Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: mapper One more ebay seller rant - Mon Dec 31 2018 02:02 PM
I recently won a Pure Diesel pump plate on ebay. I didn't steal it, but I certainly didn't pay what it would go for anywhere else. I think the seller realized that too! A week (which was far too long to send it!) after I won the auction, I received this message:
"I’m really sorry, when I was heading out to ship the piece I dropped it. There’s not much left of it now."

I asked to see a picture of it anyways, but naturally, I haven't received a response. I know there isn't anything anyone can do, but thought i'd feel better posting this. Ok, maybe only slightly better; i'm still slightly angry with the seller.

Thanks guys.
Posted By: Jhaas63 Re: One more ebay seller rant - Mon Dec 31 2018 04:33 PM
Yea that is really lame. I would consider a negative feedback especially since there has been no photo of the “barely anything left of” pump plate.
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: One more ebay seller rant - Mon Dec 31 2018 04:53 PM
Man.... the seller must have dropped it from an airplane to have "damaged" it beyond recognition!

Reminds me of the time a few years ago when a seller listed a pile of 15" Marathon lenses for a BIN of $125 each choice....there was one green and orange Transcontinental "running man" lens which I bought right away. Would you believe within a very short time of my purchase all of the lenses were broken by his children? I called BS and left him negative feedback....I know darn well someone sent a big offer for the group and he cancelled the other purchases to sell to someone else.

I guess there are always going to be sellers like this on Ebay......luckily from past experience it doesn't happen real frequently.
Darin
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: One more ebay seller rant - Mon Dec 31 2018 05:39 PM
I too have encountered this,and just another reason of the advantage of buying in person at say a swapmeet.
Posted By: Mike M. Re: One more ebay seller rant - Mon Dec 31 2018 06:20 PM
As a Pure Guy, I always watch those auctions and it had my interest and you did buy it for a good price. My problem was his zero feedback and feedback seems to be the last salvation on ebay. I have found some deals are not worth the stress with ebay and would rather pay a few$$$$ more to a trusted seller.
Posted By: Tankar Re: One more ebay seller rant - Mon Dec 31 2018 09:34 PM
Not arguing that logic Mike but unfortunately when you start eBay it's starts with 1 feedback. now if they have a low feedback and have had problems then I run.
Posted By: BrianH Re: One more ebay seller rant - Tue Jan 01 2019 12:22 AM
This reminds me of one of my eBay experiences a few years ago. I needed a Williams gas-o-gun pump nozzle for my visible pump so I created a keyword alert for it. After a few months, one was finally posted for $75 BIN and I saw the alert within minutes. I jumped on, bought it and paid for it immediately. After a week of no response from the seller, she finally messaged me to say she "listed it by accident for a friend and they never intended to sell it". What a load of *****. I told her that if she wanted to sell her integrity for the value of that pump nozzle, that was her business. Same applies here.

A while back, I listed a nice Galena tin sign for sale on Facebook. Not being sure what it was worth, I ended up pricing it too low and needless to say it sold right away. I felt dumb for selling it too cheap but hey, that's my mistake. I keep my word.

BrianH
Posted By: mapper Re: One more ebay seller rant - Tue Jan 01 2019 12:22 PM
I guess those who don't have integrity don't understand what it means to really have integrity!

Yeah Mike, I thought about the seller's low rating, but figured with ebay's policies protecting the buyer more than the seller, it would work out. Oh well. It certainly wasn't a rare piece. Happy new year!
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk