Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Litigator21 New Member, Texaco Marine Oil sign - Thu Jan 30 2020 08:41 PM
Hello Everyone

My name is Stephen

Years ago I obtained a porcelain Texaco Marine Oil sign from a relative that worked as a Texaco salesman in the 40’s thru 70’s. I understand it’s is a rare and desired item for collectors. I’m hoping you can educate me on the sign and collecting in general. I’ve attached some pictures and would love to know what you think about it

Attached picture 16C60EDE-C98A-4EA5-8F06-20FD9991364F.jpeg
Attached picture 8CBDEDB2-96BE-4C74-8061-0A850D96D910.jpeg
Attached picture 3E86AE95-295D-4AEB-9F4A-FD1AEFB892EB.jpeg
Posted By: Tankar Re: New Member, Texaco Marine Oil sign - Thu Jan 30 2020 10:16 PM
Always wanted one. Great sign. Its legit.
Posted By: SandPCollector Re: New Member, Texaco Marine Oil sign - Thu Jan 30 2020 10:17 PM
Stephen, Welcome to Oldgas. Nice old sign you have!
Posted By: advertologist Re: New Member, Texaco Marine Oil sign - Fri Jan 31 2020 01:47 AM
appears sign should clean up - pretty $carce $ign too obtain .. ... cool

Attached File
1TEXMARSN.PNG  (58 downloads)
Posted By: Litigator21 Re: New Member, Texaco Marine Oil sign - Fri Jan 31 2020 02:45 AM
Thanks so much for your input. Do you have any thoughts on my best options should I want to sell?
Posted By: advertologist Re: New Member, Texaco Marine Oil sign - Fri Jan 31 2020 03:00 AM
Originally Posted by Litigator21
Do you have any thoughts on my best options should I want to sell?

first thing you want too do is clean the sign too evaluate for a asking price .. ... cool
Posted By: Litigator21 Re: New Member, Texaco Marine Oil sign - Fri Jan 31 2020 05:39 AM
Could you offer me some advice on the proper way to clean it. I have no clue
Posted By: Litigator21 Re: New Member, Texaco Marine Oil sign - Fri Jan 31 2020 05:42 AM
Thanks so much for your comment. I appreciate it
Posted By: Litigator21 Re: New Member, Texaco Marine Oil sign - Fri Jan 31 2020 05:42 AM
Thanks much. I appreciate you kind remark
Posted By: Stephenwarren30 Re: New Member, Texaco Marine Oil sign - Fri Jan 31 2020 01:57 PM
Hey Stephen,
I use a powder cleaner called Zud that is really good on porcelain. It is good to clean rust spots and also shine up the porcelain.

Attached picture F2D0F6DF-F76A-4CB8-A50A-A6CB06D59BC1.jpeg
Posted By: advertologist Re: New Member, Texaco Marine Oil sign - Fri Jan 31 2020 05:21 PM
some remedies for cleaning porcelain signs: - .. ... cool

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=179563

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=140114
Posted By: Litigator21 Re: New Member, Texaco Marine Oil sign - Sun Feb 02 2020 05:18 AM
You are the best. Thank you. Stephen
Posted By: Litigator21 Re: New Member, Texaco Marine Oil sign - Sun Feb 02 2020 05:28 AM
Thank you. I really appreciate the advice from the forum. Stephen
Posted By: mtrotnic Re: New Member, Texaco Marine Oil sign - Sun Feb 02 2020 11:05 PM
If this sign becomes available please provide us with a link to it.
Posted By: Jolly-John Re: New Member, Texaco Marine Oil sign - Mon Feb 03 2020 02:38 AM
OR, if it becomes available, you could list it for sale here on Old Gas! John
Posted By: Alex Re: New Member, Texaco Marine Oil sign - Mon Feb 03 2020 04:35 AM
I use Barkeeper’s Friend and 000 steel wool. This is an example off of a large Texaco Marine porcelain sign. If I might also offer some advice. If you are selling, take your time. Get lots of advice and opinions. Look at completed auctions. In the past people have used EBay. Set a large reserve price to get a feel. You will probably gets lots of offers through this site to your private message. Be patient. Great sign that any Texaco collector (like myself) or any sign collector would love to have in their collection...be patient...have I said that??? LOL
Alex

Attached picture 35AAAD1D-506C-4AA4-8D5F-240C44C981DD.jpeg
Attached picture 470D6502-13C5-4A1E-9322-E2860A8DE2D4.jpeg
Posted By: mtrotnic Re: New Member, Texaco Marine Oil sign - Mon Feb 03 2020 04:42 AM
Am I in the minority in saying I have no issues with that sign as is? No cleaning necessary. Those rust stains add to the sign in my opinion.
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: New Member, Texaco Marine Oil sign - Mon Feb 03 2020 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by mtrotnic
Am I in the minority in saying I have no issues with that sign as is? No cleaning necessary. Those rust stains add to the sign in my opinion.

While some may like the sign as is, I would say the majority of buyers for a sign of this caliber would want it cleaned to see the sign in the best condition possible, especially if you were spending the coin on it.
Posted By: Tankar Re: New Member, Texaco Marine Oil sign - Mon Feb 03 2020 03:23 PM
I clean all my signs. Just looks better and does not devalue it.
Posted By: Alex Re: New Member, Texaco Marine Oil sign - Tue Feb 04 2020 01:35 AM
Originally Posted by DWSheffer

While some may like the sign as is, I would say the majority of buyers for a sign of this caliber would want it cleaned to see the sign in the best condition possible, especially if you were spending the coin on it.

For what my opinion is worth...as others said, for a sign of that caliber...definitely clean...getting the rust off will help it from deteriorating further...but, DO NOT restore, touch up or anything else. (Sorry for the triple post, am On my phone and not sure what happened)
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk