Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: vwbusjukie Taking Down a Pole - Mon Jan 29 2018 05:20 PM
I have came across a couple of banjo style poles that are still standing and are in the middle of nowhere. I have had a few pole and know they are really heavy. Besides a crane truck or just letting it fall to the ground, does any one have any ideas or methods to take one down safely
Posted By: Loyd Pierce Re: Taking Down a Pole - Mon Jan 29 2018 06:03 PM
Back hoe with a strap as high as you can get it. Tractor will also work but won't reach as high.
Posted By: Mike M. Re: Taking Down a Pole - Mon Jan 29 2018 06:52 PM
We used a tractor with 6x6 beam strapped to the bucket and lifted the sign off first and then the pole.
Posted By: vwbusjukie Re: Taking Down a Pole - Tue Jan 30 2018 12:38 PM
Had someone else said they take the nuts off one side “2 studs” then push it the other way. You may have to loosen the two nuts on the other side to give it some room to lean. But the two studs will hold it all the way down. It will either come down nice and easy or you may actually have to pull it a little with a truck. Anyone else tried this
Posted By: JimT Re: Taking Down a Pole - Tue Jan 30 2018 01:36 PM
Originally Posted by vwbusjukie
Had someone else said they take the nuts off one side “2 studs” then push it the other way. You may have to loosen the two nuts on the other side to give it some room to lean. But the two studs will hold it all the way down. It will either come down nice and easy or you may actually have to pull it a little with a truck. Anyone else tried this

lol= Maybe if you had a 2 ropes or cables tied above the center of gravity and backed one towards the pole while you pulled the other one away....
Posted By: Dale Stephens Re: Taking Down a Pole - Tue Jan 30 2018 03:14 PM
That method worked for me. Pushed it right over on my trailer. You probably would need a torch to cut the other two studs off....Dale
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk