Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Oil head 56 Composite oil cans - Thu Aug 27 2020 12:33 PM
Hi Everybody
First I would like to thank everyone who answered my questions and gave me some advice,
My question today is:
Are composite oil cans worth collecting and if so is it the graphics that drive them as it is with the metal cans? What is the “normal” value of these can?
Are 2 gallon cans becoming collectible?

Thanks
😎
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: Composite oil cans - Thu Aug 27 2020 03:13 PM
"Are composite oil cans worth collecting and if so is it the graphics that drive them as it is with the metal cans? What is the “normal” value of these can?"

I think they are worth collecting......I've always said if it's a round quart can, it's something that hasn't been widely produced for a few decades now, so it has some value as a collectible item representative of a different era. When I started driving in 1992, I could only get oil in plastic containers around here, no popping the top of a can although I do still remember round quarts when I was really small in the early 80's. Obviously the majority of composites aren't that valuable, but there are some graphic ones that have higher value. I'm not one to attach values to anything on Old Gas as it's pretty subjective, but IMO the plentiful/general composites are $5 - $10 when I see them. It's definitely a good area to start collecting on a budget. I have a Purple Martin composite quart that is graphically one of my favorite cans.

"Are 2 gallon cans becoming collectible?"

I think they've always been collectible, but in the last few years the prices on many have certainly increased. "Big Cans", like 5 quarts, 2 gallons, 5 gallons and drums were once something most collectors only wanted to collect "their brand" of. For me, that would be ANY size Mobil can with Pegasus on it. Most people say they take up too much room to collect larger size cans specifically, meaning collecting every 2 gallon can you see instead of just what was produced for your specific brand(s). But it sounds like more folks are collecting just 2 gallon cans and even 5 gallon cans now. I've always felt that the larger the can, the harder they are to find in nice condition. Many were repurposed around the farm/home and were beat to death. Maybe the larger cans are finally getting the attention that they deserve, especially for nice examples. I've always liked the larger cans myself.....they make for an impressive display when they're clean and displayed in a group.
Darin
Posted By: Speedracer Re: Composite oil cans - Fri Aug 28 2020 07:10 AM
Well said Darin
Posted By: Oil head 56 Re: Composite oil cans - Fri Aug 28 2020 01:11 PM
Thanks for your opinions on my questions Darin, they are helpful and Insightful. I too like 2 gallon cans, but they are tough to find in nice condition. As for composite/cardboard cans I believe that the graphics do drive the collectibility and desirability of them. Now I know the “old school” collectors will not always agree and I totally understand that yes, “metal” cans are “king” in the motor oil cans world as they should be but, a nice composite can with killer graphics will always find a spot in my collection.
Posted By: Oil head 56 Re: Composite oil cans - Sat Aug 29 2020 01:32 PM
After all it really is all about the graphics 😊
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: Composite oil cans - Sat Aug 29 2020 03:13 PM
I'm both a metal & composite collector.
Having either still full of oil is huge plus too. smile

Attached picture sunococans1.jpg
Attached picture sunococans2.jpg
Attached picture sunococans4.jpg
Attached picture sunococans6.jpg
Posted By: garyh Re: Composite oil cans - Sun Aug 30 2020 02:11 AM
Nice Can Collection, cold pizza. I am working on a can cabinet myself.
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: Composite oil cans - Tue Sep 01 2020 07:47 PM
Buy em buy the case if you can. smile

Attached picture 029.JPG
Attached picture 027.JPG
Attached picture 028.JPG
Attached picture 030.JPG
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: Composite oil cans - Tue Sep 01 2020 07:48 PM

Attached picture 033.JPG
Attached picture 034.JPG
Attached picture 024.JPG
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: Composite oil cans - Tue Sep 01 2020 07:49 PM
Transmission Fluid too.. smile