Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: buzzy56 Globe holder Mount Ring - Mon Nov 25 2019 02:32 AM
Need some help . Have a Bennett 150 clockface pump that I want to mount a 6” re production crown globe on. The original globe mounting ring is 7” . I searched previous post’s on Old Gas and they appear to address placing a Original Crown 7” base globe on a 6” globe ring on a newer pump with a cast iron adapter. Looked on line and could not find a 7” to 6” adapter ring . I messaged Ron Scobie but never got a reply . Figured he had the answer to this problem . Thanks for any assistance on this .
Posted By: TN Volunteer Re: Globe holder Mount Ring - Mon Nov 25 2019 03:04 AM
It would be better to call him than to message him.
Posted By: MATT ALVAREZ Re: Globe holder Mount Ring - Mon Nov 25 2019 03:12 AM
You can use a 6 inch globe in a 7 inch holder, just use longer screws. I have seen a 7 to 6 adapter, but they must be rare because I only seen one.
Posted By: buzzy56 Re: Globe holder Mount Ring - Mon Nov 25 2019 03:24 AM
Thanks guys I figured the same but thought the long screws would make the crown top heavy globe slightly unstable on the original mount
Maybe silicone it in also .Looks like that’s the way we will have to go . It will be an outside pump so the reason I went with a re-po globe . If it gets damaged by hail , BB gun shot I won’t be out as much as an original globe . Thanks for the quick responses.
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: Globe holder Mount Ring - Mon Nov 25 2019 03:45 AM
I might have a 7 inch to 6 inch adapter?
I have had several but sold them over the years.
I will look tomorrow and see if I still have one left?
Posted By: buzzy56 Re: Globe holder Mount Ring - Mon Nov 25 2019 04:07 AM
Ok thanks for checking .
Posted By: Speedracer Re: Globe holder Mount Ring - Mon Nov 25 2019 02:40 PM
Buzzy, I live in Michigan and have at least 4 variations of Standard Oil Crown globes that I’d sell, if you change your mind.

-Steve
Posted By: buzzy56 Re: Globe holder Mount Ring - Mon Nov 25 2019 02:59 PM
Thanks for the response . I looked for an original for a few weeks but the ones I found were too far away and I don’t trust shipping anymore on something that big .I was hoping to pick up an original one in person and did not find any close to me except the re po I purchased. I am going to go with what I have for right now but will keep you in mind for future reference . Thanks again Bob
Posted By: Speedracer Re: Globe holder Mount Ring - Mon Nov 25 2019 04:22 PM
Sounds good, I should mention that mine are original (2 were repainted) And I’m near Chesterfield, MI, should you change your mind or decide to put it inside. Thanks.
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: Globe holder Mount Ring - Mon Nov 25 2019 06:32 PM
Found it! Measures 6 7/8 on the bottom and 6 1/8 where the globe sits in.
Price is $100 shipped.

Attached picture Globe adapter.jpg
Posted By: buzzy56 Re: Globe holder Mount Ring - Tue Nov 26 2019 01:48 AM
Let me unwrap my pump tomorrow and look at the original mount on it . I wrapped it for the winter as it’s outside.Thanks bob
Posted By: cggas Re: Globe holder Mount Ring - Tue Nov 26 2019 02:20 AM

Just curious, did they make these back in the day? Or would they be reproduction? I’ve never seen one just didn’t kno such a piece existed.
Posted By: buzzy56 Re: Globe holder Mount Ring - Tue Nov 26 2019 02:44 AM
This is a factory old piece 6” to 7” inch adapter don’t no if the 7” to 6” is new stock or old factory . Picture looks lot different on Frith’s 7” to 6” adapter ?

Attached picture 54BC2A08-FF97-4BF2-A6FF-352FDCDD7155.png
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: Globe holder Mount Ring - Tue Nov 26 2019 04:41 AM
They actually made both adapters "back in the day". The 6 to 7 was needed more often but there were several variations of the 7 to 6 that I have found in use on old pumps. I don't have any photographic record of them, but I have experienced at least 4 different types.
Posted By: cggas Re: Globe holder Mount Ring - Tue Nov 26 2019 10:37 AM

Ya I’ve had a few of the 6 to 7, I model was so crude I thought it was home made, but have seen many more since then.
Posted By: buzzy56 Re: Globe holder Mount Ring - Tue Nov 26 2019 09:50 PM
Sorry it took awhile but the wife’s been real sick all day and I could not get outside to uncover it to check the Globe retainer inside diameter that I have on the pump now . The top lip is 7 1/8” opening but is necked down in the bottom to 6 1/8 “ . So to my surprise the crown globe should sit down in side the lower level of the existing ring .Thank you I Appreciate your efforts in locating it for me. Bob
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: Globe holder Mount Ring - Tue Nov 26 2019 10:51 PM
Not sure what you mean by "necked down" and "lower level"?
If your globe ring is 7 1/8 opening, you have 2 choices.
You can use longer screws like Matt suggested or use an adapter.
I assume you intend to set it in there "as is" and won't need this adapter?
Posted By: buzzy56 Re: Globe holder Mount Ring - Wed Nov 27 2019 03:48 AM
Picture shows what I have on the pump and lower level is 6 1/8 “ opening .Red arrow . Looks like I won’t need an adapter .

Attached picture FAF81CD3-72A0-424F-B4F1-CD36D7A62A46.jpeg
Posted By: cggas Re: Globe holder Mount Ring - Wed Nov 27 2019 10:44 AM

You have an adapter on there already!!
Posted By: buzzy56 Re: Globe holder Mount Ring - Wed Nov 27 2019 02:59 PM
Thanks as I have never seen a Bennett 150 in person before and not many pictures of one just showing the top cap . I was unaware as to what it originally should look like . So thanks for everyone’s input . Seeing how this is only my fifth gas pump & all different brands , I am still learning . I have to honor and recognize all the senior members on this site whom have so much knowledge and experience and are willing to share it with us rookies. I remember on my first pump & never having any knowledge of pumps and cans and companies .Old Dick Bennett baby sat me in his own unusual way all the way thru my first restoration.What a guy miss his commentary , rough at times but too the point ! Oh well good to be a part of a top notch organization that shares a wealth of information .
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: Globe holder Mount Ring - Wed Nov 27 2019 08:06 PM
Originally Posted by cggas

You have an adapter on there already!!

Yes, you have a 6 to 7 inch adapter sitting on top your pump!
Pull that thing off and put it on the shelf for the future when you have a globe with a 7 inch base!
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk