Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Teddy Sinclair HC porcelain lollipop sign base color - Sat Feb 09 2019 06:02 PM
I have a old original lollipop Sinclair sign 24" diameter. It was in an old gas station that was purchased over 40 yrs ago. Had been painted over a couple of times. Removed old paint form porcelain disc and looks very nice. My question is the lollipop base (marked Sinclair Oils) had 4 layers of paint. Red under white under dark gray under last coat of light gray. Only ones I have seen have been repainted and the bases and circle have been painted green. This one shows no sign of green. All the was down to bare steel scale it is red as first color. Could that have been original?
Thanks
Posted By: tbuckles Re: Sinclair HC porcelain lollipop sign base color - Mon Feb 11 2019 05:32 PM
Hi Ted,

First welcome to Oldgas!

Your question is hard to answer because it's highly unlikely that anyone has an original one that's never been repainted and it's not likely that any color photos exist of that era.

Your method of paint excavation is mostly likely your best answer. My advise... and I'm a Sinclair collector is to paint it the color you like.

Tom.
Posted By: Teddy Re: Sinclair HC porcelain lollipop sign base color - Fri Feb 15 2019 10:40 PM
Thanks Tom. I will go with the red that seems to be original. Just going to display in our Harley / Honda dealership.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk