Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: model72 Wayne 60 Light Switch - Mon Aug 28 2017 06:35 PM
The light switch is missing on the Wayne 60 I recently purchased. All that is remaining is a 2" long brass rod with a cotter pin. Can someone post a photo of what the original light switch looked like? If I can't rig up a switch that uses the brass rod, I will just wire it so that I can plug it directly into a wall socket or timer and forget about a switch.
Joe
Posted By: bcouchene Re: Wayne 60 Light Switch - Mon Oct 02 2017 01:42 PM
Is this what your manifold looks like? Some of the 60 and 70 parts are the same, this one is from a Wayne 70.
Brian

Attached picture electrical manifold covers.jpg
Posted By: bcouchene Re: Wayne 60 Light Switch - Wed Oct 04 2017 04:24 AM
The switch that goes inside the Wayne 70 manifold that I pictured above, is pictured below. You'll have to look at your pump manifold to see if it looks similar. Some parts are the same between the60 and 70, depending on version. This switch is a push on, push off. You only push the brass rod, not pull it.
Brian

Attached picture Switch.jpg
Posted By: BrianH Re: Wayne 60 Light Switch - Wed Oct 04 2017 01:24 PM
Brian,
I'd sure like to make a resin cast of that manifold cover you have there. I can't ever seem to get these loose without breaking them. Does anyone sell these?

BrianH
Posted By: model72 Re: Wayne 60 Light Switch - Thu Oct 05 2017 02:39 AM
In the future, heat up with a MAP gas torch, quench with cool water. It should break free.
Posted By: model72 Re: Wayne 60 Light Switch - Thu Oct 05 2017 02:43 AM
Brian, I believe my manifold looks the same inside. I will post a couple of photos on Thursday.
Posted By: bcouchene Re: Wayne 60 Light Switch - Thu Oct 05 2017 04:41 AM
As to the aluminum cover,Yes it can be difficult. I broke the first one I ever tried to remove, which is when I learned it was cast aluminum not steel. The last two covers that I removed, I used an adjustable wrench, and if it didn't rotate fairly easily, I didn't force it. I applied liberal PB blaster, let it soak for 30-60 minute, then applied heat with a propane torch, trying to heat the steel casting instead of the aluminum. Sometimes tapping lightly on the steel casting with a brass hammer helps while applying torque to the cover. If it doesn't come off, apply more PB blaster and lit it sit for another hour and repeat. after 3 or 4 heat and penetrating oil cycles, they usually loosen up.
I wouldn't recommend mapp gas or acetylene, as even with just a propane torch, you have to be careful not to melt the aluminum.
I don't believe anyone makes reproductions yet. I bought a replacement for one I broke by buying an entire original housing with the cover stuck on, and it was up to me to remove it without destroying it.
Brian
Posted By: model72 Re: Wayne 60 Light Switch - Thu Oct 05 2017 12:25 PM
Brian, your manifold and mine look the same. The two off-site holes where the switch attaches to the manifold look to have the same configuration.

The push brass rod is located behind the white wire. Send me a PM to discuss further.
Joe
Posted By: model72 Re: Wayne 60 Light Switch - Thu Oct 05 2017 12:27 PM
Just to clarify my earlier post, I agree, with Brian about applying heat, do not apply torch to the aluminum cover; apply heat to the cast iron manifold.
Joe
Posted By: bcouchene Re: Wayne 60 Light Switch - Thu Oct 05 2017 04:45 PM
This is what my spare manifold looks like when the switch is installed.

Attached picture manifold1.jpg
Attached picture manifold3.jpg
Posted By: bcouchene Re: Wayne 60 Light Switch - Thu Oct 05 2017 04:48 PM
If you aren't careful and apply too much torque with the adjustable wrench, you'll twist the square "nut" off the cover. Then you'll have to use a chisel to pound the cover in a circular motion to remove it, destroying it.

Attached picture Cover1.jpg
Attached picture cover2.jpg
Posted By: cggas Re: Wayne 60 Light Switch - Fri Oct 06 2017 01:22 AM
Ha ha, that cover loks like the very first one I ever removed also. As previously posted heat the cast & they come right off. I haven't broke another & have removed a lot. Chris
Posted By: BrianH Re: Wayne 60 Light Switch - Fri Oct 06 2017 10:14 AM
Yeah that looks familiar! I'll see if I can get the other one off but I was already using the process you guys recommended. Heat the housing, not the cover, quench and repeat as necessary.

Has anyone found a switch similar to the rotary one in the pics above that will work on the 60? I haven't.

BrianH
Posted By: bcouchene Re: Wayne 60 Light Switch - Fri Oct 06 2017 06:21 PM
Spray it with lots of PB blaster and let it soak overnight. Let the PB blaster work while you sleep. Some of the "cycles" I heat it up and then spray it with PB blaster and let it soak. My theory is that the heat expands the manifold creating more room for the penetrating oil to penetrate. Sometimes it takes quite a few cycles to loosen it up.
Brian
Posted By: BrianH Re: Wayne 60 Light Switch - Sat Oct 07 2017 11:54 AM
Brian,
Heated the heck out of the housing yesterday, quenched it, and voila, the cover came right off. Now to see if I can cast copies.

BrianH
Posted By: model72 Re: Wayne 60 Light Switch - Thu Oct 12 2017 01:21 PM
Thanks to Brian C. I have an original working light switch installed in my Wayne 60.
Joe M
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk