Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Gery Need help with "Shell flying start" sign - Mon May 07 2018 03:29 PM
Hello !If not, is anyone having information on this sign, where it was used and mounted on, production year ?
It has some small punches I can not identify and # 243 and other digits punched in two areas. Or it is fake ?
Thank you for your help on this.
BR
Gery

Attached picture Schild Stempel (658 x 359).jpg
Attached picture DSCF6432.jpg
Attached picture DSCF6434.jpg
Posted By: Gery Re: Need help with "Shell flying start" sign - Tue May 15 2018 06:23 PM
Thank you for your the huge response on my posts, this is a very friendly an warm forum here.
It was a very helpful finding people like you in this proudly Oldgas Forum.
Greetings to everybody here and I know now that I have to ***** of !
Posted By: Rabbitman Re: Need help with "Shell flying start" sign - Tue May 15 2018 07:49 PM
I guess from the sound of your last post that you are upset that you did not receive any input regarding this sign. The fact that you are asking for input on an item that is most likely European in origin from a mostly American forum probably has a lot to do with the limited responses you have had. Sorry if we seem to be ignoring you but if no one has any information about an item we tend not to post meaningless replies. We only have a couple of foreign members that post very often and the rest of us that do post regularly would help you if we could......
Posted By: wayno48 Re: Need help with "Shell flying start" sign - Tue May 15 2018 08:25 PM
Well said Rabbitman.
Posted By: RedHat Re: Need help with "Shell flying start" sign - Tue May 15 2018 10:55 PM
Originally Posted by Gery

Greetings to everybody here and I know now that I have to ***** of !

Take it easy, man. As Rabbitman says, nobody here is gonna waste your time with a filler post, if they don’t know then they don’t know...it’s as simple as that. Heck, some people have a hard time replying to PMs sent directly to them, no reason to get offended. You have an extremely obscure piece that has nothing to do with what 99% of the people on here collect. I find it weird the piece says “Property of Shell” and not the full name of the company from whichever country it was used in (i.e. in the US, Shell Oil Co....in NZ, the Shell Oil Co of New Zealand Ltd....etc., etc.). Normally any Shell logo with wings was an Aeroshell logo used for aviation vehicles, though, I can’t say I’ve ever seen this logo before either, the shape of the clamshell is odd. Additionally, it seems the majority of cast iron stuff is repos, but that doesn’t mean it can’t be legit. But, who knows. Just chill and give it some time, knowledge isn’t owed to anyone and it’s only been a week. You might get lucky, you might not....
Posted By: Done4 Re: Need help with "Shell flying start" sign - Tue May 15 2018 11:59 PM
In doing some checking on a sign that I'm interested in I came across this sign that was in an auction. The designs are similar but slightly different because we are here and you are there. But the style is close to one another. I know this does not help with your sign but at least you can confirm that there was a similar sign made here in the states. This sign was sold in 1994 for $1,600.00.

Still can't figure out what you meant in your closing sentence?

Attached picture cropped sign.jpg
Attached picture cropped copy.jpg
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk