Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Novaman Cleaning Oil Can - Sat Jun 10 2017 04:18 AM
I have my eyes on a nice composite oil can. It has a thick grease in spots on the can. It hasn't discolored it. Was wondering if there are any ideas on how to remove the grease with out damage to the can? Thanks in advance.
Posted By: Oilcanman87 Re: Cleaning Oil Can - Fri Jun 16 2017 05:10 AM
If it's thick and not to crusty just use a plastic razor blade or scraper with a damp cloth to soften the grease. Then it should lift off with out any major damage. Paper cans are hard to clean entirely but if you do it gently it will be ok.
Posted By: Novaman Re: Cleaning Oil Can - Fri Jun 16 2017 01:20 PM
Thanks, I will have to give it a try once I pick up the can.
Posted By: Novaman Re: Cleaning Oil Can - Fri Jun 23 2017 03:00 AM
Here are the before and after results.

Attached picture PB160090.JPG
Attached picture PB160092.JPG
Posted By: tmcnasty Re: Cleaning Oil Can - Fri Jun 23 2017 03:44 AM
Nova I've had very good luck with Formula 409. It's not 100% safe though. On some inks, especially cardboard cans, it might lighten them. It's only lightened the paint on one metal can I used it on. Squirt a bit on a paper towel and dab a bit on each different area. Be sure to wipe it off quick and check the paint on the can and look for the color on the towel too. Then apply again and wait a bit longer. Sometimes the paint damage takes a few seconds. Don't let a quick test make you think you're safe and cause you to go full bore only to ruin the can.
Also another pretty safe thicker grease remover is the orange based hand cleaner Harbor Freight sells called Goop. I tried it on a whim years back on a Fox Head 2 gallon oil can so covered in grease you couldn't see the red letters or the fox! That can looked almost new when completed. Same testing rules apply though.
I'd say 1 outta 15 maybe 20 cans I clean have paint loss of any type. When I'm done I usually 'deactivate' the cleaner residue with a moist paper towel wipe down.
Good luck!
Posted By: Novaman Re: Cleaning Oil Can - Fri Jun 23 2017 04:03 AM
Thanks, good tips. I did try Goop and it worked very well on the back of the can, but had a bit of paint lifting on the front.
Posted By: kingshawn Re: Cleaning Oil Can - Fri Jun 23 2017 12:49 PM
best thing to clean composite cans-
http://www.carbrite.com/products/Exterior-Care/Painted-Surface-Care/Glazes-Polishes/Crystal-Shine/
Posted By: Novaman Re: Cleaning Oil Can - Fri Jun 30 2017 02:20 AM
Thanks for the tip.
Posted By: Coops 427 Re: Cleaning Oil Can - Fri Jun 30 2017 04:34 AM
I always use WD-40 to clean both metal and composite oil cans. It works great.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk