Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Caddyman58 Flying A Northern Newbie - Sun Jun 30 2019 04:05 AM
Hi and greetings from the frozen North. I was an active sign collector in the early 1980's dragging stuff home from the Portland and Spokane swap meets for 20+ years. I put things on hold for a long time for family and business reasons but as I am now semi retired, I am excited to be getting back into this wonderful hobby (and was very happy to discover this site). Back in the pre-internet days, it was harder to find out info about a lot of the signs and companies so I am hoping that some of the site members can help fill in some of the info gaps I have in regards to my collection.
One of the problems of being located in Canada at that time was that there was very little knowledge about Flying A stuff in general. I have posted 2 pictures of a sign I bought back in Portland in 1986. It is SST and at the time I believed it to be NOS as it was still in its original shipping wrapper (there are still a few mounting holes that are covered with paint). As I recall, there is 2 written labels on the back indicating Tidewater Oil Co, Lakeview, Oregon. The sign measures 11" high by 103" in width. The Flying A symbol is a reflective decal. I have never seen another one (or a picture of one) and would appreciate any info the members could provide. As well, it has been hanging on the wall since the early 1990's and I would appreciate any tips on proper cleaning so as not to damage it. Thanks very much!!

Attached picture 002 (3).JPG
Attached picture 001 (9).JPG
Posted By: SandPCollector Re: Flying A Northern Newbie - Sun Jun 30 2019 12:45 PM
Welcome to Oldgas. I'm sure some of the members here can provide you with some information. Good luck with your quest for knowledge!
Posted By: Caddyman58 Re: Flying A Northern Newbie - Sun Jun 30 2019 05:16 PM
Thanks very much, I really appreciate the welcome. I spent a lot of time looking over the site and was very impressed by the knowledge of all the members. Hopefully someone who has focused on Flying A collecting can offer some guidance. I look forward to learning from and talking to the other members.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk