Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: overandout Scobie - Mon Oct 24 2016 03:56 PM
I finally got to speak with the great Ron Scobie today and let me assure I will never speak with him again. After calling him about an order I asked about earlier and never got a response on, I needed other items listed on his website. I emailed about that and never heard back so I called this morning. When he found out I purchased a cylinder from someone else, he said just get the handle from them too and hung up on me. I called back and kindly said, "we must have been cut off". He then told me "no, I was through and hung up. I have 50 orders ahead of you" and hung up on me again. Im writing this just to tell others of my experience with this so called "petro legend". Let me assure you Mr Scobie, I will never bother you again. My suggestion to you to is to either hire some help if you are that busy, or get out of the business. I have never been treated so rudely and I promise you this, Mr Legend, if you ever saw me in person, Im most certain that you wouldnt speak to me in the tone that you did on the phone this morning nor would you choose to be such an ***** to me to my face. Hanging up on me would not be an option. For someone who relies on other peoples money (customers) for his products, you would think one would treat people with the same dignity and respect that they would want to be treated with. Thank you Mr Legend for showing me what you are all about. There are too many kind, respectful people out there willing to help each other out. Those are the ones I choose to give my money and time to. Thanks to all the other good folks out there Ive had the pleasure to deal with thus far and will do so again in the future. Mr Scobie, you will never see a dime from me. Rant over. Everyone please have a great week!
Posted By: st.rod Re: Scobie - Mon Oct 24 2016 04:30 PM
That right there is funny I don't care who you are. Lots of people feel the same

Larry
Posted By: Dale Stephens Re: Scobie - Mon Oct 24 2016 08:55 PM
I agree. Had the same experience with him a few years back. If someone else doesn't have it, I don't need it...
Posted By: overandout Re: Scobie - Mon Oct 24 2016 09:52 PM
Not trying to bash the guy, just saying there is no need for someone to talk to or treat others the way he did me. Im getting plenty of feedback on him though. Most people seem to be concerned about getting black listed or having their account deleted for talking about their dealings with him, but yet they agree with me. Its all good. Im sure my thread will somehow get deleted. If I cant find what I need out there, I'll just make it. Thanks for the feedback
Posted By: st.rod Re: Scobie - Mon Oct 24 2016 09:57 PM
You are new here but ya' gotta be able to speak your mind. Particularly when its truth. Its all good...mostly. The more people I meet the more I like my dog.

Larry
Posted By: Catauladave Re: Scobie - Mon Oct 24 2016 10:02 PM
What kind of dog do you have ? lol Every dog has it's day.
Remember this...you never know what someone else is going through. Not making excuses...just making a statement. Dave
Posted By: st.rod Re: Scobie - Mon Oct 24 2016 10:14 PM
My dog is having a great day. This has been going on forever.

Larry
Posted By: overandout Re: Scobie - Mon Oct 24 2016 10:43 PM
Exactly Dave. That is precisely an excuse. Treat EVERYONE with dignity and respect. You may be walking through hell.....but so might the person you are dealing with as well
Posted By: st.rod Re: Scobie - Mon Oct 24 2016 10:49 PM
Just got a nice little phone call from an old gas guy that took the time to bash Dick Bennett.. He has been gone two years. I guess he thought he would hurt me. Nice try Neil
Posted By: Morgan Re: Scobie - Mon Oct 24 2016 11:07 PM
I quit dealing with him years ago for the same reasons. He can be a great guy, when he needs to borrow something from you. Always thought he was bipolar.

I got no time for people that can't treat you with respect. No time for backstabbers either.
Posted By: arw Re: Scobie - Mon Oct 24 2016 11:30 PM
Ok now this is not the place to start bashing Ron!
If anyone has had a bad deal then you just starting making your own parts and find out how fun it is. Go have someone else do it or just go buy a new one (lol). I know many people in this HOBBY and its a lot more FUN, if we don't start trashing people on here.
For the sake of the keyboard cowboys stop beating this horse. We all have bad days! Best of luck with your search for you parts

Alan Whitaker
Whiteland Indiana
317-753-4944 cell
Posted By: KZ1000 Re: Scobie - Mon Oct 24 2016 11:44 PM
People praise others for great jobs or deeds done, there is nothing wrong with letting people know about bad deals also.

I will also add that I am blacklisted from him also because I bought parts from Past Gas and recommended them to someone else.

Its his loss not mine.
Posted By: Done4 Re: Scobie - Tue Oct 25 2016 12:00 AM
ARW, with all do respect the initial thread was not thrashing Ron. More just venting a bad experience. Go chill out dude.
Posted By: Jbsmith Re: Scobie - Tue Oct 25 2016 12:26 AM
Hey Fellas.. Spoke with Ron through email today.. I had originally sent him an email list of parts I would like to order for my Fry17 and he said he was waiting on the conduit and handles. I checked back with him through email yesterday and he said he would not be able to fill any orders at this time.

I also posed two questions in the original email about a couple of the parts. 1. 2 X Tank Floats ( Would like to have the float system.. Are these all I need??)
2. Cast Iron "Guarantee Liquid Measure" Door (Will this fit a Non-Cast Iron pump??)

I replied back and said, Yes, Sir.. and asked him if he would please answer the two questions in the original email.
to which I got a blank email reply.. Not sure what this means..
Maybe to screw off??

Just trying to support the guy.. Hope all is well with him
Hey Ron.. If you read this will you please answer my 2 questions?

Thanks
Jeremy Smith
Posted By: arw Re: Scobie - Tue Oct 25 2016 02:30 AM
Sorry Les I'm cool smile
Posted By: JimT Re: Scobie - Tue Oct 25 2016 08:57 AM
Im not telling anyone what they should think or do, but Ive bought a fair number of parts from Ron and have never had a problem. I will continue to do so until he pulls the plug. I send in my wants through email and he sends the parts with a bill. I dont send him tons of inquires because I know he is overwhelmed with work, as well as other personal stuff. You say he should hire some one. Maybe he doesnt want too. Maybe he cant find some one who shares his passion. Its his company, and he seems to have quite a number of customers. On our first deal, I couldnt believe he sent the parts before payment and trusted a stranger. Not every one deals with stress in the same way. Not every one is capable of being a saint all the time. To say we should all be great at treating people like we think they should is unrealistic. (See Mother Teresa).His work is his passion- dealing with people, not so much.Im sure,like me, Ron loves his dog too. For me, its not a personality contest. He makes amazing parts-and lots of them. We have lots of guys at work who love to talk and socialize all day long but are far less than adequate at their "profession" Others that wont give you the time of day who are great, talented workers . I would take the latter on my crew every day of the week. Every once in awhile you find the "perfect" guy- but eventually the chink in their armor is revealed and he comes down off his pedestal. Lots of times, ***** kissers have gotten that way for a reason. Some people work with their hands -some people get through with their mouth. I think Ron is so passionate at what he does ,that basically he created a monster. Look at his list of parts. Its amazing what one guy has done. Ron is so good at what he does and is at the age where he doesnt need to deal with whatever his perception of bull ***** is, and for all of us- our perception is our reality.
Years ago, I once had a semi blow out with another vendor , and didnt make a big deal out of it on a public forum, I apologized for my part in the situation and didnt expect anything in return from him. Eventually we both got over it and I have bought stuff from him since....
Posted By: hancock-oil Re: Scobie - Tue Oct 25 2016 10:27 AM
I've had nothing but good experiences with Ron he is my go to guy for parts and if he doesn't have them he will try and find it for you... Jim
Posted By: oldnfuelish Re: Scobie - Tue Oct 25 2016 10:48 AM
Same here,Ron has always been helpful,and sent parts as soon as he could. Doesn't usually have time to chat much,but that's cause he's usually busier than heck packing parts.
Posted By: Ohio Oil Re: Scobie - Tue Oct 25 2016 11:02 AM
Hate it when this site becomes a forum to vent about a deal gone bad.

It's great when we are advised of a rip off artist ... but threads about emails not getting returned or getting hung up on ... sounds like a bunch of women.
Posted By: Catauladave Re: Scobie - Tue Oct 25 2016 11:14 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uepFO4psgKE
Posted By: gaspumpfrank Re: Scobie - Tue Oct 25 2016 12:21 PM
Quit your crying and find someone else to make your parts.
Posted By: Craig Osbeck Re: Scobie - Tue Oct 25 2016 12:42 PM
Saw this post and could not help but want to comment. Have had my impatient go arounds with all the gas pump parts guys for sure. One thing I did with all of them at the get go was to keep on asking when, why can't, and when. Took me a few years to realize that everyone else had 15-50 people asking them to do the same thing and I would just have to wait like everyone else.
We are not in the big dollar market of parts here like say the auto parts national stores, but have a few dedicated people who service our hobby. They may all wish to have more help or less help, but who doesn't and who can afford this?
Ron has always came through for me with my parts and yes information. Been around the block with him for over thirty years I believe and I would hope to be there longer.
Is he busy, you bet, does he have his own personal things going on, You bet.
He still helps a lot of people. I can't say as to what else goes on, but I know one thing, one by one the guys who make stuff in the hobby may go away. We will be looking and wishing they were still here, god knows we have lost a lot of the older collectors.

Our friend Dick Bennett comes to mind, Uncle Dick
Posted By: Restore-Pumps Re: Scobie - Tue Oct 25 2016 12:48 PM
Opinions are like asses everyone has one and most of them stink.
Posted By: bsplichal95 Re: Scobie - Tue Oct 25 2016 10:13 PM
Ron has been nothing but great to me for everything I have ever needed. We have always gotten along and never have I had a bad experience with him. What he has done and continues to do for all of us is a blessing to us. Yes he is terribly busy and sure sometimes things get on his nerve just like anyone else. Just my opinion about Ron and our past dealings. Nothing but good things to say about him.
Posted By: jhyers3 Re: Scobie - Wed Oct 26 2016 09:37 PM
I think mr ron scobie is one of the best in the business has helped me a lot just gets very busy at times need to wait our turn.on the other hand could tell about some others but won't .have met some pump guys that started the word rude .try to treat every one the same and be up front.to all have a bless day
Posted By: dundign Re: Scobie - Wed Oct 26 2016 11:24 PM
Rons the man in my book !
Posted By: LOWright Re: Scobie - Wed Oct 26 2016 11:34 PM
I just bought some Roman Parts and i didn't have any problem at all.......
Posted By: Old Racer Re: Scobie - Thu Oct 27 2016 12:44 AM
Okay let me get this straight. Someone decides to "restore" a pump. They come on here and ask for help.
"I have a Southwest visible ok 7d that I am restoring. I need help finding a few items if anyone can help point me in the right direction. I need to find the bottom cast base, the bottom cast piece of the visible tank part and also where I might find a place that either carries or services the old internal semi-rotary hand pump. Thanks for the approval and any help you can give."

So the ONE man who supplies the rarest parts available in the hobby should jump up and down when he receives an order from that person. One man in his early seventies who has a life and family outside of this hobby. He should hire someone to help OR GET OUT OF THE HOBBY! If you haven't restored more than one or two pumps in your life that are older than you are, YOU NEED TO SLOW DOWN AND LEARN OR GET OUT OF THE HOBBY.
Ron has been supplying RARE parts to people in the hobby longer than anybody. If and when Ron pulls the plug the hobby will know it. I don't see anyone starting a competing business. Big deal you can have one part made. Try making hundreds. This is NOT a business for Ron. He retired many years ago and I don't believe he needs the money. He truly loves the hobby.
Bottom line to the people who don't like Ron or will never spend a dime with him again. You are the MINORITY.
STICK YOUR FINGER IN A GLASS OF WATER AND PULL IT OUT AND SEE WHAT KIND OF HOLE YOU LEAVE.
Posted By: Craig Osbeck Re: Scobie - Thu Oct 27 2016 12:59 AM
That is funny, had to laugh.

Who thinks of these things ??
Posted By: Ed Steagall Re: Scobie - Thu Oct 27 2016 03:35 AM
wink Craig, these funny short quips are just an "Old Cooter's Thing." Another dying Art that will be lost some day. You never hear Malenials talking that way! LOL.
Ed.
Posted By: TN Volunteer Re: Scobie - Thu Oct 27 2016 04:55 AM
You may think its cool to burn a bridge now in the heat of the moment, but just wait till you get pump that no one else makes the parts for. Then you will have wished you hadn't burnt that bridge. I have done business with Ron Scobie for years and would go to him in a heart beat for parts. Before I met Ron, I bought parts from some other vendors and when the parts came they didn't fit worth a damn, so I had to make them work. (Anybody who has had to make parts work that dont fit knows that it ends up looking like it was "made to fit".) Supposedly they were made from exact measurements. Every part that I have ever bought from Ron S. has been perfect even the special orders that he made just for me cause the pump was just that rare. So before you decide to burn a bridge...step back and THINK before you run your mouth and do a cost to benefit ratio. You might find that swallowing your pride may be in your best interest.
Posted By: rkmiller Re: Scobie - Thu Oct 27 2016 06:29 PM
I have talked to Ron a few times over the phone and email the last 4 years and has always been good to me.

Dealing with the public - ie: multiple people at the same time you have to be on your A game 100% of the time. I think we all can agree that nobody ever is.

With that said, he has good solid products and that says a lot to his attention to detail and interest in his work.
Posted By: Mike M. Re: Scobie - Thu Oct 27 2016 07:29 PM
I'm sorry but Until you take the time to meet and see the man in action and understand why he is and does all that he does for this hobby, nothing you say about Ron would change my thoughts about him.

Ron Scobie does not have a drive up window at his business and never has tried to be compared to a fast food service. He has shown that if you have patience, he will supply you with knowledge, what parts he has, try to make what you need or refer you to another supplier that he know has what your looking for!

Ron doesn't do this stuff to make a living and never has as he has always enjoyed doing it for his love of the hobby and his knowledge of the parts needed in our restorations.

Ron and his wife Cathy are the total makeup of his staff and they have always enjoyed it that way.

If a guy has to shut down sales for a whole month just to get caught up on orders, I'm sorry but he must be doing things correctly for a lot of us.

Being he is retired and has a family, one who actually knows him would understand that not every minute of every day is spent taking rare pump parts to have new ones cast!!!!

Ron is not someone who likes sitting still, so if he can't find the time to fill your order, there is a reason!!! Those who know him know that when he had surgery for a recent health issue also know that he was told to rest afterwards and Cathy just about had to tie him down to keep from filling orders.

So please don't be offended that I don't like this thread even though you have the right to start it and vent. Ron will treat any customer and friend the same that they treat him so maybe there is more to this story. I know some time back that Ron bent over backwards to fill/ship an order for a customer and then had to travel to his small town many states away just to take him to court to get paid because he trusted the guy to send payment....all that just for a hobby he loves!

I add my name to the list of those who enjoy doing business with Ron Scobie and if he leaves this world before me, I understand how much he will be missed not just as a restoration supplier but as a friend.
Posted By: philmccauley Re: Scobie - Thu Oct 27 2016 09:29 PM
I have done business with Ron for years and not a problem.
Posted By: gasmansgp Re: Scobie - Thu Oct 27 2016 09:34 PM
Originally Posted By Mike M.
I'm sorry but Until you take the time to meet and see the man in action and understand why he is and does all that he does for this hobby, nothing you say about Ron would change my thoughts about him.

Ron Scobie does not have a drive up window at his business and never has tried to be compared to a fast food service. He has shown that if you have patience, he will supply you with knowledge, what parts he has, try to make what you need or refer you to another supplier that he know has what your looking for!

Ron doesn't do this stuff to make a living and never has as he has always enjoyed doing it for his love of the hobby and his knowledge of the parts needed in our restorations.

Ron and his wife Cathy are the total makeup of his staff and they have always enjoyed it that way.

If a guy has to shut down sales for a whole month just to get caught up on orders, I'm sorry but he must be doing things correctly for a lot of us.

Being he is retired and has a family, one who actually knows him would understand that not every minute of every day is spent taking rare pump parts to have new ones cast!!!!

Ron is not someone who likes sitting still, so if he can't find the time to fill your order, there is a reason!!! Those who know him know that when he had surgery for a recent health issue also know that he was told to rest afterwards and Cathy just about had to tie him down to keep from filling orders.

So please don't be offended that I don't like this thread even though you have the right to start it and vent. Ron will treat any customer and friend the same that they treat him so maybe there is more to this story. I know some time back that Ron bent over backwards to fill/ship an order for a customer and then had to travel to his small town many states away just to take him to court to get paid because he trusted the guy to send payment....all that just for a hobby he loves!

I add my name to the list of those who enjoy doing business with Ron Scobie and if he leaves this world before me, I understand how much he will be missed not just as a restoration supplier but as a friend.
I agree 150% with you Mike. Ron has always been an honest friend in the hobby. It pains me to read all of these snide remarks. He does not deserve this and if you think that he treated you rudely, you have never gotten [me] cranked up. I can be a bigger nightmare than anyone.....including someone having a bad day. Not something I am proud of but true, none-the-less. This site was never made to air our dirty laundry like this and I find it sad that it was started by a newby who has nothing to bring here but bitterness. As said before " Grow up." Get along or go somewhere else. We were fine without you. Paul www.severngaspumps.com
Posted By: Craig Osbeck Re: Scobie - Thu Oct 27 2016 10:09 PM
Paul, Tell us what you really think ??
Posted By: Watchdog9 Re: Scobie - Fri Oct 28 2016 02:06 AM
I am locking this topic up for various reasons. I believe it has gone far enough that everyone gets the point. In this world of electronic communication, there is often a lot that is lost in the progress of the discussion, and often times, the subject gets diverted down a path that is other than what was intended.
Old Gas was never intended to be used as a forum to discount others or air our concerns about them, unless it concerns an issue that affects all of the membership in many ways.
All of us have had problems within the hobby at one time or another, and the individuals that really rise above those problems, have done a little research and consulted others about ways to better understand the problem and if there is anything they could do to circumvent the problem. Patience is a virtue and this hobby seems to demand a lot of patience from all of us.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk