Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: champlinman Texaco Auto Diesel pump plate history - Sun May 05 2019 03:37 AM
I’m having trouble finding much on this painted tin pump plate. Can any Texaco buffs tell me anything about it?
Sure doesn’t look to be any kind of reproduction. Thx!!

Attached picture 332B854B-7FA5-4456-848A-68FDF693654A.jpeg
Attached picture DE63F0A2-646B-4D38-B0F5-9BEE271FFAB8.jpeg
Attached picture FBAE2269-7A05-4467-8F8B-9A4023A3D70F.jpeg
Posted By: deacon Re: Texaco Auto Diesel pump plate history - Fri May 10 2019 04:16 PM
Seriously doubt authenticity diesel chief not auto diesel
Posted By: Lappin864 Re: Texaco Auto Diesel pump plate history - Fri May 10 2019 04:21 PM
Deacon, Auto Diesel was the successor to Diesel Chief
Posted By: Alex Re: Texaco Auto Diesel pump plate history - Fri May 10 2019 05:05 PM
Dan is correct....And they are a hard item to find.
Posted By: Lappin864 Re: Texaco Auto Diesel pump plate history - Fri May 10 2019 05:10 PM
Alex, This is Matt, Daniel's son haha. But I have learned a lot from my dad.
Posted By: deacon Re: Texaco Auto Diesel pump plate history - Fri May 10 2019 07:39 PM
Really -in what year did this occur and what part of the US were they used on pumps/dispensers?
I left Texaco in '85 and do not recall using this identification in any installations on the east coast---- curious if u know
Posted By: Alex Re: Texaco Auto Diesel pump plate history - Fri May 10 2019 09:33 PM
Well, if it is Matt...then maybe he is wrong...LOL
Deacon: I have it in a reference book at home and will respond with the info when I get off work. I don't think it is foreign.....Standby
Posted By: Alex Re: Texaco Auto Diesel pump plate history - Sat May 11 2019 02:47 AM
I found two references to the sign. Both are in Scott Benjamin and Wayne Henderson books. The first is “Oil Company Signs” published in 1995. Page 175; two examples. The first looks like the example above except it has has the regular round Texaco logo like all of the other diesel signs with the “Auto Diesel” as shown above. Book says this version was used from 1963-1967. The version shown above was used from 1967-1970.

The second reference is their 2003 version of “PCM’s Guide to Gas Pump Restoration,” second edition, page 250.

Now, having said all that, I noticed the sign above is dated 1974. According to the books they were used until 1970. I am unfamiliar of any foreign applications. So, that date has me somewhat bewildered. So, the mystery continues.
Posted By: Alex Re: Texaco Auto Diesel pump plate history - Sat May 11 2019 03:01 AM
One other reference in the gas pump restoration book is on page 204, it shows a picture of a pump with the last version of the sign. It makes reference of both versions of signs used from 1965-1971.
Posted By: champlinman Re: Texaco Auto Diesel pump plate history - Sat May 11 2019 10:52 AM
Sign came from Petersburg, Virginia. A picker guy I know does storm damage claims all over. He bought this from a guy at one of his stops. Thanks guys for all your information!
Posted By: deacon Re: Texaco Auto Diesel pump plate history - Sat May 11 2019 11:23 AM
Alex:
I am hesitant to keep this going as I am trusting to memory (82 yrs) however I am bothered by several aspects of the sign-
1-the use of a spray design with a HEX logo -versus the older round logo
2-the letter designation on lower right (A) of the sign -usually a straight forward date is used
3-in the 60's and 70's Texaco had stations on many major highways, ie NYThruway-Mass Pike and there was diesel on the pump islands -I
cannot recall our using signage at those locations like the sign in question--
This is not to say it was not used in other markets -southwest or mid-west --but doubt it was used in the east
Dann
Posted By: Alex Re: Texaco Auto Diesel pump plate history - Sat May 11 2019 02:16 PM
Dann: I am glad you are weighing in here. This is a good discussion. I have not seen any pictures of actual pumps with the sign(s) in question being used. In your experience what signage or decals do you remember Texaco using when you worked there in the 60s and 70s?
Posted By: bsplichal95 Re: Texaco Auto Diesel pump plate history - Sat May 11 2019 08:26 PM
Cool sign Todd!
Posted By: deacon Re: Texaco Auto Diesel pump plate history - Sun May 12 2019 01:08 PM
Alex: Those stations that had Diesel Fuel had pumps/dispensers that were painted green with the Diesel Chief spray sign-round logo PP(diesel fuel written below in ( ) and a Diesel Chief Globe ( Tokheim pumps as i recall) in the early years '60's.Later as more modern dispensers were used (AO Smith type) the globes disappeared -remember signage was not always the same through out the US- for example Diesel Chief 1 was designed for the midwest -far west and Diesel Chief W was for Alaska. In 1963 Texaco refined 11 Diesel Fuels for different markets and uses -Diesel Chief and Diesel Chief L had higher Cetane #'s and were primarily for higher speed engines . At Marinas we used the Green Diesel Chief sign. I find no reference to Auto Diesel but it could have come later for select markets --I never saw it used in my years with Texaco.
Yes -interesting discussion -would like to see a pic of one on a dispenser at a Texaco Station just for Ha Ha's
Dann
Posted By: champlinman Re: Texaco Auto Diesel pump plate history - Sun May 12 2019 04:11 PM
Sign was found in Petersburg Virginia.
Posted By: Alex Re: Texaco Auto Diesel pump plate history - Sun May 12 2019 11:42 PM
https://www.google.com/search?q=tex...w&client=safari#imgrc=xqNNtOK1o6TLBM

Not sure if this link will work, but I found a discussion from Oldgas on this back in 2015.
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: Texaco Auto Diesel pump plate history - Sun May 12 2019 11:47 PM

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=603462

See if this link works......
I wrote a reply and deleted it yesterday saying I thought I had seen this sign discussed on the forum before....
Darin
Posted By: Alex Re: Texaco Auto Diesel pump plate history - Mon May 13 2019 12:07 AM
Thanks Darin
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk