Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: DavidV New here and new to gas pump collecting - Tue Nov 27 2018 04:14 AM
Hello OG members...

Have been reading this website for a while to learn about gas pumps and finally joined up. Recently found a few nice condition gas pumps with all their parts and only minor dings. I plan on restoring these as time allows, these are what I call my "Industrial Art" and really enjoy them. Such a great piece of Americana. What I have now is 2 Tokheim 39DP tall (4 ad glass) and a Tokheim 39 short and just picked up a National 300. It seems to be identical to the Tokheim 300 but has the National stainless steel band across the top. One of the 39 tall has a nice patina that I'll leave alone for now. This 300 is now stripped to the frame. This is going to be a complete tear down, it's going to the sandblaster and the frame getting powder coated. I'm going to try for a Gulf racing theme gas pump. It is a little ambitious since I haven't done restoration on a gas pump yet. I work for Los Angeles Fire and firemen are good at tearing stuff apart, not always so good at putting it all back together. Hence my girlfriends kitchen is in the middle of a remodel. Now... here is my question that you can see from the photos.

This 300 model pump has the weighted disc that helps return the hose. Do I need to keep this piece? It's a lot of extra weight that I just as soon remove. Is it really necessary to have the hose return if it is mostly a static display? I understand keeping the guts is mostly a personal preference but not sure what to do with this piece and is it important to keep it original?

Thank you for any advice and replies, David
ps. having a hell of time trying to get the sight glass round slot head screws out... any advice?[/font]

Attached picture thumbnail_20181126_151606.jpg
Attached picture thumbnail_20181126_151619.jpg
Attached picture thumbnail_20181108_160840.jpg
Attached picture thumbnail_Screenshot_2018-11-26-20-10-14-1.png
Posted By: Oldgas Re: New here and new to gas pump collecting - Mon Dec 03 2018 02:19 AM
Welcome to Oldgas.com. I think it would be nice to keep the hose retracting mechanism working. But if the weight is an issue, it is up to your preference to keep it or not.
Posted By: Leverhead Re: New here and new to gas pump collecting - Mon Dec 03 2018 02:56 AM
They are only original once. Once you have it where you want it how many times are you going to move it again? I like to put pumps on dollys.....like from harbor freight (save those 20% off coupons) ....and dress them up to disguise them....then you can roll them around if you need to. Just a thought....
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk