Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Cola62 Paint Code - Mon Sep 10 2018 08:41 PM
I am having my Gilbarco pump painted in Shell colors. Can anyone provide me with paint codes for the yellow especially. The more orangy yellow . Also the red if you have it.
thx
Posted By: Richard J Bondy Re: Paint Code - Tue Sep 18 2018 01:21 AM
Shell slightly changed their shades of yellow through the years . I have the PPG Shell formula numbers for red and yellow in 1939 only. If I can help let me know and I will forward the PPG numbers for 1939. If your searching for another year stop by your local PPG dealer , they get excited about tough questions.
Posted By: advertologist Re: Paint Code - Tue Sep 18 2018 01:53 AM
early shell yellow paint code: .. ... cool

ppg paint code 70001 for the red.

Attached picture 1shelyelpnt.JPG
Attached picture 1shelyelpnt2.JPG
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: Paint Code - Tue Sep 18 2018 03:12 AM
I was looking at my brothers old internet site, gaspumpcolors.com, that is dead now but he had two shell yellows, one used in the east and one used in the west. The west US one was the more popular orangy-yellow one apparently. He probably used that terminology because its how its listed in the paint color books.
Posted By: T-way Re: Paint Code - Tue Sep 18 2018 02:12 PM
But remember . . . . almost all the big restoration companies stock decals that DON'T match the original colors. The decals are printed (in large quantities) and the actual manufacturers don't match the colors to historical colors or to standard usage PMS colors.

So if you are planning on using reproduction decals or porcelain signs - you're better off color matching your paint to them.

Later . . .

Jim
Posted By: Oldgas Re: Paint Code - Tue Sep 18 2018 05:45 PM
"The color code for my gas pump" in our Frequently Asked Questions section:

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=244591
Posted By: Richard J Bondy Re: Paint Code - Wed Sep 19 2018 11:27 AM
I used PPG paint. Shell Oil red was DDL70001 D and Shell Oil yellow was DDL81642.
Posted By: red_green17 Re: Paint Code - Sun Jul 09 2023 02:17 PM
Old thread but does anyone have the code handy for the older Shell red but for Sherwin-Williams?
Posted By: advertologist Re: Paint Code - Sun Jul 09 2023 02:32 PM
Originally Posted by red_green17
Old thread but does anyone have the code handy for the older Shell red but for Sherwin-Williams?

here you go .. ... cool

Attached picture 1bb4.PNG
Posted By: Ohio Oil Re: Paint Code - Sun Jul 09 2023 02:32 PM
I gotta believe if you take the PPG code listed above Sherwin Williams can cross code it.
Posted By: red_green17 Re: Paint Code - Sun Jul 09 2023 09:41 PM
Your a life saver!!! Thank you very much!
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk