Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Big B1 Clock help - Tue Jul 21 2020 05:11 PM
I’m trying to get information on this clock I’m getting . How does face come off to get to inside without destroying cover ? It seems to be plastic . Are parts available anywhere and what’s the value of this ? As you can see it still working been up there since 1956 Thanks
I’m taking it down Friday,

Attached picture BA194BC8-6871-4D56-B05B-08FC558448F9.jpeg
Attached picture 9E436A29-3E15-4EF0-AB3B-529B834BED8A.jpeg
Posted By: advertologist Re: Clock help - Tue Jul 21 2020 09:14 PM
take the marquee off first (seven bros.service sta.)
then the round plastic face cover has screws all the way around the diameter -
that will get you too the face of the clock, parts are available..
value: in the 1500.+ neighborhood .. ... cool
Posted By: Morgan Re: Clock help - Tue Jul 21 2020 10:00 PM
The rusty metal bezel has screws around the perimeter. Remove those and the bezel, the plastic will come off. The face pan can be lifted off then. After unhooking the electrical conduit, the lift upward on the clock can to remove it from it's hanger that will be bolted to the wall.

Jim at Petro Relics has every part you will need.

I'm interested to see what's under the Seven Brothers stickers.
Posted By: petropumps Re: Clock help - Tue Jul 21 2020 10:22 PM
Are you asking how it comes apart as part of your planned restoration or to get it off the wall? It's probably not bolted/screwed through. These clocks had inverted "V" hangers on the back and usually just lift up and off. Once you get the electrical conduit disconnected, you shouldn't have to take it apart any further to get it off the wall. If you're asking for restoration purposes, the above comments are spot on...I'll only add that the hands then come off with simple large nuts and the face lifts out to give access to the mechanism. Good luck!! Cool Clock.
Posted By: Big B1 Re: Clock help - Wed Jul 22 2020 12:19 AM
Thanks , it’s always been on there since 1956
Posted By: Big B1 Re: Clock help - Wed Jul 22 2020 12:24 AM
Thanks, Not sure if I’m Restoring it it works just interested in figuring how it would come off the wall . I thought it was bolted through back can . It’s been up there since 1956 and my buddy is retiring and selling the building and doesn’t want to see it get destroyed by new owners. It’ll hang in my garage to honor his family .
Posted By: Big B1 Re: Clock help - Wed Jul 22 2020 12:26 AM
Thanks , they stuccoed ( gardenstate brickface) around it and there’s two massive bolts on other side of wall . Thought it was bolted through can . Hope it comes off easy on Friday .
Posted By: Morgan Re: Clock help - Wed Jul 22 2020 12:37 AM
The hanger may be bolted thru. the clock with lift off the hanger after you disconnect electrical conduit.
Posted By: petropumps Re: Clock help - Wed Jul 22 2020 05:04 AM
Yeah, would bet dollars to donuts it’ll lift off...the wall side of the hanger is held on with two bolts.
Posted By: fuelboy Re: Clock help - Wed Jul 22 2020 12:41 PM
Seems like it would be easy just from seeing the two pipes supporting it on the bottom.
Posted By: Morgan Re: Clock help - Wed Jul 22 2020 01:04 PM
Originally Posted by fuelboy
Seems like it would be easy just from seeing the two pipes supporting it on the bottom.

Those are feet that allow the clock to set upright on a shelf.
Posted By: fuelboy Re: Clock help - Wed Jul 22 2020 02:44 PM
Well i'll be... wink
Posted By: Big B1 Re: Clock help - Thu Jul 23 2020 04:28 PM
Any idea of weight of clock like this ?
Posted By: advertologist Re: Clock help - Thu Jul 23 2020 04:47 PM
Originally Posted by Big B1
Any idea of weight of clock like this ?

approx. 30 lbs. not heavy awkward

how high up is it - may need assistance .. ... cool
Posted By: Big B1 Re: Clock help - Thu Jul 23 2020 11:29 PM
Thanks , probably 12’ up I have a bucket truck and someone will be on a ladder next to it . Looks heavy because of size .
Greatly appreciated.
Posted By: fuelboy Re: Clock help - Fri Jul 24 2020 12:48 AM
Be cool to get some pics of that thing being removed nonetheless.
Posted By: Morgan Re: Clock help - Fri Jul 24 2020 12:56 AM
The old core and coil transformers can be fairly hefty. There should be a handle on top of the can. Be good to tie a rope around the handle and secure it to the bucket, just as a backup in the event if gets away from you,
Posted By: Big B1 Re: Clock help - Sat Jul 25 2020 11:34 AM
It was a beast to remove because it was stuccoed around entire can . I had someone on the roof and had it tied off to ensure it didn’t come crashing down . Once I broke out enough brick stucco it lifted off its bracket .
It now resides on my work table ready for next step .
Thank you to all for your Input on this .
GREATLY APPRECIATED !!

Attached picture 0EE19B92-07FA-4253-A49D-AFEC988C9267.jpeg
Attached picture EE4E4D7E-88E6-43EF-8C37-A985AE423D7A.jpeg
Attached picture 06299778-7005-4C7D-AB69-27245F7E6CBE.jpeg
Posted By: advertologist Re: Clock help - Sat Jul 25 2020 11:49 AM
did you get the bracket ?

was there a neon tube behind the marquee, there should be ?

you might consider adding a pull chain switch so you can turn the neon on/off -

congratulations - mission accomplished .. ... cool
Posted By: Morgan Re: Clock help - Sat Jul 25 2020 01:33 PM
Originally Posted by advertologist
did you get the bracket ?

was there a neon tube behind the marquee, there should be ?

I don't believe that's the lighted marquee. It looks like the version with a plexiglass insert that picks up light from the tube in the bezel.
Posted By: Big B1 Re: Clock help - Sun Jul 26 2020 11:47 PM
Yes ,it picked up light through face neon .
Posted By: Big B1 Re: Clock help - Sun Jul 26 2020 11:53 PM
Yes , I got the bracket too, I took the ring off and took bezel off , hands of clock but face seems to be all one piece with neon running through it . How does that separate from back can to access clock mechanism and transformer for neon?
I appreciate all the input , hate to keep bothering you guys but your wisdom is what makes this site the best .
Posted By: RetroPetro Re: Clock help - Mon Jul 27 2020 12:12 AM
Glad you were able to get it down safely Randy.
Posted By: Morgan Re: Clock help - Mon Jul 27 2020 01:09 AM
The face should just lift off of the can with all the bezel screws out. May have to use a flat blade screwdriver and hammer to tap it off. Probably rusted a bit. The neon will be wired in on the backside so clip those close to the transformer. Are the tubes in one piece? They may still work. Maybe wire in a new power cord before cutting the neon wires.
Posted By: Big B1 Re: Clock help - Mon Jul 27 2020 10:01 AM
Hi Morgan , yes the neon still works ,both tubes are in perfect shape one pink one is green .I didn’t want to disturb them or the wiring to them . Will it be necessary to cut wires to get the face off to get to clock mechanism? I was just going to change out clock mechanism and put it back together and freshen up the marquee plastic as it’s brittle. I wanted to keep its looks original as possible.
Thanks Randy
Posted By: advertologist Re: Clock help - Mon Jul 27 2020 10:36 AM
the back of the clock should open up as mine does, first take the hands off of the face then
cut a couple pieces of 2X4 too lay the face on while you open up the back and change the clock mechanism,
the 2X4's will lay between the neon on the face shouldn't have too disturb the neon at all.. .. ... cool
Posted By: fuelboy Re: Clock help - Mon Jul 27 2020 01:14 PM
the back of the clock should open up as mine does, first take the hands off of the face then
cut a couple pieces of 2X4 too lay the face on while you open up the back and change the clock mechanism,
the 2X4's will lay between the neon on the face shouldn't have too disturb the neon at all.. .. ... cool

Randy, got a pic of yours?
Posted By: Morgan Re: Clock help - Mon Jul 27 2020 01:34 PM
If the back doesn't open, you can lift the face off the can and access the movement there. The reset knob/shaft will need to be removed to allow easier access. You don't need to disconnect neon if just replacing the motor movement.
Posted By: advertologist Re: Clock help - Mon Jul 27 2020 04:27 PM
Randy, got a pic of yours?[/quote]

back should come off too replace clock mechanism & install pull chain too turn neon on/off .. ... cool

Attached picture 1neoclo.PNG
Posted By: Big B1 Re: Clock help - Mon Jul 27 2020 05:46 PM
The back doesn’t look like it opens there are no screws around perimeter of back side . I will work the front up with flat blade there is a lot of rust around bottom edge. The neon rings seem to be below can portion of face but I have foam blocks to help keep it off tubes . I truly appreciate all the answers from all of you .
Thanks Randy

Attached picture 4A7089F9-0A6A-49DC-B2FD-CDE83D603C5A.jpeg
Attached picture 57061D3C-FF25-4FB5-B2DC-0702445221A2.jpeg
Attached picture C871F813-358E-4B37-844F-89CF052FAFA2.jpeg
Attached picture 56D867AE-D37B-4D50-A8FF-F5F9D94ED448.jpeg
Posted By: advertologist Re: Clock help - Sun Aug 23 2020 05:48 PM
there is your clock .. ... cool

Attached picture 1neoclo.PNG
Posted By: Mike Tyler Re: Clock help - Sun Aug 30 2020 01:46 PM
Nice find Randy! It even looks to still have original neon in it as well. A challenging removal always makes you appreciate them more. I have a couple of Bullseyes in my shop right now if you have any other questions.
Posted By: Signs&Neons Re: Clock help - Sun Aug 30 2020 04:39 PM
there is your clock .. ... cool

Actually that's a different clock. The OP has an Electric Neon Clock Company - often called a "Cleveland" as that's where company was from. The one on top of Texaco station is a much more rare Federal clock. Both great clocks. Enjoy your cleveland!
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk