Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: marcbr4 How to remove the top layer of paint - Sat Sep 23 2017 12:44 AM
I need advice on how to remove the top layer of paint from a pump. Thank you.
Posted By: Done4 Re: How to remove the top layer of paint - Sat Sep 23 2017 02:19 AM
Not sure there is a fail safe way but I'm sure someone will offer suggestions. I have yet to find a solution. I've been told easy off works, going to try it on a painted sign that has been painted over. Good luck.
Posted By: tbuckles Re: How to remove the top layer of paint - Mon Sep 25 2017 11:11 AM
There is a product called Peeler by Kleanstrip that is designed to remove delamenating base coat clear coat but it won't remove the factory applied primer. You spray it on then let the top coat bubble then blow it off with an air hose.

I have always wanted to try it but never got around to it. Sounds like it might do one coat at a time. Disclaimer: If you try it and it eats down to bare metal....oops!

Tom.
Posted By: Vernski Re: How to remove the top layer of paint - Mon Sep 25 2017 06:38 PM
I have used EasyOff oven cleaner to strip paint from a 30's automobile trunk, it worked very well; right down to the base metal, which is what I wanted. spray it on, let it sit for a few hours and hose it off.

I had read that one could use CLR to clean off a 1928 license plate. I made up a small tray of tinfoil, poured it on the plate and let it set for a couple of hours and it took the paint right down to the base metal as well. That was NOT what I wanted.

I might be tempted to try EasyOff, but watch it closely and not let it sit too long.
Posted By: gatorgaspumps Re: How to remove the top layer of paint - Mon Sep 25 2017 06:53 PM
Had a friend use Easy Off on some pot medal parts. I worked but a few years later the pot medal started to detreat. I think there was a chemical reaction with the Easy Off. Richard
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk