Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: RedHat Oil and Tire Company Associations - Sat Apr 21 2018 07:21 PM
So when I display different items of petroliana, I like to keep items from the same company (their associates and subsidiaries, included) displayed together in their respective area, be it in a case, on a shelf or its piece of a wall. This got me thinking on where certain tire brands (I say brands as, for example, I would consider Federal Tires associated with Tide Water, but not necessarily Fisk Tire Co despite Federal being a division of Fisk at some point...gets a bit confusing) should be displayed as some were associated with various oil companies at different times and others, presumably, were not. I was curious if there was a list somewhere on this site of something like this or, if not, if we could start one. I will list a few off the top of my head that I know of and if anyone else could throw some out there, something can be compiled as a reference for any members looking for the info....again, if not already somewhere on the site.

As a collector of Michelin, I’d be very curious if they were ever associated with any oil companies. I know overseas they had FINA, Mobiloil and others brand a select number of maps, but that’s a little different. Any way....

Tide Water Associated Oil Co - Federal Tires

Lion Oil Co - Kelly Tires

Standard Oil Co - Atlas Tires

Cities Service Oil Co - Acme Tires
Posted By: Done4 Re: Oil and Tire Company Associations - Sat Apr 21 2018 08:00 PM
Good idea, Phillips 66 - Lee. That's it for me right now but ya got me thinking. Thank you.
Posted By: advertologist Re: Oil and Tire Company Associations - Sat Apr 21 2018 08:52 PM
I know Signal was Lee .. ... cool
Posted By: wayno48 Re: Oil and Tire Company Associations - Sat Apr 21 2018 09:30 PM
According to Wikipedia Mobil sold Mobil Premiere tires in the 40's and 50's.
Posted By: RedHat Re: Oil and Tire Company Associations - Sun Apr 22 2018 03:35 PM
Looks like Lee was in bed with a few companies:

Signal Oil Co. - Lee Tires

Phillips Petroleum Co. - Lee Tires

Hickock Oil Corp. - Lee Tires

The Atlantic Refining Co. - Lee Tires

Looks like I can’t go back and edit the original post to add these in, is there any way Admins can unlock that feature so I can keep adding to the original list instead of doing so in new comments/replies? Or any tricks I don’t know of that will allow me to do so?

And wayno48, I know there were companies like Gulf, Socony Vacuum, Phillips Petroleum (pretty sure they had Phillips 66 Tires at some point) and even Tide Water (Flying A Tires) that branded their own tires under the same names they gave their oil/gas products i.e. Mobil Tires, Gulf Tires, etc. We can add those to the list depending on the general consensus, or just add the more loosely connected brands that don’t run under the same main name brands that their other products run on.
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: Oil and Tire Company Associations - Sun Apr 22 2018 06:56 PM
Pure Oil - Yale Tires
Posted By: wayno48 Re: Oil and Tire Company Associations - Sun Apr 22 2018 07:18 PM
I maybe wrong but I remember Union 76 sold Uni Royal ?
Posted By: Young's Union Re: Oil and Tire Company Associations - Sun Apr 22 2018 08:43 PM
Union 76 had MINUTEMAN tires. Minuteman 1 -- 2 -- 3 and 4s. Not sure who actually made them. I will go look on one I have.
Posted By: Speedracer Re: Oil and Tire Company Associations - Mon Apr 23 2018 12:41 AM
Originally Posted by RedHat
Looks like I can’t go back and edit the original post to add these in, is there any way Admins can unlock that feature so I can keep adding to the original list instead of doing so in new comments/replies? Or any tricks I don’t know of that will allow me to do so?

A ‘trick’ I do for the list of scammers on eBay, is I keep it in an excel spreadsheet document. Then every time I update it, I just ad to my excel spreadsheet and then cut and paste it on a new reply here on old gas. Which is nice because I can also sort it alphabetically.

-Steve
Posted By: keithia Re: Oil and Tire Company Associations - Mon Apr 23 2018 02:13 AM
Sinclair and Goodyear.
Posted By: GILMORE Re: Oil and Tire Company Associations - Mon Apr 23 2018 03:42 AM
Gilmore OIl - Norwalk Tires
Posted By: SandPCollector Re: Oil and Tire Company Associations - Mon Apr 23 2018 10:18 PM
I have to say that this type of thread is one of the things I enjoy most about this site. I like learning about all the different subjects outside my collecting area of focus. Having said that please understand I do not know if Riverside Tire was formally associated with Champlin or not, but I recently sold this set of Champlin Shakers and Riverside Tires was advertised on the back. I'll have to look through my collection to see if any others advertise a brand of tires or not, but I don't recall any others off the top of my head. For your enjoyment!

Attached picture Champlin A.jpg
Attached picture Champlin B.jpg
Posted By: 796Chevelle Re: Oil and Tire Company Associations - Tue Apr 24 2018 12:31 AM
Was there a specific tire brand that texaco carried?
Posted By: Done4 Re: Oil and Tire Company Associations - Tue Apr 24 2018 02:24 AM
If I recall Riverside was a Sears brand, I think. I do have a Riverside sign and I'll check tomorrow.
Posted By: wayno48 Re: Oil and Tire Company Associations - Tue Apr 24 2018 02:34 AM
Riverside was Wards tires
Posted By: wayno48 Re: Oil and Tire Company Associations - Tue Apr 24 2018 03:13 AM
Sears sold Allstate
Posted By: Ohio Oil Re: Oil and Tire Company Associations - Tue Apr 24 2018 05:48 PM
Marathon sold Cooper tires ... both with world headquarters in Findlay Ohio.
Posted By: Terry Flannery Re: Oil and Tire Company Associations - Wed Apr 25 2018 02:51 AM
Cities Service sold tires and batteries 50's and 60's. I have one of the vertical signs and do remember handling them but don't know who was the mfg. Believe the ACME brand predated Cities Service accy line. Got some CS spark plugs also, believe mfg was Champion.
Posted By: RedHat Re: Oil and Tire Company Associations - Wed Apr 25 2018 01:07 PM
All right, great info so far. Here’s an updated list, maybe the admins can push this post to the top? Not sure what’s possible on this forum. If I make any mistakes as to specific company or brand names, feel free to let me know:

Tide Water Associated Oil Co. - Federal Tires, Flying A Tires

Lion Oil Co. - Kelly Tires

Standard Oil Co. - Atlas Tires

Cities Service Oil Co. - Acme Tires

Gulf Refining Co. - Branded their own Gulf Tires (Gulf Deluxe Crown, etc.)

Socony Vacuum Oil Co. - Branded their own Mobil Tires (Mobil Premier, etc.)

Sears, Roebuck and Co. - Allstate Tires

Sinclair Oil Corp. - Goodyear Tires

Gilmore Oil Co. - Norwalk Tires

Ohio Oil Co. - Cooper Tires

Skelly Oil Co. - Hood Tires

Found a photo of a Hi-Speed Station with some Lee Tires signage out front, too.

Attached picture 5ABC3F68-2F4A-4BD7-85F8-5666838F5FB7.jpeg
Posted By: Rabbitman Re: Oil and Tire Company Associations - Wed Apr 25 2018 04:18 PM
Skelly sold Hood Tires
Posted By: Ohio Oil Re: Oil and Tire Company Associations - Wed Apr 25 2018 08:29 PM
Ohio Oil Company was not known for selling Cooper tires as Cooper didn't adopt their Cooper branding until 1946 .... that was after Ohio Oil Co. became Marathon.

It was Marathon that was known for selling Cooper tires.
Posted By: RedHat Re: Oil and Tire Company Associations - Thu Apr 26 2018 11:27 AM
Okay Ohio Oil, I’ll edit it as per your instruction. You say the 1946 adopting of the Cooper branding was after Ohio Oil Co became Marathon, but didn’t Ohio Oil Co become the Marathon Oil Corp in ‘62? I know they adopted the Marathon trademark for their products and stations before ‘62, but I had thought they remained the Ohio Oil Co until the 60s?

Marathon Oil Corp. - Cooper Tires

Posted By: gulfiend! Re: Oil and Tire Company Associations - Thu Apr 26 2018 10:21 PM
Originally Posted by gulfiend!
Pure Oil - Yale Tires

Posted By: RedHat Re: Oil and Tire Company Associations - Fri Apr 27 2018 07:43 AM
Missed that one, added....

Marathon Oil Corp. - Cooper Tires

Pure Oil Co. - Yale Tires
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk