Restoring an old gas station

Posted by: GHH

Restoring an old gas station - Mon Sep 18 2017 12:50 PM

A friend of mine recently purchased this old gas station and wants to restore it. He has asked me to help so I thought I'd start by reaching out to the members of this forum and ask of any images you have of Sinclair stations from the 1920's-1930's. I have been told it was originally built as a Sinclair station and I believe this building was originally a white with dark green trim. Judging from the imprints in the concrete it had a round round visible in the center of the island under the porch roof. The sides of the island appear to have been modernized and I can see the square foot prints of newer pumps.
The sides still have insets for the round Sinclair signs, one still has its original light fixture.
I'd love to see other images for ideas on how to correctly restore this neat station.

Posted by: Coops 427

Re: Restoring an old gas station - Mon Sep 18 2017 05:55 PM

Cool station. Try going on Google images or Pinterest for 1920's/1930's Sinclair stations. Keep us posted with progress pics.
Posted by: eshaver

Re: Restoring an old gas station - Mon Sep 18 2017 07:48 PM

OK, Sinclair unlike Esso Gulf and Chevron weren't too picky as to color schemes or details . I can scan in photos of old Sinclair stations and then too, a few were included in the book, Check the Oil by Scott Anderson that I was a major contributor to. I have many shots of Sinclair's from over the years and not having a specific set of guidelines , I really don't know what to scan into an E-mail to you . You can always E-mail me a artformsdesign@Yahoo.com

Re: Restoring an old gas station - Mon Sep 18 2017 09:51 PM

I have sent you an email regarding your pictures of the Sinclair station
Posted by: gulfiend!

Re: Restoring an old gas station - Tue Sep 19 2017 07:10 AM

...you might check some old city directories at the library, to make sure it was in fact Sinclair...be a shame to spend all of that time and money, only to learn that the station was something else when built...should be easy enough in a large city like Charlotte to find a library with city directories...
Posted by: tred

Re: Restoring an old gas station - Tue Sep 19 2017 06:41 PM

more!!! more!!!

i need my fix, please give us some updates...
Posted by: Jack Sim

Re: Restoring an old gas station - Tue Sep 19 2017 10:33 PM

Recently a friend of mine asked me is I had any pictures of stations that were made by a certain company. So, I started scanning any picture that showed a station, I now have over 2200 pictures of stations. They cover the first off the street station that was here in St. Louis in 1908 to stations from 1970. I don't have the time to look for your station but if someone would be able to post the year this station was erected I might be able to ID it.

Jack Sim

Re: Restoring an old gas station - Wed Sep 20 2017 05:00 PM

I'll try to find the year out and post it