Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: ko-lek-tor G&B 176 Tall Ten Cylinder Height? - Wed Feb 21 2018 05:56 PM
How tall a glass cylinder is needed for my G&B 176 “ Tall Ten” pump? Diameter 10.25 OD
There is a volume calculator online. I came up with between 32 & 34 inches, but would like to know for sure. Thank you.
Posted By: steven g Re: G&B 176 Tall Ten Cylinder Height? - Wed Feb 21 2018 07:40 PM
go to the search box type in visible cylinder size
Posted By: Jack Sim Re: G&B 176 Tall Ten Cylinder Height? - Thu Feb 22 2018 08:41 PM
According to Tim Rohr's findings:

Gilbert & Barker 10 T-176F 11 x 19
Gilbert & Barker 10 T-176 (Semi-Rotary), T177 12 1/2 x 24
Gilbert & Barker 10 T-176 (Dual Piston), T-179 12 1/2 x 26

Jack Sim
Posted By: JimT Re: G&B 176 Tall Ten Cylinder Height? - Fri Feb 23 2018 01:05 PM
Jack, I looked at Tims chart the other day in regards to this thread. It was a bit of a mystery to me so I decided not to refer him to it. . There is obviously an error somewhere that has to do with the 11x19 cylinder. That height measurement must be either for a five gallon jug or would be taller for a tall ten? Or its just mismarked on Tims chart as a ten gallon cylinder(and should be for a five). I really havent seen a 176 tall, but I suppose its possible they were out there. Also, James (the orig. poster) seems to be coming up with a smaller diameter that would fit his casting. I think he came to the conclusion that his was around 10 1/2".....
Posted By: Ron Scobie Re: G&B 176 Tall Ten Cylinder Height? - Fri Feb 23 2018 06:57 PM
10" x 37".
Ron
Posted By: ko-lek-tor Re: G&B 176 Tall Ten Cylinder Height? - Sun Feb 25 2018 04:53 PM
Originally Posted by Ron Scobie
10" x 37".
Ron

Ouch! That is going to be expensive! Thank you Mr Scobie
Posted By: ko-lek-tor Re: G&B 176 Tall Ten Cylinder Height? - Sun Feb 25 2018 05:02 PM
Originally Posted by JimT
Jack, I looked at Tims chart the other day in regards to this thread. It was a bit of a mystery to me so I decided not to refer him to it. . There is obviously an error somewhere that has to do with the 11x19 cylinder. That height measurement must be either for a five gallon jug or would be taller for a tall ten? Or its just mismarked on Tims chart as a ten gallon cylinder(and should be for a five). I really havent seen a 176 tall, but I suppose its possible they were out there. Also, James (the orig. poster) seems to be coming up with a smaller diameter that would fit his casting. I think he came to the conclusion that his was around 10 1/2".....

And thank you too, JimT. This is why I asked, as I did use the search function and could not find that information. This must be an obscure pump with little information. If I could find a close cylinder ( within a few inches of the correct height), that has damage that would not cost a lot, and damaged skins, I would like to make this some kind of “ lawn art” for now.
Posted By: Goober's Station Re: G&B 176 Tall Ten Cylinder Height? - Tue Feb 27 2018 03:46 AM
Yes Jack they did make a G&B with this size cylinder, they were special pumps made specifically for Ohio. I have found 2 of them in the last 30 years. Scott Anderson wrote a huge story about how the weights and measure laws in Ohio were changed. People felt they were getting cheated on their gasoline amounts when the sun came up and would shine on the cylinder. They thought this could cause the gasoline to rise like a thermometer so they changed the requirements and made the cylinders longer. See all you folks at Michigan Gas, Jerry says its on Sunday May 20th this year, one week AFTER Mother's Day this time, lol.

smile Goober
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk