Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: steve1768 Removing top layer of paint - old pump - Mon Aug 19 2019 10:05 PM
I have an old Tokheim pump. Does anyone know the best way to remove the top layer of paint to reveal the original color underneath. I can see the original green color slightly coming through but it still has a layer of white paint over it now chipping off.
Sandpaper maybe?
Posted By: Jhaas63 Re: Removing top layer of paint - old pump - Tue Aug 20 2019 01:26 AM
Good question. Careful wet sanding?
Posted By: Jhaas63 Re: Removing top layer of paint - old pump - Tue Aug 20 2019 01:27 AM
Pressure washing?
Posted By: Shopguy Re: Removing top layer of paint - old pump - Tue Aug 20 2019 02:05 AM
I've done this before on old arcade cabinets that have been painted over with mixed success. It all comes down to how well the prep was done for the coat of paint that you want to take off. If it was just slapped on top of the original, with no sanding or primer, light coats of Citristrip and a careful hand will take off the layer you want and leave the original intact.
Posted By: KZ1000 Re: Removing top layer of paint - old pump - Tue Aug 20 2019 02:17 AM
Easy off oven cleaner works for me
Posted By: Speedracer Re: Removing top layer of paint - old pump - Tue Aug 20 2019 04:59 AM
White paint chipping off over green paint??? It sounds like you might have a cool looking patina pump. Can you post a picture for us please?

-Steve
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk