul not sleeping well, so I needed to make an addition.

The great thing about retirement is that I can implement design changes quickly, holddown straps it is.

Now that I got Paul sleeping better at night Craig has to bring up the tailgate thing, now I'm worrying....LOL.

This time I loaded a fully loaded pump and it still was not a strain but it did take two hands, not two fingers to pickup.

As always, there is more than one way to skin a cat, share if you got an idea.

Tom.

Attached picture IMG_20160408_18749.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20160408_27823.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20160408_39516.jpg
Posted By: gasmansgp Re: Pump Loading Dolly - Fri Apr 08 2016 08:08 PM
Now you have something to be proud of! LOL! The straps will let me rest peacefully tonight. Thank you Tom. Paul www.severngaspumps.com
Posted By: blacktee Re: Pump Loading Dolly - Sat Apr 09 2016 12:21 AM

Great job Tom, I like it. You need a patent on it. LOL. You asked about Ideas. A nice coat of paint and some stickers you might have laying around. In your case maybe some Sinclair & Mopar stickers.

I'm only 20 miles from you Tom visiting the wife's parents in Indy after returning from Florida. Not the best of weather to ask for a tour and a ride. But rest a sured I'll be back later this spring & summer. Again great design & job on the pump dolly. Doug
Posted By: Smoketree Re: Pump Loading Dolly - Sun Apr 10 2016 02:23 AM
Tom:

On my old dolly, I oriented the crosspieces so that the long boards formed a small barrier on each side of the pump. That eliminated any side-to-side sliding and any need for straps (so far). I am definitely in debt to you, though, for the idea of the notch and the concept of the metal lip at the bottom. Looks like I have some work to do this weekend.

Attached picture IMAG0303.jpg
Attached picture IMAG0304.jpg
Posted By: Old Racer Re: Pump Loading Dolly - Sun Apr 10 2016 10:08 AM
Great setup Tom! I just always used a 24" wide piece of 1/2" plywood with the lower lip and some carpet to protect patina on a nice pump. But I love the wheels on one end. My wife is getting to old to lift those pumps into the truck. grin
So as long as we are WAY over thinking this, how about an arm that swings out with a winch and cable? smirk smirk
Looks like you are getting serious about your retirement.....
As long as we are sharing:
Now how about a good dolly? This one will move a cast iron visible through grass, sand and gravel. Also easy to push up a ramp. On a flat surface you can move a visible with one hand.
Posted By: intagas Re: Pump Loading Dolly - Sun Apr 10 2016 10:13 AM
So glad i collect cans.
Posted By: tbuckles Re: Pump Loading Dolly - Sun Apr 10 2016 01:37 PM
Originally Posted By intagas
So glad i collect cans.

Smart man!
Posted By: Speedracer Re: Pump Loading Dolly - Fri Apr 15 2016 04:07 AM
Originally Posted By blacktee

Great job Tom, I like it. You need a patent on it.

I HEARD THEY ARE MAKING THEM IN INDIA NOW... grin
Posted By: GHH Re: Pump Loading Dolly - Wed Apr 20 2016 03:00 AM
Great design. could the foot be extended out and work for visible pumps?
Posted By: tbuckles Re: Pump Loading Dolly - Wed Apr 20 2016 11:27 AM
I have seen some that were built for visibles by making them a little narrower and deeper to cradle the pump. I used 2x4's, you could use 2x6's to make it deeper. It would be a good idea to use a larger piece of angle iron at the bottom, I just used what I had laying around.

Tom.
Posted By: GHH Re: Pump Loading Dolly - Wed Apr 20 2016 01:24 PM
I'm going to give it a whirl latter. Thanks
Posted By: Gas Pump Rob Re: Pump Loading Dolly - Thu Apr 21 2016 02:59 AM
Hi Tom, I love. It! So simple that I am wondering why I never made one lol. See you at IG !
Rob
Posted By: Gas Pump Rob Re: Pump Loading Dolly - Thu Apr 21 2016 03:18 AM
Tom, you could sell these. Make multiple notches for different truck hights .
Posted By: tbuckles Re: Pump Loading Dolly - Thu Apr 21 2016 10:31 PM
Rob,
That's all I need to do right now, I can't hardly keep up on all the orders for parts, I guess people figured out I retired. ...LOL.
Look forward to seeing you at IG.
Tom.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk