Oldgas.com Home

Tidewater Question

Posted By: Caddyman58

Tidewater Question - Tue Jul 02 2019 09:44 PM

I was hoping one of the members can shed a bit of knowledge on a sign I purchased about 25yrs ago. I have always assumed it was a pump plate but I have looked at numerous pictures of Veedol/Tydol and Flying A pumps and have yet to see it anywhere. It measures 16" w x 7" H. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

Attached picture 001 (11).JPG
Posted By: advertologist

Re: Tidewater Question - Wed Jul 03 2019 12:15 AM

I have this same sign & always assumed it was a bulk plant or truck door sign .. ... cool

Attached picture 1distwopro.PNG

Re: Tidewater Question - Wed Jul 03 2019 03:41 AM

I never thought of that but it makes sense....lack of grommets maybe ruled out being pump mounted. Any idea how old it would be?
Posted By: advertologist

Re: Tidewater Question - Wed Jul 03 2019 03:16 PM

late 40's/50's era .. ... cool
Posted By: gulfiend!

Re: Tidewater Question - Wed Jul 03 2019 04:13 PM

...not too many 16" wide pump signs out there - in fact, given the width of an average pump door, I can't think of any...also, a pump plate wouldn't need to advertise as a distributor...
Posted By: coopersplace

Re: Tidewater Question - Wed Jul 03 2019 04:28 PM

I did a simple search for Tidewater Oil truck and came up with this photo. Sorry the quality isn't the best but it does look like the same sign on the door. The photo is dated 1965. Cheers, Don.

Attached picture t1.jpg
Posted By: gulfiend!

Re: Tidewater Question - Wed Jul 03 2019 07:01 PM

...well done!

...the font on the large sign on the tank - and the sign on the apex of the roof - makes me wonder if this isn't close to the Getty rebranding...

Re: Tidewater Question - Sat Jul 13 2019 05:57 AM

Thanks to all the members for their help on clarifying the origins of the sign. Much appreciated
© 2019 Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk