Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: ldj New member here - Sun May 14 2017 12:49 AM
I found out about this forum too late for help. So I'll tell you what I tried and it worked. 1st. I've had this old Southwest pump for 21 years and use it often to fill lawnmower, tiller, and put in gas cans to mix 2 cycle oil. It started working in just 1 direction of the handle so I took it apart and found leather cups were bad on one cylinder and was very thin on the other and they would have broke shortly. Couldn't find leather cups or pump shaft packing on any site for visible gas pumps. I checked at a place that repaired windmills and the had exact size of cups but no packing. For packing I bought 3/8" nylon rope and worked wheel bearing grease in it good and used it for packing. Put it all back together and it works perfect.

Why couldn't I find these parts on any site for these old visible gas pumps.

Pump photo attached

Attached picture IMG_20160220_083247_663.jpg
Posted By: advertologist Re: New member here - Sun May 14 2017 01:12 AM
appears too have been branded mobil at one time .. ... cool
Posted By: MATT ALVAREZ Re: New member here - Sun May 14 2017 03:24 AM
That is really cool that you still use it and was able to repair it. There is a ranch near my house that has a visable that is still being used.
Posted By: 67Chev4X4 Re: New member here - Sun May 14 2017 05:33 AM
one of the reasons you can't buy packing for gas and oil pumps anymore is that the EPA outlawed the use quite a few years ago. Packing to use right has to leak a little bit for lubrication. Messes up the atmosphere. I bought the packing for my visible on ebay. Mitch By the way welcome to the site.
Posted By: Morgan Re: New member here - Sun May 14 2017 08:00 AM
My local "old" hardware store still stocks the graphite packing in various sizes. I bought some not long ago to use on a Wayne.

Probably the reason you didn't find info on cups or packing on pump sites is because the great majority of these pumps aren't actually used for fuel.
Posted By: Steven C. Re: New member here - Sun May 14 2017 08:38 AM
Wow, someone actually using their pump!! So cool!!
Welcome to old gas!!
Posted By: ldj Re: New member here - Sun May 14 2017 01:05 PM
Through the years many people have saw my pump. Very few have ever saw one and not one of them have ever saw one actually work. When I got the pump I couldn't tell what brand gas it pumped in it's previous life. I put the Mobil decals on it
Leo
Posted By: SandPCollector Re: New member here - Sun May 14 2017 02:27 PM
Welcome to Oldgas. Great story, great pump!
Posted By: Jack Sim Re: New member here - Mon May 15 2017 12:49 AM
If it has a ID tag, what model is it?

Jack Sim
Posted By: bsplichal95 Re: New member here - Mon May 15 2017 01:26 AM
That is so darn cool! Welcome to OldGas!
Posted By: Jack Sim Re: New member here - Mon May 15 2017 05:58 PM
In 1956 I was in the Army at Ft. Leonard Wood. I had met a nurse who's family lived about 25 miles south of the Fort. This was in the heart of the Ozarks. To reach her parents home you had to drive down two dirt roads. At the junction of these roads was a general store with a visible gas pump outside. Once I pulled up there for gas. The old man came out and started pulling back and forth on the long handle. Naturally this pump was hand operated because it was purchased before they got electric. He put ten gallons in my tank. Gas was probably $.25 per gallon at that time. That same year was when the area got phone service. Years later I walked all around the property looking for the pump but never found it.
Incidentally I got married to her in the chapel at the Fort.

Jack Sim
Posted By: ldj Re: New member here - Mon May 15 2017 06:16 PM
Originally Posted By Jack Sim
If it has a ID tag, what model is it?

Jack Sim

Here is tag info.

Attached picture IMG_20170515_112738_161.jpg
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk