Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: crxnug Need paint ideas for frame and pump and motors - Sat Nov 25 2017 02:06 AM
Im undecided on interior paint or powdercoating colors on the frame and related parts , motor and pump, i have a bennett 766, hoping member can post some pictures to give me idea on which route to go with, any help would be much appreciated
Posted By: Speedracer Re: Need paint ideas for frame and pump and motors - Sat Nov 25 2017 05:36 AM
Here's a Gilbarco 904 I did... (some have seen these pics in other threads).... I powder coated the frame and just used a rattle can on the motor, pump, etc. I used primer gray and (I think) semi-gloss or gloss black, I can't remember. I buffed all the the parts that I could on my wheel.

-Steve

Attached picture IMG_4100[1].JPG
Attached picture IMG_4103[1].JPG
Attached picture IMG_5311[1].JPG
Thanks for sharing. Great detail.
Now that looks great. Would hate to do it with a heavy pump though.
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: Need paint ideas for frame and pump and motors - Sat Nov 25 2017 08:30 PM
We just painted one of those pumps. We didnt keep the motor to reduce the weight. As far as frame, we sandblasted it, hit it with epoxy (etching primer), and lastly coated it in silver rustoleum (sprayed on, not rattle can). Sometimes I use flat black urethane.

Anyway, pretty simple, but works. I have an MS80 that we did same way that is just a painted frame still. I'll add a pic to this post later when I get a chance.

Steve, that pump is awesome!
Posted By: Speedracer Re: Need paint ideas for frame and pump and motors - Sun Nov 26 2017 08:52 PM
Thanks for all the nice comments on my 904 everyone.

One other thing I want to mention to Danny is that if you do something similar to mine, don't just paint the motor and pump and other parts, because they still have gas in them. I took them all apart, soaked them, sandblasted, and then primed and painted.

Some of the old filters and internal parts in the pump and and other components were discarded.

-Steve
Posted By: crxnug Re: Need paint ideas for frame and pump and motors - Tue Nov 28 2017 10:57 PM
great looking pump steve, this will be the 2nd pump im restoring, first one was a Gilbarco 906 that i went overboard on the restoration , this one i want to get ideas for the internals so im hoping to get some more pics of forum members restorations . not sure what theme to go with with the globe and advertizing, maybe sinclair dino. my last one was mobilgas
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: Need paint ideas for frame and pump and motors - Tue Nov 28 2017 11:21 PM
Originally Posted By crxnug
Im undecided on interior paint or powdercoating colors on the frame and related parts , motor and pump, i have a bennett 766, hoping member can post some pictures to give me idea on which route to go with, any help would be much appreciated

...most unrestored 'guts' I've seen bore traces of silver or aluminum paint...
Posted By: spencer Re: Need paint ideas for frame and pump and motors - Wed Nov 29 2017 02:21 AM
My friend and I sand blast frame and use silver Hammerite. Spencer
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: Need paint ideas for frame and pump and motors - Wed Nov 29 2017 12:56 PM
As found if it's any help.

Attached picture sunoco25.jpg
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk