Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: TRM Gas Pumps - Thu Sep 08 2016 07:20 PM
Hi,
Question. Do you think gas pumps are or are considered more valuable or less valuable with their internals still intact?
Or maybe it does not even matter? It does add a lot of weight thats for sure. Curious on any opinions.
Posted By: Mike M. Re: Gas Pumps - Thu Sep 08 2016 07:28 PM
Welcome to Old-Gas.

this discussion has been going on since Gas Pumps became collectable and the answer always seems to be...do what you want with the inners as some like them complete and others think it's lighter and cleaner without them. The only ones I have left the inners in are the survivor pumps that are still intact to the point that, if needed they could pump gas again.

Prior conversations of the same:

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=320010&page=all
Posted By: BryceG Re: Gas Pumps - Thu Sep 08 2016 07:41 PM
Originally Posted By TRM
Hi,
Question. Do you think gas pumps are or are considered more valuable or less valuable with their internals still intact?
Or maybe it does not even matter? It does add a lot of weight thats for sure. Curious on any opinions.

like Mike said... age old question. just like the full vs empty oil can question.

short answer is... it doesnt matter, do what you prefer. it will not affect value. sure, some will not want it gutted, but others wont want it with guts.
Posted By: TRM Re: Gas Pumps - Thu Sep 08 2016 10:01 PM
Thank you both for your responses. Much appreciated. Makes sense.
Posted By: KZ1000 Re: Gas Pumps - Thu Sep 08 2016 10:08 PM
I would disagree that it doesn't matter anymore. with the interest in survivor pumps recently there are some who will only buy them if still intact and will pay a premium. It sure does seem to me that in the near future the intact pumps are going to be "The Ones" most sought.
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: Gas Pumps - Thu Sep 08 2016 10:17 PM
I'll always pay more if it still has it's guts intact. wink
Posted By: Gasoline George Re: Gas Pumps - Fri Sep 09 2016 07:57 AM
I prefer to buy my visibles with all the guts simply because they are mechanical. I would not buy them otherwise. Electric pumps are different. I prefer to have the electric motor removed because it is simply useless unless you plan to use it. Also reduces the weight significantly. I don't think the price is affected with gutted electric pumps but it is with visibles. It's just my opinion.
Posted By: TRM Re: Gas Pumps - Fri Sep 09 2016 01:41 PM
Very interesting thoughts.
Posted By: 60wayne Re: Gas Pumps - Fri Sep 09 2016 01:59 PM
I gut all the pumps I take to shows. Less weight, less smell. I leave them unrestored. the buyer can restore anyway they want. Easer to move, so you scratch it a little , big deal. I collect pumps and I gut them for the same reasons. The curb pumps and visibles you keep intact. The guts hold them together. IF I had a real odd ball pump I would keep it intact.
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: Gas Pumps - Fri Sep 09 2016 02:13 PM
I know we all have our opinions about this,but I would rather see this..

Attached picture gaspump1111.jpg
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: Gas Pumps - Fri Sep 09 2016 02:13 PM
Then this..

Attached picture gaspumpsunoco0001.jpg
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: Gas Pumps - Fri Sep 09 2016 03:27 PM
That's easy! Sell them with the guts intact and the new owners can make their own decision!
Posted By: Oldgas Re: Gas Pumps - Fri Sep 09 2016 06:14 PM
This question is in our forum of "Frequently Asked Questions"

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=242439
Posted By: cannonball Re: Gas Pumps - Fri Sep 09 2016 10:15 PM
I have been collecting pumps for over 40 years and have had 100 + over the years . I used to restore them and sell them . It was the thing to do then. I wish I had kept some of those survivor pumps. My wife is a professional photographer and watercolor artist and always told me to wait until she had captured all the colors that only time and mother nature can provide. I am now down to 7 pumps and all except one have the original colors and patina. 5 have the guts intact and people always want to look inside and seem to like the complete ones better and now I have the appreciation for the engineering involved in these and always look for a complete one . I will never restore a nice patina pump or gut one but then again I don't have to move them around and none are in the house
Posted By: TRM Re: Gas Pumps - Fri Sep 09 2016 11:20 PM
Very cool to hear all your thoughts on these. I think my guy liked that his pumps have the guts. He has had these for 30 years or so. So none are perfect but they still look good. He's still keeping a few as well. He's always kept his indoors except years ago when he would bring them to shows.
Posted By: Gasoline George Re: Gas Pumps - Sat Sep 10 2016 12:01 AM
What type of pumps do you have? Visibles, electric ??
Posted By: 1PetroFan Re: Gas Pumps - Sat Sep 10 2016 12:22 AM
I've gone full circle on this topic. When I first started I wanted to gut every pump I bought and do them up with repop plates and globes and throw two different colors of paint on them. A few years later, it could kick myself for taking a couple pumps and removing the aged patina to do it up to make it look like new. I've said it before, my friends do not understand how I can not do up my more recent finds like I did up my earlier pumps, but I couldn't be happier leaving them like I find them, guts and all. Brady
Posted By: TRM Re: Gas Pumps - Sat Sep 10 2016 12:24 AM
Well im not an expert on these but I believe they are all electric. None have any large areas where you can see the gas being pumped. the 1930 has the clock face for the gallons. Several others range from 1950 to 1960.
Posted By: Jack Sim Re: Gas Pumps - Sat Sep 10 2016 12:45 AM
I like the comment "if needed they could all pump gas again." About once a month I get a email asking me if I know where they can get gaskets for their old pumps.

Inside the pump and the meter is about one gallon of the worse smelling old gas. Sell this pump to someone, he puts it in his family room, somebody decided to turn the pulley and out comes the gas. That is why I never sold a pump with the guts still in them.

Jack Sim
Posted By: 57-Chevy Re: Gas Pumps - Sat Sep 10 2016 02:38 AM
IMHO guts in electric pumps will always be worthless, never had a soul in over 20 years of collecting ever want to look inside of one. Like everyone said, do what you want. I personally will never pay more for a pump with guts. I'll still gut every one I get. It's the first thing I do when they are unloaded at shop. The beauty to me will always be the external cabinet. To each his own I guess, just have fun!
Posted By: MATT ALVAREZ Re: Gas Pumps - Sat Sep 10 2016 02:54 AM
One reason I gut my pumps is I have limited space so I use the pumps with swing open or lift off doors as storage.
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: Gas Pumps - Sat Sep 10 2016 11:28 AM
Guts are a great hidden theft deterrent as well.All mine have shown me that.
Posted By: TRM Re: Gas Pumps - Sat Sep 10 2016 12:45 PM
Makes them very heavy with the guts indeed.
Posted By: Done4 Re: Gas Pumps - Sat Sep 10 2016 01:16 PM
I let the pump tell me what should be done. There is point that the condition dictates what should be done. The ones that are badly in disrepair deserve to have a second life so I restore them. I have pumps restored but most are as they were found. Those are just cleaned up and allowed to be as is. When I do restore them I usually gut them because they end up in our great room which makes it some what easier to handle.

But it is what you want, pretty simple.
Posted By: TRM Re: Gas Pumps - Sat Sep 10 2016 10:27 PM
I appreciate all the comments and a bit surprised it is more of a hot topic than i expected.
Posted By: bsplichal95 Re: Gas Pumps - Sun Sep 11 2016 01:58 AM
Its been asked so many times. My opinion is I leave the guts in all pumps period.
Posted By: Let er' Buck Re: Gas Pumps - Sun Sep 11 2016 04:15 AM
All I can say is I have never been inspired to buy a pump because of what was inside. But as of lately I haven't gutted any, can't say why I just haven't....
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: Gas Pumps - Sun Sep 11 2016 11:41 AM
And once their gone,they're gone. frown
Posted By: TRM Re: Gas Pumps - Sun Sep 11 2016 12:11 PM
If only new gas pumps looked as good, had as much detail as the old pumps. Wonder if anyone would ever collect a more recent pump. I know I probably would not.
Posted By: Mike618b Re: Gas Pumps - Mon Sep 12 2016 12:26 AM
If you're selling them, leave the guts. They're only good for scrap and the work and mess involved to remove them is not worth your time and effort.
Posted By: 57-Chevy Re: Gas Pumps - Mon Sep 12 2016 01:00 AM
Originally Posted By Mike618b
If you're selling them, leave the guts. They're only good for scrap and the work and mess involved to remove them is not worth your time and effort.

I wouldn't dare say that. I cashed a $3k check after hauling several loads of pump guts and motors one Friday!
Posted By: TRM Re: Gas Pumps - Mon Sep 12 2016 12:54 PM
Wow thats a nice check for the internal "scraps"
Posted By: canadianoilguy Re: Gas Pumps - Mon Sep 12 2016 01:16 PM
I'll pay more for one that's already gutted. my opinion is nobody will open the pump or pump gas with it again. So you run a bigger risk damaging the important gas pump parts and your back when moving them with guts (yes even with the dollies and equipment which makes moving them so easy). Again, just my opinion. Its not like an old car where someone will drive it again and it important to have an engine under the hood.
Posted By: TRM Re: Gas Pumps - Mon Sep 12 2016 05:13 PM
Again appreciate all the comments and feedback. As of now it appears the guts are staying as that is what the owner/collector of these pumps that I am marketing for him wants. All good conversation though!
Posted By: TRM Re: Gas Pumps - Mon Sep 12 2016 05:14 PM
Who do I contact here to list the pumps I am selling on the forum? Maybe someone here may be interested in them?
Thanks, Tom
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: Gas Pumps - Mon Sep 12 2016 05:29 PM
Read here-----> http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=550309#Post550309
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk