Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: justgassy Sad day for me. - Sat Dec 15 2018 03:47 PM
Living in the country at the end of a dead end road we've never had traffic. Over the past few years there's been all kinds of new housing going up in the area. Now with several subdivisions going up within a couple miles it's the start of problems I'm afraid. Recently I've had several people just drive up & ask to look at my stuff or do I want to sell anything. So I have decided to take down all of my outside stuff, just not comfortable with it visible from the road anymore. I'll give a couple weeks & get used to the empty hole then remove the rest.

So everything goes inside or gets sold if it don't fit.

I'll really miss seeing my signs lit up a night!

Attached picture 1.jpg
Attached picture 2.jpg
Attached picture 3.jpg
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: Sad day for me. - Sat Dec 15 2018 03:56 PM
Unfortunately Cliff I think that's the way it's going all over the country. The stuff is just getting too valuable to comfortably leave it out in the open. At the least outside signage and pumps are an attention getter, probably to the wrong people....
Darin
Posted By: Jolly-John Re: Sad day for me. - Sat Dec 15 2018 03:56 PM
I don't like feeling this way, Cliff....BUT I believe you're very wise to remove "information" and "temptation" from the view of the SOB's who would relieve you of these goodies for their own selfish gain. You're wise to realize it's now a different world out there, compared to when you first began collecting. John
Posted By: advertologist Re: Sad day for me. - Sat Dec 15 2018 04:10 PM
sorry too read stuff like this, its the way the whole world is getting - very wise decision .. ... cool
Posted By: Rabbitman Re: Sad day for me. - Sat Dec 15 2018 04:37 PM
It makes me mad and sad at the same time when we have to hide things we enjoy because of a few lousy people. I live about a thousand feet off the road and only have a single pump and a small sign above the entrance to my garage. There are times when cars drive up the driveway and proceed to just turn around, often through the yard, and leave unannounced. I know there are wrong turns now and then but I get a lot more than that and they are just snooping. You really have to look to see my small sign and pump by the garage from the road but there are a lot of people out there looking up every driveway for this stuff nowadays. A lot of folks ask me why I keep my collection a secret. I don't really keep it a secret but I don't advertise it boldly either. I try to subscribe to the theory that if a thief wants my stuff he will get it and all you can do is try your best to protect it and allow for the worst if it happens. Still, the world is getting to be a tough place to live. But then, that's what my grandfather used to tell me fifty years ago......GB
Posted By: Done4 Re: Sad day for me. - Sat Dec 15 2018 04:54 PM
We're lucky, our place is tucked in the woods off a small local two lane highway with not much traffic other then the summer when the people with second homes come here for weekends or vacations. But even then we have had people snooping around looking at the pole signs on the property. But that is the only thing I have outside because of what is going on now a days. Sad to have to feel this way and I can't imagine how I would feel if I had to take this stuff down. Feel for you man.
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: Sad day for me. - Sat Dec 15 2018 06:21 PM
Smart to take the signs down, I dont have anything outside. For pole signs, could you maybe make it "somewhat" theft proof by covering up all mounting hardware? Or is it just too easy to hook a chain to the whole thing and drive away?
Posted By: Bill jr Re: Sad day for me. - Sat Dec 15 2018 09:22 PM
Hope that day never comes I have pole signs,signs on the building and during nice weather 6 visible pumps outside
Bill
Posted By: RedHat Re: Sad day for me. - Sun Dec 16 2018 01:16 AM
Yeah, I’ve always been scared for those displaying their stuff out in the open. It’s one thing to have people look, you kinda expect that if you’ve got nice pumps or signs for all to see. But with the innocent gawkers comes those with darker intentions, unfortunately. With the crazy prices nowadays, I’d have one hell of a security system and insurance policy if I had the sign collections some have. Doubly so if anything more than rusty barn hangers was out in the open. Idk, it sucks
Posted By: Speedracer Re: Sad day for me. - Sun Dec 16 2018 02:07 AM
Cliff,

That is a real bummer, however I think it is very wise of you. I can imagine how cool your stuff probably looks lit up at night. However, thieves know that if you have just one 6' sign outside, that means the pole barn is probably full of goodies.

I just saw on Facebook today that a guy that owns an antique store near me just had 6 porcelain signs stolen from the outside of his shop. Such a sad world we live in sometimes.

-Steve
Posted By: justgassy Re: Sad day for me. - Sun Dec 16 2018 01:21 PM
Originally Posted by Speedracer
Cliff,

That is a real bummer, however I think it is very wise of you. I can imagine how cool your stuff probably looks lit up at night. However, thieves know that if you have just one 6' sign outside, that means the pole barn is probably full of goodies.

-Steve

This is the very reason for taking them down. Not like I have a huge collection like some, just feel like I'm advertising my stuff. Like you said, well if all that is outside what else is up there.

Hasn't been that many years since I started even shutting the shop door in nice weather.

Sad day when can't display & enjoy your stuff!

Cliff
Posted By: Don Beaver Re: Sad day for me. - Sun Dec 16 2018 08:22 PM
Probably a good idea Cliff I just had a 6' Texaco sign stolen off my garage wall 2-3 weeks ago. Sad that the world has come to this it should be legal to shoot the thieves the min you see them taking something that is not theirs.
Posted By: Gasman84470 Re: Sad day for me. - Sun Dec 16 2018 08:38 PM
I wonder what ARW thinks of this thread...he has a lot of signs outside?

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=91067&Number=552028#Post552028
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk