Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: ConocoRetiree Martin & Schwartz 80 vs. Wayne 80 - Mon Oct 29 2018 01:25 PM
I am curious how to tell apart the Martin & Schwartz 80 pump from the Wayne 80 pump, other than seeing the manufacturer's plate in person. Does the face plate give it away? I have Jack Sim's pump bible (recent edition #3 as well as edition #1) and it seems that the M&S 80 has a round black background on the face plate (see first photo attached) and the Wayne 80 has black rectangular box backgrounds (see second photo). I understand that when Wayne purchased Martin & Schwartz in 1951 they simply moved the M&S manufacturing equipment to their facilities and continued production of the newly named Wayne 80 right away. I have the book "125 years of Wayne" but they don't address this issue in the book.

The M&S 80 face plate also has the "M&S" logo at the top, while the Wayne face plates seem to have (in tiny letters....not readable in this specific attachment) "Wayne" at the bottom. I suspect that for restoration purposes, the face plates are identical in size and shape such that either face plate could be used on either original pump, right?

So - for original pumps - is the face plate a reliable distinction between these two pumps? Thanks.

Andy

Attached picture M&S 80 N-tane #12.jpg
Attached File
Wayne 80 - Royal:Premium.png  (195 downloads)
Posted By: 71chevelle Re: Martin & Schwartz 80 vs. Wayne 80 - Mon Oct 29 2018 06:51 PM
Andy
I'm not an expert but I believe the MS 80 has a couple different faces.
Here is a pic of the one I have for sale now.

Chuck

Attached picture 20181029_144828.jpg
Posted By: The_QS Re: Martin & Schwartz 80 vs. Wayne 80 - Tue Oct 30 2018 12:46 AM
Dang chuck! That has to be one of the biggest bases i have ever seen for a MS80! how tall does that thing sit?

QS
Posted By: Done4 Re: Martin & Schwartz 80 vs. Wayne 80 - Tue Oct 30 2018 01:34 AM
That base was a Standard oil special order base. They thought the crown globe looked better being higher.
Posted By: 71chevelle Re: Martin & Schwartz 80 vs. Wayne 80 - Tue Oct 30 2018 01:57 AM
It is a tall one
6'2 to the top of the pump, 7'5 to the top of the globe
Posted By: tbuckles Re: Martin & Schwartz 80 vs. Wayne 80 - Tue Oct 30 2018 12:14 PM
First off I need to say that I have not researched all the 80 parts manuals to prove this but from my experience the answer may be the in the base.
The Wayne 80 uses a stamped steel base that has tabs that stick up to fit inside the frame rail. The bolts went thru horizontally or sideways.
The other style of base used a frame that had a plate welded on the bottom so the mounting bolts went straight down into the base. There are several variations of this base; cast iron, cast aluminium, stamped inverted. I believe all these variations were earlier.
Maybe Jack could weigh in, I've wondered this myself but never knew for sure.
Tom.
Posted By: ConocoRetiree Re: Martin & Schwartz 80 vs. Wayne 80 - Thu Nov 01 2018 07:38 PM
Chuck: you are right about the different M&S 80 faces. My good friend has one, and here is a photo of the face. The face says Martin & Schwartz, Salisbury, MD in small print at the bottom. I also took two screen shots of M&S 80 pumps off the internet, and you can clearly see the "Martin & Schwartz" just under the sight glass. I wonder if Wayne made any faces without the big black blocks, where they just have the name Wayne in small print on the face?

Thanks.

Andy

Attached picture M&S pump close up of front light bulb.jpg
Attached File
M&S 80 - face close up.png  (233 downloads)
Attached File
M&S 80 face up close #2.png  (258 downloads)
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk