Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Boiler_81 Transporting visible pump - Thu Sep 07 2017 04:05 PM
I need to transport an unrestored visible pump. It needs to be transported 600 miles. I will not have an opportunity to remove the original glass. I am concerned with the possibility of the glass breaking. Any suggestions from seasoned movers to prevent breakage?
Posted By: gaspumpgary Re: Transporting visible pump - Thu Sep 07 2017 04:46 PM
I have layed them down on a wide tire, tire sitting just below the cylinder, make sure you secure the bottom end of the pump to your vehicle. worked for me when your options are limited.
Posted By: Hardy's Garage Re: Transporting visible pump - Thu Sep 07 2017 06:08 PM
Have done the same as Gary many times,
securing the bottom and just below the cylinder. No problems so far.
Posted By: Boiler_81 Re: Transporting visible pump - Thu Sep 07 2017 07:26 PM
Thanks guys
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: Transporting visible pump - Thu Sep 07 2017 09:12 PM
Scott, you might want to get use to using the "Oldgas Search powered by Goggle" in the box towards the bottom of each page...

This search gives you results for topics that have been discussed here on Oldgas, in the past...

By using the search engine; you most likely will get quite a few of your questions answered...

The answer the guys gave you; is one I have used in the past. But, if you use the search; you might find other answers? Some that either worked or didn't work for the Members.
Posted By: Loyd Pierce Re: Transporting visible pump - Thu Sep 07 2017 11:44 PM
You will be more likely to break the glass removing it then hauling it intact using the tire method. Put the top in first that way you just slip it out and stand it up once you get back home.I have cradled the base in a tire also which adds a little cushion from potholes etc.
Posted By: Speedracer Re: Transporting visible pump - Fri Sep 08 2017 02:03 AM
I wrap the glass in a blanket or two and wrap some tape around the blanket and then I throw a tire under the base and just under the cylinder (as mentioned above).

If you've never removed glass you better search this web-site on that matter as well. You don't just unscrew the rods and take it off. This is usually a very meticulous procedure. I would highly recommend you read up on that before attempting, to prevent cracking it.

-Steve
Posted By: It's for sale Re: Transporting visible pump - Fri Sep 08 2017 12:37 PM
Hay bales in place of tires works also
Posted By: Boiler_81 Re: Transporting visible pump - Fri Sep 08 2017 04:27 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I have now done a search and found pretty much the same ideas. I have also looked at the methods to remove the cylinder. That process looks like something to be approached very carefully.
Posted By: Alex Re: Transporting visible pump - Sat Sep 09 2017 01:13 AM
I used the tire method and wrapped the cylinder in a blanket as well. Protects it from rocks no other flying debris. I then used to ratchet strips below the cylinder and above the base to secure it to the tie downs in the bed of the truck. I had to leave the tailgate down as the box was only 6 1/2 feet. Even though it was tied down, I still kept glancing in the rear view mirror about every minute to make sure it wasn't sliding. LOL. Longest 450 miles of my life.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk