Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Mikegoe Is this sign cleanable? - Thu Sep 07 2017 12:05 PM
Hi guys I am considering making an offer on the sign but wondered if this white oxidation is removable. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Attached picture IMG_1755.JPG
Posted By: advertologist Re: Is this sign cleanable? - Thu Sep 07 2017 12:10 PM
Originally Posted By Mikegoe
if this white oxidation is removable.

a temporary fix is rub a little baby oil into the porcelain .. ... cool
Posted By: Mikegoe Re: Is this sign cleanable? - Thu Sep 07 2017 12:13 PM
And you would have to do that periodically?
Posted By: advertologist Re: Is this sign cleanable? - Thu Sep 07 2017 12:44 PM
Originally Posted By Mikegoe
And you would have to do that periodically?

that is the porcelain drying out possibly from too much exposure too the elements-
I have a couple signs that require this treatment occasionally .. ... cool
Posted By: LarryIvy Re: Is this sign cleanable? - Thu Sep 07 2017 12:51 PM
I had a NOS sign years ago exactly like that. I thought it was a water stain from being sandwiched wet for a long period. Never found anything to permanently fix the porcelain finish/shine. Randy is an expert so if he says wipe it occasionally, you need to plan on wiping it occasionally.
Nice sign though.
Posted By: Mikegoe Re: Is this sign cleanable? - Thu Sep 07 2017 02:50 PM
Thanks guys! I'm looking for a 6' Phillips, hoping to find one in better condition but if the price is right I may take a shot at it. Anybody know of any for sale in better shape?
Posted By: bigandtall Re: Is this sign cleanable? - Thu Sep 07 2017 05:02 PM
The one your looking at is for sale from a seller that had 15 or more various 48" and 72" Phillips 66 DSP signs for sale recovered from a property he bought. I watched all but the last, roughest few sell on eBay, this being one of those. The white oxidation doesn't remove, and, usually looks much worse in person.
Posted By: Speedracer Re: Is this sign cleanable? - Fri Sep 08 2017 01:58 AM
You can also use Howards Feed and Wax. However, I've never tried baby oil and Randy is much smarter than me. smile
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk