Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: BA TRAMP OIL G&B T-177 - Tue Jan 15 2019 03:20 AM
Does anyone have nice photos of the inner workings of a Gilbert and Barker T-177? Are their any operating manuals out there? Thank you for any help you can provide and any photos or manuals you can share.
Posted By: huskybob Re: G&B T-177 - Tue Jan 15 2019 03:24 AM
http://oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=710122&page=all
Posted By: BA TRAMP OIL Re: G&B T-177 - Tue Jan 15 2019 04:24 AM
Thank you for the great start huskybob!
Posted By: FlyingAFlunkie Re: G&B T-177 - Tue Jan 15 2019 02:33 PM
The link that Huskybob cited was to my thread. I thought I had a 177 as it has the lights on the side of the bonnet, a different door and did not have the shutoff and divert mechanism typical of the 176. So it seems, and I am by no means an expert as this is my first and only pump is that there are variations in the two common models, 176 and 177. I bet your pump case looks way different from my pot style. Another possibility is that the farmers who picked these up for use, changed the mechanisms to make them fit their needs. Your pump pics look similar on the outside but different mechanisms and internals.
I can post more pics tonight if that would be helpful, but mine doesn't have that gear mechanism at all.

Thoughts? Rick
Posted By: BA TRAMP OIL Re: G&B T-177 - Tue Jan 15 2019 03:38 PM
Always like pics. This too is my first pump. It is my understanding that the T-176 has a short door and no gallon selectors behind the door where as the T-177, T-178 and T-179 have the gallon selectors along with a long access door. My pump doesn't appear to be modified inside; no extra holes or brackets of any kind. Heck, even one of the bolts and nuts appear to still have the original safety wire connected.

Attached picture Safety wire.PNG
Posted By: Morgan Re: G&B T-177 - Tue Jan 15 2019 03:55 PM
That's not a safety wire but a wire seal. The stop would have been set and sealed by the Dept of Weights and Measures. The lead seal may have an ID embossed into it.
Posted By: FlyingAFlunkie Re: G&B T-177 - Tue Jan 15 2019 03:58 PM
Ya I have nothing like that in mine. I'll post some more pics tonight but it will be late.
Posted By: FlyingAFlunkie Re: G&B T-177 - Tue Jan 15 2019 04:03 PM
Maybe mine is not a 177? Are you sure yours is? I guess I might need to buy the book to look at the other models too.
I've seen so many variations on the posted pictures across the web. Many involve different side light configurations or receptacles, etc. Could they be model 177 mod 2? Or are they user modifications over the many years?
I've also seen what seems to be a more common pump variant that looks like two side by side canisters rather than the pot. What does your pump look like?
Posted By: BA TRAMP OIL Re: G&B T-177 - Tue Jan 15 2019 05:07 PM
Hey Rick,

I started a different post questioning whether I actually had a type T-177. Jerry responded to my post with pics of his T-178 which has the same gears pictured in mine. His pump is still not identical but we are making headway in that I appear not to have a T-177 as previously thought. At least for now I do not appear to have a farmer's modified mess.

http://oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=723135#Post723135
Posted By: BA TRAMP OIL Re: G&B T-177 - Tue Jan 15 2019 05:34 PM
Here is the best pic of my manual pump that I can provide at the moment without pulling access panels. Hope it helps. I do have a 10 gal visible since that appears to make a difference in the type of manual pump installed.

Terry

Attached picture Pump.jpg
Posted By: FlyingAFlunkie Re: G&B T-177 - Tue Jan 15 2019 05:40 PM
That is looking familiar.
Posted By: BA TRAMP OIL Re: G&B T-177 - Tue Jan 15 2019 05:59 PM
Thank you Morgan! That makes sense now. So that whole setup pictured, to include the handle, is in regards to fuel settings and then locked and sealed by the Dept of Weights and Measures? What was used for control handle and what did the control handle look like? Is this pump a type T-178 or T-179 in your opinion?

Thank you for your comments.

Terry
Posted By: BA TRAMP OIL Re: G&B T-177 - Tue Jan 15 2019 07:11 PM
Morgan, just for curiosity sake here are pics of the top and bottom of that lead seal. Top appears to have a numbers "78" stamped in it but nothing on the bottom side.

Attached picture Top of seal  78.jpg
Attached picture Top of Seal - 78.jpg
Attached picture Bottom of Seal - blank.jpg
Posted By: Morgan Re: G&B T-177 - Tue Jan 15 2019 08:23 PM
BA Tramp, I can't help with 178 or 179 question, I haven't owned either. I do have some 176 and 177 models in storage.

Each inspector was issued a crimp tool. That allowed them to later be identified as the one certifying the pump for accurate measuring/dispensing of fuel. A lot of this would be done before the pump left the factory. It could be recertified in the field per state regulation or after a repair. I have some wire seals and crimper in my tool box but don't recall if it has numbers or letters. A seal or tag is a nice touch to a restoration.
Posted By: FlyingAFlunkie Re: G&B T-177 - Wed Jan 16 2019 03:04 AM
Here are the remaining pics from mine before I started the restoration. Some have been posted on the other thread about my pump. Maybe this can help, maybe not.

Attached picture IMG_0238.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0243.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0242.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0366.JPG
Posted By: FlyingAFlunkie Re: G&B T-177 - Wed Jan 16 2019 03:07 AM
If you can see around the rats' nest, there is no complicated mechanism in mine. I know it was used on the farm to pump diesel so I am betting the innards were simplified by the family.

Attached picture IMG_0375.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0374.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0373.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0372.JPG
Posted By: FlyingAFlunkie Re: G&B T-177 - Wed Jan 16 2019 03:11 AM
One last picture with skins off. Rats' nest!

Attached picture IMG_0376.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0368.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0370.JPG
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk