Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: beneckart Shipping cans - Fri Dec 08 2017 01:04 PM
What is the best/safest way to ship 1 quart oil cans? Either full or empty.Thanks Ben
Posted By: Steven C. Re: Shipping cans - Fri Dec 08 2017 01:43 PM
If buyer wants full cans, well then there is the answer to that. Of course cost more due to weight. I always ask seller to empty and save me the mess and the cost. If they're willing.
As for damage prevention, full is much bigger risk but if packed properly should make no difference.
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: Shipping cans - Fri Dec 08 2017 02:04 PM
Best shipping idea is to use the cardboard center from a carpet roll. They are readily available from any retail dealer of carpet sales and are generally just a little bigger than an oil can. They come in long lengths and can be cut to any length you wish. If a can is placed in this cardboard tube and isolated with a lot of bubblewrap and styro peanuts, you will never have to worry about it in transit!
Posted By: huskybob Re: Shipping cans - Fri Dec 08 2017 02:14 PM
Originally Posted By K W FRITH
Best shipping idea is to use the cardboard center from a carpet roll. They are readily available from any retail dealer of carpet sales and are generally just a little bigger than an oil can. They come in long lengths and can be cut to any length you wish.

Very good to know....... thanks for the info.
Posted By: intagas Re: Shipping cans - Fri Dec 08 2017 03:09 PM
Not all tubes are the right diameter thou.
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: Shipping cans - Fri Dec 08 2017 03:28 PM
And for the Love of God,never ever write FRAGILE on anything.
Some POS with the delivery service will always take exception to that and feel obligated to test it. frown
Posted By: Gasman84470 Re: Shipping cans - Fri Dec 08 2017 06:24 PM
Hah! Rick is right. DB sent me a can, nicely boxed and a FRAGILE sticker affixed to it. There was a nice sized perforation right through the sticker. The can survived. No fragile stickers for me!
Posted By: beneckart Re: Shipping cans - Sun Dec 10 2017 12:24 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments.
Posted By: beneckart Re: Shipping cans - Wed Dec 13 2017 07:49 PM
Went to Menards carpet section and got an empty cardboard tube that is perfect for shipping one quart cans in.
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: Shipping cans - Wed Dec 13 2017 10:53 PM
PERFECT!
Posted By: coopersplace Re: Shipping cans - Thu Dec 14 2017 02:02 PM
I don't know about USPS but here in Canada there is an extra charge for mailing a non-standard shaped parcel. The last time I mailed a quart in a tube it was an extra $1 but may be more now. Anything to make a buck I guess.
Posted By: BryceG Re: Shipping cans - Thu Dec 14 2017 02:39 PM
they aren't saying to mail it in a tube. just use the carpet tube to protect the can and then put into a standard square box
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk