Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Stephenwarren30 Bringing Back Color in Faded Porcelain - Wed Apr 29 2020 06:13 PM
I have researched our site for discussions on discoloring of very old porcelain. I have noticed a lot of good offerings. I came to a conclusion that I was going to try Howard’s Feed N Wax. I was really impressed with the results. I posted pics of the two signs (before and after). I treated each sign...generous application...let sit for 20 minutes...wipe off excess...polish with cloth. Impressive!!! Thought I would share the results.

Attached picture BEF11310-3AD9-43EB-867B-07A4AC02E6E2.jpeg
Attached picture 07993EC0-6517-467E-9D7A-A68243224989.jpeg
Attached picture 4582A253-33DF-4482-A1FA-49BF7F59A4A3.jpeg
Attached picture D7764FFF-0F2C-4C6A-8FAD-34CB8DDB91AD.jpeg
Posted By: SandPCollector Re: Bringing Back Color in Faded Porcelain - Wed Apr 29 2020 06:41 PM
Steve, Nice before and after pics. The results are very noticeable, looks like your elbow grease payed off!
Posted By: Done4 Re: Bringing Back Color in Faded Porcelain - Wed Apr 29 2020 07:17 PM
Nice job!! I will have to give Howard a go.
Posted By: Speedracer Re: Bringing Back Color in Faded Porcelain - Thu Apr 30 2020 04:50 AM
I use that stuff. It's great stuff. I used it on several signs in my collection. However, If your going to sell a sign, leave it as is so the new owner can see the fading and original condition. Or you can just wash it off with soap and water if you decide to sell a sign. I have passed on a few blue signs at shows, because I could tell they were juiced up faded signs. Great stuff.
Posted By: coltex Re: Bringing Back Color in Faded Porcelain - Thu Apr 30 2020 02:39 PM
Thank you Speedracer for adding that. Nothing worse than buying a sign at a show and find out it has been waxed to cover the fade.
Posted By: advertologist Re: Bringing Back Color in Faded Porcelain - Thu Apr 30 2020 02:50 PM
Originally Posted by Speedracer
I have passed on a few blue signs at shows, because I could tell they were juiced up faded signs. Great stuff.

that would depend on the rarity of the sign, that might play a plus in negotiating .. ... cool
Posted By: Speedracer Re: Bringing Back Color in Faded Porcelain - Thu Apr 30 2020 11:05 PM
Originally Posted by advertologist
Originally Posted by Speedracer
I have passed on a few blue signs at shows, because I could tell they were juiced up faded signs. Great stuff.

that would depend on the rarity of the sign, that might play a plus in negotiating .. ... cool
Yeah I hear ya Randy. In my case I tried to negotiate and tell the guy they were faded and waxed. He swore nothing was done to the signs - “all original”. Lol. I could feel the feed & wax on my fingers. I just told him they were nice and moved along.
Posted By: Steven C. Re: Bringing Back Color in Faded Porcelain - Fri May 01 2020 08:52 AM
Wow the results on that blue are amazing!! But your telling me this will wash right off and be back to the white faded original look??
Posted By: Stephenwarren30 Re: Bringing Back Color in Faded Porcelain - Fri May 01 2020 11:05 AM
I have been following the discussion sense posting it. There does not seem to be a residue from the treatment and color enhancement is notable. For me, it is the silver bullet to bring to life a few of my oldest signs that were in need of help. My Supreme Oil Sign lettering at the bottom was really faded. I wonder if the cobalt blue has a stronger reaction to treatment. I am not the expert, but I sure am pleased. Also, I sure understand the discussion about not wanting to deceive anyone at sale but for the “bringing back to life” of my 1920s signs I keep in my personal collection...this is great!
Posted By: Gasman84470 Re: Bringing Back Color in Faded Porcelain - Fri May 01 2020 06:33 PM
Steve when searching for Howard's I find it is for rejuvenating wood. Is that the same product you're using?
Posted By: Speedracer Re: Bringing Back Color in Faded Porcelain - Fri May 01 2020 10:06 PM
This is what I use...

Attached picture CE093E00-893C-487A-AB63-A4017575D72A.jpeg
Posted By: KZ1000 Re: Bringing Back Color in Faded Porcelain - Fri May 01 2020 10:44 PM
I've used it for years on my keeper signs, it works best on cobalt blue. The color will stay as long as you want, you can wash the sign but it doesn't go right back to "faded blue", it does retain some luster.
There is nothing sneaky about it, you can feel the greasyness of it.
Posted By: Stephenwarren30 Re: Bringing Back Color in Faded Porcelain - Fri May 01 2020 11:20 PM
Yes...Steve (Speed Racer) posted a photo of Howard’s...that is it.
Steve
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk