Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: tccoco41 Mobil Oil plastic top for a 1970's round pump - Mon Dec 26 2016 09:50 PM
Does anyone remember the round Mobil pumps from the 70's. It had stainless steel skirts and had a plastic top that would lite up. Anyone know where I could find the plastic top?
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: Mobil Oil plastic top for a 1970's round pump - Mon Dec 26 2016 10:47 PM
Sure do..

Attached picture pumpmobil.jpg
Posted By: Jack Sim Re: Mobil Oil plastic top for a 1970's round pump - Mon Dec 26 2016 11:16 PM
Not the 70s, 1965. Most will remember them as being built by Wayne, but the identical pump was also made by Gilbarco. There was a single hose pump, a twin and a matching oil can cabinet. Mobil also built stations with a large white canopy covering the islands.

Jack Sim
Posted By: Old Racer Re: Mobil Oil plastic top for a 1970's round pump - Tue Dec 27 2016 11:31 AM
I happen to be working on one that I have had for about fifteen years. Just dragged it out and blew the dust off. At one time I had I think twelve. Cleaned out a bulk warehouse and I didn't even want them. But the seller said I had to take ALL of the pumps AND all of the over 40 lubesters that were there. Nobody wanted the pumps and sold most for scrap. I sold most of the lubesters to Jim and Rory Brinkman.
Good luck finding a top. They are very brittle and cracked easily.
I kept one pump with good stainless and that was it. Not cheap to restore the stainless either. We are going to do a 100% restoration on this one.
Good luck on yours.

Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: Mobil Oil plastic top for a 1970's round pump - Tue Dec 27 2016 12:06 PM
Here's a double..

Attached picture gaspumpmobil2229764108_83f381e3f4_z.jpg
Posted By: keithia Re: Mobil Oil plastic top for a 1970's round pump - Wed Dec 28 2016 12:12 AM
Awesome!!
Posted By: RetroPetro Re: Mobil Oil plastic top for a 1970's round pump - Wed Dec 28 2016 12:42 AM
Tony, I may have a lead for you. Check your PM.
Posted By: Jack Sim Re: Mobil Oil plastic top for a 1970's round pump - Wed Dec 28 2016 07:21 AM
Cold Pizza,

Your picture above is much better than the pic I have for the next book, can I use your picture?

Also, is your pump a Wayne or a G&B?

One more thing, the pictures I have show a three wheel V/R, I would say your pump is probably from the 70s, am I correct?

Jack Sim
Posted By: Jack Sim Re: Mobil Oil plastic top for a 1970's round pump - Thu Dec 29 2016 11:57 PM
Forgot to mention that Elliot Noyes was the designer of the stations and the pumps.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eliot_Noyes

Here is another site where you can look at some strange service stations:

http://www.designcurial.com/news/gas-sta...s-2016-4854321/

Jack Sim
Posted By: BrianH Re: Mobil Oil plastic top for a 1970's round pump - Fri Dec 30 2016 03:35 AM
Man, those are some UGLY gas stations! It's hard to argue that we've progressed as a species when you compare those disasters to the old service stations of the 30's, 40's and 50's. Mankind is clearly in decline...

BrianH
Posted By: Craig Osbeck Re: Mobil Oil plastic top for a 1970's round pump - Fri Dec 30 2016 04:18 AM
I have three doubles of those in the process and am looking for stainless bottoms or skins also. I think they are a great pump and one for the future. Came out with the 64 or 65 mustang.
Posted By: Craig Osbeck Re: Mobil Oil plastic top for a 1970's round pump - Tue Dec 12 2017 11:53 PM
Anyone have some of the plastic tops for these pumps ?
cool pump!! I have a friend looking for the glass. Does anyone have one?
Posted By: nochevys Re: Mobil Oil plastic top for a 1970's round pump - Wed Dec 13 2017 03:41 PM
I've turned down several of those pumps the last few years because the tops are always cracked or broken. The tops are very hard to find...
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: Mobil Oil plastic top for a 1970's round pump - Wed Dec 13 2017 03:56 PM
And transport.
Posted By: Craig Osbeck Re: Mobil Oil plastic top for a 1970's round pump - Fri Dec 15 2017 01:55 AM
Have some glass and possibly some rubber.
Posted By: Yellowzebra Re: Mobil Oil plastic top for a 1970's round pump - Fri Feb 24 2023 05:28 PM
I bought one here in South Africa today - pics to follow - easiest the heaviest pump I have EVER had to move, the base casting is very substantial indeed, way way heavier than say a Wayne 505/605…!

Mine is in a bit of a state; missing both lower skins, the glass (Lexan? Acrylic? Polycarbonate?) is milky, and the top, well, that is gone…!

I figured the Triple VR was worth the low price - $50 - I paid for it, so,loaded it up.

This afternoon I stripped off a door, then disassembled the door to release the ‘glass’ (plastic), and to get to the perished rubber seal.ImTHINK I can source the rubber profile, and reckon I could get some acrylic BENT into the simple radius bend, and get 2 new ones made up.

Any and all suggestions welcome!
Pics to follow
Chris
Posted By: Yellowzebra Re: Mobil Oil plastic top for a 1970's round pump - Fri Feb 24 2023 05:30 PM
Another interesting fact; mine has the 4-roller HOSE RETRACTION mechanism bolted on, which Iam busy stripping.

What was REALLY interesting is the massive, ingenious ROLLER inside the cabinet, which manually ‘weighed down’ the hose, thus causing the auto-retraction- not a spring to be seen in sight!
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk