Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: bennett_646 firestone - Mon Apr 09 2018 01:43 PM
I recently bought this sign at the Portland swap meet without even questioning its authenticity. I've had someone mention it may be a reproduction. What's your guys thoughts on it?

Attached File
firestone.png  (164 downloads)
Attached picture firestone 2.jpg
Posted By: bennett_646 Re: firestone - Mon Apr 09 2018 03:22 PM
I found these 2 pictures doing an oldgas search if this helps at all. The ones in holders are not my sign.

Attached picture firestone 3.jpg
Attached picture firestone 4.jpg
Posted By: coopersplace Re: firestone - Mon Apr 09 2018 04:11 PM
There is a 15" x 18" one on ebay right now for $41 from India that looks a lot like yours and not like the two examples provided.
Posted By: minuteman Re: firestone - Mon Apr 09 2018 04:26 PM
the guy that mentioned it maybe reproduction.....
is right
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: firestone - Mon Apr 09 2018 06:55 PM
I thought it looked wrong in the BOTW posting........
Posted By: bennett_646 Re: firestone - Mon Apr 09 2018 10:21 PM
Well thanks for the input guys. Guess I should have done more research before I bought. He had a lot of signs and they looked good to me and I know a guy that bought from him in the past. I'm trying to figure out how to contact the seller, he always has a craigslist ad in the Seattle area. I'm going to mark the back of the sign repro and if I cant get the seller to take it back, I'll hang it on the wall of mistakes.
Posted By: Speedracer Re: firestone - Tue Apr 10 2018 06:24 AM
I concur, that sign is no good. Try to get your money back.

-Steve
Posted By: cggas Re: firestone - Tue Apr 10 2018 09:39 AM
Glad I’m a pump guy.... I think the signs look pretty much the same, I don’t really see the difference. I’ll stick to pumps!! Chris
Posted By: we're the other guys Re: firestone - Tue Apr 10 2018 10:23 AM
It looks like a black strip across sign where FIRESTONE is written, is that the tell tale difference?
Posted By: dodgeman60 Re: firestone - Tue Apr 10 2018 10:50 AM
Is it double sided? Can you post a picture of the other side?
Posted By: bennett_646 Re: firestone - Tue Apr 10 2018 01:02 PM
its single sided. I'll get a pic of the back this evening
Posted By: TheHorse13 Re: firestone - Tue Apr 10 2018 03:30 PM
The real lollipop signs don't have mounting holes/grommets like the fake sign posted by the OP. The black stripe is another dead giveaway that it's bogus. Sloppy lettering on the fake...on and on. Everything about it is wrong.
Posted By: Speedracer Re: firestone - Tue Apr 10 2018 06:49 PM
Originally Posted by TheHorse13
The real lollipop signs don't have mounting holes/grommets like the fake sign posted by the OP. The black stripe is another dead giveaway that it's bogus. Sloppy lettering on the fake...on and on. Everything about it is wrong.

^^What he said^^

....on and on. I can see several other discrepancies, I just don’t like to post them all on here for India to see. If you want to know a few more, PM me Jake.

-Steve
Posted By: bennett_646 Re: firestone - Wed Apr 11 2018 04:19 AM
Back if sign of subject. Size is 15”x18”

Attached picture 968345C5-747A-4785-B880-7EE302F64588.jpeg
Posted By: Speedracer Re: firestone - Wed Apr 11 2018 05:41 AM
Like I mentioned in the PM, size is definitely wrong. That size is the India ones. Besides all the discrepancies, the black block on the front is the tell-tale.

I hope you are able to get your money back. We’ve all been there before. Wish you luck.

-Steve
Posted By: bennett_646 Re: firestone - Thu Apr 12 2018 07:07 PM
Well besides for fake signs being out there still, this story has a better ending for me. It took quite a bit of research but I was able to locate the seller on eBay based on a sign he had for sale at the show and listed on eBay. I reached out to him and he is refunding my money. The story I got and want to believe is he was selling some signs for a friend and didn't check them closely. He did have a repo husky sign at the show and had it clearly marked as such so I think he is honorable. Come to find out through this whole thing he has over 500 signs in his collection and lives about an hour from me so I may have made a friend haha.
Thank you to everyone that chimed in and to the original person who messaged me telling me I may have a fake on my hands. I really enjoy the OLDGAS community and what it is about. Not many places do you find people that have the other guys back that they may have never met before. Nobody had to tell me and I could have had that sign in my collection for years to come and thinking it was real the whole time. luckily everyone helped me out and I was able to recover my money on this one.

THANK YOU

Jake
Posted By: Done4 Re: firestone - Thu Apr 12 2018 08:05 PM
Good mews, sometimes it does work out.
Posted By: Speedracer Re: firestone - Fri Apr 13 2018 03:41 AM
Glad to hear the news Jake. Glad he was honorable and gave you your money back.

-Steve
Posted By: BrianH Re: firestone - Fri Apr 13 2018 04:38 PM
We need to remember situations like this to remind us of all the good guys out there (the oldgassers who chimed in and the guy refunding your money). A lot of times you only hear the negative stuff so this is good to hear.

BrianH
Posted By: JimT Re: firestone - Sat Apr 14 2018 11:23 PM
Glad it worked out for you ,Jake. Although it is sometimes a blow to our pride or ego, Im pretty sure we would all like to know if something we bought as original is not so...
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk