Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Kezar Kid Early Amoco Filling Station pictures - Thu Mar 29 2018 12:37 AM
My Grandfather worked for Amoco for a while helping set up new stations or modifying existing stations. These are pictures he had.
The first set come from Washington D.C.
I don't know much at all about petroliana, but I thought members here would enjoy the pictures.
I'm guessing these are from the early 1920s, does that sound about right?

Attached picture img271.jpg
Attached picture img272.jpg
Attached picture img273.jpg
Attached picture img274.jpg
Posted By: advertologist Re: Early Amoco Filling Station pictures - Thu Mar 29 2018 12:46 AM
Originally Posted by Kezar Kid
I'm guessing these are from the early 1920s, does that sound about right?

you are right on ! ! ! .. ... cool
Posted By: Kezar Kid Re: Early Amoco Filling Station pictures - Thu Mar 29 2018 12:56 AM
Thanks advertologist. Here's a few more.

Attached picture img275.jpg
Attached picture img276.jpg
Attached picture img277.jpg
Attached picture img278.jpg
Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: Early Amoco Filling Station pictures - Thu Mar 29 2018 01:50 AM
Thanks for posting the pictures!
Posted By: Savinsam Re: Early Amoco Filling Station pictures - Thu Mar 29 2018 01:55 AM
Great photos! Thank you.
Posted By: advertologist Re: Early Amoco Filling Station pictures - Thu Mar 29 2018 02:08 AM
some elaborate stations in the 20's .. ... cool
Posted By: MATT ALVAREZ Re: Early Amoco Filling Station pictures - Thu Mar 29 2018 03:49 AM
Thank you for sharing your photos, I enjoyed looking at them.
Posted By: Speedracer Re: Early Amoco Filling Station pictures - Thu Mar 29 2018 05:56 AM
Those are great photos, thanks for sharing.

I especially like the 4th picture. I love how they incorporated a globe lens into their sign(s).

-Steve
Posted By: Kezar Kid Re: Early Amoco Filling Station pictures - Thu Mar 29 2018 11:52 AM
Here's a few more from Atlantic City NJ.

Attached picture img280.jpg
Attached picture img281.jpg
Attached picture img283.jpg
Attached picture img284.jpg
Posted By: Kezar Kid Re: Early Amoco Filling Station pictures - Thu Mar 29 2018 12:01 PM
One from Pleasantville NJ.

Attached picture img282.jpg
Attached picture img279.jpg
Posted By: RedHat Re: Early Amoco Filling Station pictures - Thu Mar 29 2018 12:10 PM
Awesome!
Posted By: JimT Re: Early Amoco Filling Station pictures - Thu Mar 29 2018 12:22 PM
Thank You!
Posted By: Kezar Kid Re: Early Amoco Filling Station pictures - Thu Mar 29 2018 12:31 PM
I said I don't know much about old gas stations, and I'm surprised how many pumps some of those stations have.
I would have guessed a station may have 2 or 3 pumps.
In the 3rd picture of the Key Bridge Garage, all 3 pumps you can see are different.
Are they pumping different grades of gas? The fist pump is thin, while the next two are much beefier.
I was born in Washington D.C. Key Bridge is just below Georgetown University and crosses the Potomac into Rosslyn Va.
Posted By: Oldgas Re: Early Amoco Filling Station pictures - Thu Mar 29 2018 12:47 PM
Thanks for posting the photos. We love to see the old gas stations with all the details of how they really were back then. A couple of those buildings were architecturally impressive.
Posted By: Jolly-John Re: Early Amoco Filling Station pictures - Thu Mar 29 2018 05:12 PM
Thanks for taking your time to share these nifty family photos with us, Jeff. Very nice of you. John
Posted By: eshaver Re: Early Amoco Filling Station pictures - Thu Mar 29 2018 11:33 PM
Kesar , the very 1st photo was used in a calendar I saw years back that was handed out via an Amoco jobber . That station was said to have been the 1st Lord Baltimore filling station Lewis Blaustien erected in Washington DC .
Posted By: Kezar Kid Re: Early Amoco Filling Station pictures - Thu Mar 29 2018 11:44 PM
Thanks for the information eshaver, very interesting.
And I appreciate all the other kind comments.
I wish the pictures were a little better quality.
It's still fun to zoom in on the details and really see what's there.
I'd still like to know the difference between the bigger, fatter pumps and the thin pumps.
Posted By: MATT ALVAREZ Re: Early Amoco Filling Station pictures - Fri Mar 30 2018 12:30 AM
The difference in the pumps you are questioning is the taller thin one is newer than the beefier ones. The thin one is what we call a "visible" Because the gas in pumped up in the glass cylinder were it can be seen before it is gravity fed into the car. These are 1920s pumps and still used into the 1950s in some rural areas. The beefy pumps are from the teens and early 20s. the gas was hand pump into the car with out being able to see it. The one in the middle has a "visible" attachment so the gas can be seen. These came out later and were available to convert an existing non-visible pump instead of buying a new one.
Posted By: CircaDesigns Re: Early Amoco Filling Station pictures - Fri Mar 30 2018 06:03 PM
Thanks for posting, really enjoyed seeing those pictures.
Posted By: Kezar Kid Re: Early Amoco Filling Station pictures - Fri Mar 30 2018 07:40 PM
I'm still going through old family pictures and here's another one.
It's in Absecon New Jersey, which along with Pleasantville, is very near Atlantic City.
It says on the back, Absecon Blvd. 1926 / 1927.
I enlarged some sections.
How common, (or uncommon), was the pole sign?
Are many still around?

Attached picture img285.jpg
Attached picture img285.jpg 1.jpg
Attached picture img285.jpg2.jpg
Posted By: Kezar Kid Re: Early Amoco Filling Station pictures - Fri Mar 30 2018 07:47 PM
Here's a resize of a picture I posted earlier, that speedracer mentioned, with another version of that sign.

Attached picture img274.jpg1.jpg
Posted By: bsplichal95 Re: Early Amoco Filling Station pictures - Mon Apr 02 2018 01:11 AM
Great pictures thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Nicole Re: Early Amoco Filling Station pictures - Tue Apr 03 2018 03:17 AM
Any addresses on the back of the Wash D.C. station photos? It would be cool to see what's there now. I am familiar with the key bridge.

I used to bike across Key Bridge as a teenager en route from Bethesda MD to Arlington, VA. Kids had a lot of freedom back in the mid 70's.
Posted By: Kezar Kid Re: Early Amoco Filling Station pictures - Tue Apr 03 2018 01:23 PM
No addresses on the back. I went on google maps and "drove" around Canal Rd. and M St. and there is an Exxon station in the vicinity.
I'm not sure if it's in the same spot as the Amoco station was.
I had to chuckle because Google maps has the Exorcist Steps listed about half a block from the Exxon.
Back in the day I remember when out of town visitors came to Washington, the steps were a place many wanted to see.
I was born in Washington, but I'm a Prince Georges County boy.
My Grandfather worked for Gulf also.
Here's a picture of my Mom with his work car.
Probably from the early 30s.

Attached picture Gulf.jpg
Posted By: Nicole Re: Early Amoco Filling Station pictures - Wed Apr 04 2018 02:01 AM
Oooh, I forgot about those steps. You can 'go' there via Google Earth, just type in Exorcist Steps.

Bob and I lived in apartment in Temple Hills when we were first married, but moved south where we could better afford to have a house. I worked in Upper Marlboro, and Bob in Clinton.

Lovely photo of your Mom...so OldGas Question: is the decal they would put on cars like this identical to decals on the pumps. I'm thinking yes...
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: Early Amoco Filling Station pictures - Fri Apr 06 2018 02:16 AM
...great photo...I have one like it, with a Gulf employee standing next to his automobile...however, Gulf did not use these decals on their pumps...
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk