Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: DavidA Help Identify Visible Pump - Sat Sep 30 2017 05:39 PM
I recently came across this upper portion of a visible pump but cannot seem to find any matching ones whilst searching images in Google. I am posting it here with the hope that someone can I.D. it for me. It is a 5 gallon one that is about 10-11 inches in diameter.

Thanks

Posted By: DavidA Re: Help Identify Visible Pump - Sat Sep 30 2017 06:03 PM
Actual glass dimension is 10" x 18"
Posted By: A P Ogle Re: Help Identify Visible Pump - Sat Sep 30 2017 06:34 PM
I don't know what model it is but the gallon markers are sweet. They might provide some clues as to who made it.
Posted By: hornsrus Re: Help Identify Visible Pump - Sat Sep 30 2017 06:39 PM
browser c-2 visible attachment.can i see the bottom of the jar base . thanks charley
Posted By: tractor12 Re: Help Identify Visible Pump - Sat Sep 30 2017 06:43 PM
I was the previous owner of this pump/attachment. It came with my Gilbert and Barker 176
Posted By: Jack Sim Re: Help Identify Visible Pump - Sat Sep 30 2017 07:26 PM
Comparing it with the picture of the C-2 that is in my 2nd book I agree with Charley. These visible attachments were sold by a number of companies. In the early 20s visible pumps were sold using advertisements that "now your customers can see that they are getting what they paid for." So, if you couldn't afford a new visible pump you could purchase one of these and attach it to the existing curb pump you owned. A number of them are shown in my book. Here is one showing a C-3 attached to a Bowser 101.

Jack Sim
Posted By: Craig Osbeck Re: Help Identify Visible Pump - Sat Sep 30 2017 07:35 PM
Bet his PM box is full.
Posted By: DavidA Re: Help Identify Visible Pump - Sun Oct 01 2017 01:52 AM
I am new to this site so bear with me. Where do I find PM's and how do you read them? As far as I know, there shouldn't be any PM's there as this was my first post. Actually posted this morning.
Posted By: DavidA Re: Help Identify Visible Pump - Sun Oct 01 2017 02:08 AM
Originally Posted By hornsrus
Here is one showing a C-3 attached to a Bowser 101. thanks charley

Where is the one you say is here? Do you have a photo of it? Did you post that photo?

I will post a photo of the bottom later. The bottom is about 11" in diameter with a 10" diameter plate with a bunch of bolts holding that plate to the jar bottom casting. That piece actually looks to have been added by someone and not really original to the base.

So am I understanding that this upper jar would have been a replacement and not an original pump top to some brand named unit? If so that leaves me to think that it could have fit any pump as needed?
Posted By: Oldgas Re: Help Identify Visible Pump - Sun Oct 01 2017 02:18 AM
Originally Posted By DavidA
I am new to this site so bear with me. Where do I find PM's and how do you read them? As far as I know, there shouldn't be any PM's there as this was my first post. Actually posted this morning.

Welcome to Oldgas.com
When you are logged in, click on "My Stuff" at the top of forum pages. Choose "Messages" from the drop down menu. That puts you into PM messages. To send a member a PM, click on his user name on a post. Choose "Send a PM" from the drop down menu.

If you need help with that, click on "Contact" near the top of the page.
Posted By: Jack Sim Re: Help Identify Visible Pump - Sun Oct 01 2017 04:11 AM
Sorry about that.

Go to this page of my website and click on any Bowser item you want to: http://petrolianacollectibles.com/bowser%20pumps.htm

Jack Sim
Posted By: DavidA Re: Help Identify Visible Pump - Sun Oct 01 2017 12:41 PM
Thanks for both the responses.

I went through the photos on the page link provided by Mr. Sim and I see that there is one version of what could be a similar upper. I am still not sure that it is the same but when I get a photo of the bottom for posting, maybe that will help clear up some of the mystery.

Again, thanks!
Posted By: DavidA Re: Help Identify Visible Pump - Wed Oct 18 2017 12:16 AM
Charley,

Here is a photo of the bottom portion of the pump.

Posted By: hornsrus Re: Help Identify Visible Pump - Wed Oct 18 2017 12:21 AM
no pic try agian. charley
Posted By: DavidA Re: Help Identify Visible Pump - Wed Oct 18 2017 12:22 AM
I see it...
Posted By: hornsrus Re: Help Identify Visible Pump - Wed Oct 18 2017 12:24 AM
ok got it now. this will take some study.thanks. charley
Posted By: DavidA Re: Help Identify Visible Pump - Wed Nov 08 2017 04:04 AM
I gave up on making it original to anything and took the liberty of putting it together as a field repaired pump. A one off so to speak. It will look fairly original once all the goodies are on it but never original and really, not a pump. I had no base so I improvised a bit. Buckeye nozzle is coming and then to find a hose and a pump lever and add a hose connection and possibly a advertising globe.

It has been fun so far.

Posted By: Jack Sim Re: Help Identify Visible Pump - Wed Nov 08 2017 06:01 AM
Why is it that some of those who are requesting information/identification post a picture that looks like "where's Waldo." Please guys, click on the "preview reply" and see if your picture is up and down instead of laying on the ground, it only takes a click to correct it. Also, learn how to crop a picture so that what you are showing us is the item instead of what your back yard looks like. Those of us who can identify and respond need to see the details.

Sometimes the item that many are requesting info on is laying down. I now have to copy it, transfer it to a program that will allow me to turn the picture up and down, then go back to examine the item. I know that some of you will not agree with me about this, but if you can afford to purchase a $2000 gas pump, how about purchasing a $500 Nicon to take pictures, a phone is a phone, not a camera.

Let me ask you one more thing, if they can fit a camera in a phone, why can't they fit a phone in my nook?

Jack Sim
Posted By: cggas Re: Help Identify Visible Pump - Wed Nov 08 2017 09:36 AM
Looks pretty good for what you have. With today’s newer phones there is no need for a camera, they take excellent pictures. Chris
Posted By: DavidA Re: Help Identify Visible Pump - Thu Nov 09 2017 06:11 AM
Quote:
Why is it that some of those who are requesting information/identification post a picture that looks like "where's Waldo." Please guys, click on the "preview reply" and see if your picture is up and down instead of laying on the ground, it only takes a click to correct it. Also, learn how to crop a picture so that what you are showing us is the item instead of what your back yard looks like. Those of us who can identify and respond need to see the details.

Look Jack...What is it that you're trying to say? Looks perfect on my end. I think maybe you should relax and not be so abrasive with your replies. Maybe your settings are wrong because this photo is running on an independent webpage and looks perfect. Granted maybe I should try to crop a little but why be a _ _ _ _ about it? If that is how you respond, you don't really need to see any details...sheesh! Keep your help because it doesn't seem to help at all!
Posted By: DavidA Re: Help Identify Visible Pump - Fri Nov 10 2017 06:26 AM
Okay, I found out what the top section probably was after a bunch of (in)visible searches on the web. Then this photo popped...

Wish I had seen this before I started putting it together but my intention was for yard art and not a restoration. I think it will look fine for that purpose. If someone needs those panels for their actual restoration, let me know and I will try to source something else to replace them. They are Milwaukee Pump Co. sides.

© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk