Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: chevy350 Ad glass question - Thu May 25 2017 06:01 PM
This may be answered somewhere but my question is this... I am replacing my ad glass in my Wayne 505 with reproduction "PREMIUM" and taking out the original "FIRESTONE". Well I snapped both "premium" ones trying to install. I noticed that my originals are much thicker .125 or 1/8" vs. new .088 or 11/125". Does someone remake these with thicker glass like originals or is it an industry standard? It seems like the originals fit into the groove on the rubber fine just a little snugger. Any help appreciated before I order again.Thank you

Attached picture CameraZOOM-20170525115358398resize.jpg
Posted By: Mr.Wadhams Re: Ad glass question - Thu May 25 2017 06:21 PM
11/125

metric ????
Posted By: chevy350 Re: Ad glass question - Thu May 25 2017 08:44 PM
Originally Posted By Mr.Wadhams
11/125

metric ????

The glass may have started at 3/32" but probably after sandblasting or??? ended up a tinge thinner, hence the approx. 11/125" measurement or .088. smile or that I just forgot to add the " (double prime).
Posted By: Mr.Wadhams Re: Ad glass question - Thu May 25 2017 09:11 PM
I was trying to be funny....seldom (never) works.

No such length measurement in the inch system....has to go 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32, 1/64, then 1/128th.....and that is not possible to see that fine of measurement on a ruler....so really 1/64" is the smallest you can read. .088 is very close to 3/32"

Jim
Posted By: Rabbitman Re: Ad glass question - Thu May 25 2017 09:30 PM
Not sure why you're having trouble. The last one I did was a Wayne 500 (and it uses the same glass) and I needed special glass for it. I just had my local glass shop cut me two pieces of single strength 1/8" glass for them and added the graphics. They went in fine without cracking. If the repro glass you got is that much thinner it would definitely be easier to break but should work. You must be putting them in a bind when installing them, they can be a bit tricky if you don't take your time. Don't know where you got them but I bought a set recently from T-Way's and I'm pretty sure they are 1/8" ....GB
Posted By: chevy350 Re: Ad glass question - Thu May 25 2017 09:45 PM
Originally Posted By Mr.Wadhams
I was trying to be funny....seldom (never) works.

No such length measurement in the inch system....has to go 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32, 1/64, then 1/128th.....and that is not possible to see that fine of measurement on a ruler....so really 1/64" is the smallest you can read. .088 is very close to 3/32"

Jim

Hahaha, I am using a vernier caliper so I guess it is too precise. smile I am terrible at picking up on sarcasm but enjoy it when I get it. (not often)
Posted By: chevy350 Re: Ad glass question - Thu May 25 2017 09:58 PM
Originally Posted By Rabbitman
Not sure why you're having trouble. The last one I did was a Wayne 500 (and it uses the same glass) and I needed special glass for it. I just had my local glass shop cut me two pieces of single strength 1/8" glass for them and added the graphics. They went in fine without cracking. If the repro glass you got is that much thinner it would definitely be easier to break but should work. You must be putting them in a bind when installing them, they can be a bit tricky if you don't take your time. Don't know where you got them but I bought a set recently from T-Way's and I'm pretty sure they are 1/8" ....GB

Good to know.I got them from Vic's. I called them and they said that they all come from the same supplier and therefor all the same thickness(thin). Not sure if that's true. Kind of hoping to find out here. I just assume the thicker the better to help with my clumsiness. frown I will look into T-Way's but site must be down.
Posted By: chevy350 Re: Ad glass question - Thu May 25 2017 10:25 PM
Called A nice guy @ T-Ways and I learned that they do theirs with Double Strength glass but use decal unlike the ones I got that I am guessing are single strength and fired? Sooo my ultimate find would be repo double strength fired (non decal) I dont ask for much. HEHEHE.
Posted By: chevy350 Re: Ad glass question - Fri May 26 2017 06:43 PM
Found what I was looking for!! Found some great guys that have what I wanted. @Pergl
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk