Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Steven C. Visine Gets the Red Out! - Thu May 25 2017 10:01 PM
So I recently had a conversation/debate with a fellow Oldgasser. Names will remain anonymous to protect the innocent. And his embarrassment when I"m proven correct. Well, hopefully anyway.
So did Pennzoil actually make signs without red bells? Maybe in between the older brown bell era and the later red bell era?
Or, as I had suggested, was the red was just gone due to sun damage?
I would love to see solid proof of this. A missing link type sign for example, that is half red and half clear, showing proof of fading.
Anyway, looking for solid proof if it's out there. A PORCELAIN sign (most Pennzoil signs are painted/printed) with a clear bell would also suffice.
Anyone have a clear sign with a date?

Attached picture 00r0r_i01F6dThtxO_1200x900.jpg
Posted By: ironheadtom Re: Visine Gets the Red Out! - Thu May 25 2017 10:26 PM
I had one that looked just like that. Painted. The red on mine was obviously faded.

Posted By: JimT Re: Visine Gets the Red Out! - Thu May 25 2017 11:45 PM
That sign you posted is enamel ,not porcelain ,Steve. I'm pretty sure its just faded.
Posted By: Mike M. Re: Visine Gets the Red Out! - Fri May 26 2017 12:37 AM
I've never seen one without the colored bell but I have seen them faded like that but still part of the color on the bell 🔔
Posted By: tbuckles Re: Visine Gets the Red Out! - Fri May 26 2017 10:48 AM
It seems that the reds fades worse than other colors. Never seen that sign without the red.
Posted By: Steven C. Re: Visine Gets the Red Out! - Mon Jun 12 2017 07:12 AM
So my friends and I are still constructively debating/researching this. And they have found several examples without any red. And they all seem to be dated in the late 40's.
I was starting to think maybe there was a period during or just after the war that some signage was made without the red. Then this morning I found this on ebay. 1948 Pennzoil vertical which always has red shadowing on all the letters. Here is a great example of one that maybe was under an overhang, so the top of the sign didn't get as much sun and some of the red is retained. But amazingly the red is completely gone from the rest of the lettering. As if it was never there!!

Attached picture penn.jpg
Attached picture penn2.jpg
Posted By: carolinaskies Re: Visine Gets the Red Out! - Tue Jun 13 2017 01:46 AM
Red pigment takes in more high energy particles from UV rays and breaks down quicker. That's the scientific explanation. This is especially a problem with organic pigments which were the prevalent available until the mid 1950s. Even then man-made pigments are still susceptible if not protected by clear coats that have UV rejection compounds.

BTW, early Pennzoil had green bells. I had a great sign a couple of years ago that dated to around 1919-1920 with the green bell.
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: Visine Gets the Red Out! - Tue Jun 13 2017 09:46 PM
...Steve, on the sign you posted above, the red has faded...it was there at one time...
Posted By: Steven C. Re: Visine Gets the Red Out! - Tue Jun 13 2017 11:36 PM
Originally Posted By gulfiend!
...Steve, on the sign you posted above, the red has faded...it was there at one time...

I realize. That is exactly my point. This sign is proof of just how severe the fading can be.
Posted By: chevy350 Re: Visine Gets the Red Out! - Fri Jun 23 2017 04:56 AM
I was wondering this myself. My sign has no dating on it and there is NO sign of red in the bell on either side. If I remember correctly the yellow in the bell is slightly a richer yellow but barely noticeable. Boy were the walls empty then...

Attached picture IMG_20170312_120004189.jpg
Posted By: Steven C. Re: Visine Gets the Red Out! - Tue Oct 17 2017 07:36 AM
Here is a great example of a sign that was once red with only a hint remaining. The red has simply faded away.
I don't believe there ever were signs made with clear bells. And any such sign is simply a faded sign.

Attached picture surb sign faded bell (2).jpg
Attached picture surb sign faded bell (3).jpg
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk