Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: HTXCarl Erie (Merit) 176 Hand Pump - Fri Aug 16 2019 02:06 AM
Acquired an Erie (Merit) 176 yesterday. It’s missing, what I’m guessing is some type of metering device? The casting is broken where it would have attached... Does anyone have any info on what it may have been or looked like?

Also, the nozzle handle is broken on the spigot; any chance someone has a replacement? Does this look the same as an Erie lubester that it could be replaced with? Just planning to blast, polish and paint, then collect dust with all my other junk :P

Attached picture IMG_5509.JPG
Attached picture IMG_4755.JPG
Attached picture IMG_4864.JPG
Attached picture IMG_2696.JPG
Posted By: Ron Scobie Re: Erie (Merit) 176 Hand Pump - Sat Aug 17 2019 12:49 AM
I can make you a photo copy of the original parts break down. Price would be $6 shipped.
Ron
Posted By: Jack Sim Re: Erie (Merit) 176 Hand Pump - Sat Aug 17 2019 02:38 AM
Metering devices were usually an option. This type of pump was usually used in a commercial area, like a farm where they didn't need to keep track of how much was used.

Jack Sim
Posted By: HTXCarl Re: Erie (Merit) 176 Hand Pump - Thu Aug 22 2019 04:11 AM
Thank you for the information gentlemen!

Ron, I will be sending you an email!

Jack, you are correct, and my apologies for the terminology error; I believe there may have been a limiter (not metering device) to control the volume dispensed, i.e. quart, gallon, etc.
Posted By: Jack Sim Re: Erie (Merit) 176 Hand Pump - Fri Aug 23 2019 03:38 AM
The earliest advertisement I have is 1924 for Merit. They made only oil and grease dispensers at that time. The did offer a gas pump for sale in 1931, but it was a pump made by Bowser and rebranded Merit. It appears they did not make it through the depression and the company was sold to the Erie Company. At that time Erie did not make this type of equipment, just gas pumps. This way they could expand their business. Early on they called this type of equipment "Erie Merit" but the name Merit was dropped during the 1930's. One more thing, I cannot find any mention of your pump under the name Merit, so it was probably a pump that was developed by Erie after the merger.

Jack Sim
Posted By: Ron Scobie Re: Erie (Merit) 176 Hand Pump - Fri Aug 23 2019 11:34 AM
The parts breakdown I'm sending you shows effective pricing as of Feb. 10th, 1942.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk