Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: 71chevelle Gilmore Kiddie ride - Wed Jan 15 2020 12:17 AM
Hi all

My X wife is the GM of a vintage automobile / Petroliana museum and someone is wanting to donate this Gilmore Lion Kiddie ride to the museum.
I've never seen one and am thinking it was just a Lion Ride restored to the Gilmore brand but I am no expert.

Any thoughts? Authentic or Fantasy Piece?

Thanks

Attached picture Screenshot_20200114-185334_Message+.jpg
Posted By: buzzy56 Re: Gilmore Kiddie ride - Wed Jan 15 2020 12:31 AM
Real deal one sold at Mecum for 5 digits ! Lucky
Posted By: 71chevelle Re: Gilmore Kiddie ride - Wed Jan 15 2020 12:47 AM
This is the one from Mecum. Sold for $1770.
Posted By: Donald D. Brock Re: Gilmore Kiddie ride - Wed Jan 15 2020 02:22 AM
71 Chevelle,
You are correct that this has just been painted to look as if it is from a Petroleum company. I bought about 40 vintage (1950s-60s) kiddy-rides a few years ago. Among them was one of these "Leo the Lion" rides. I do not know if Gilmore ever had any sort of ride attraction but it would not have been this....based primarily on the age of the coin-op vs. Gilmore's existence. There was also a Tiger/Panther ride made that is simply meant to be the animal. I've seen it painted, and promoted, as the Esso Tiger. The price paid at Mecum for this Lion piece is about market-correct for a ride in good to excellent condition. Depending on the character or craft and/or quality of restoration, they can go for much more. Low condition rides needing repair are often less.
Posted By: 71chevelle Re: Gilmore Kiddie ride - Wed Jan 15 2020 02:31 AM
Thank.you for information.
I'm guessing that's why if sold well below the estimated.

I will.pass this information on .
I really appreciate it.

Chuck
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk