Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Steven C. Need some help. 1922 Sunoco counter top display - Sun Jan 03 2021 01:51 PM
I've had this for some time, and actually have a corporate dealer catalog from 1922 that shows this in it. That's how I can accurately date it.
So I bought some new glass tubes that are as close as I can find. I need to fill them with oils of 9 different viscosities.
Any thoughts on where to find them and what to actually use?
I know they are not going to be exact to what they were.

Attached picture 20210103_082729.jpg
Hey Steve,
I delivered parts at O’Reillys for a year after I retired. I know we had quart bottles of all viscosities. I would buy a quart for each one you wanted to use there.
Steve
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: Need some help. 1922 Sunoco counter top display - Sun Jan 03 2021 03:24 PM
Maybe try and find a locally owned oil company/jobber to see if they might get you the small amounts of oils you need for the display Steve. I know here we have a local independent company that has their own blending plant to mix lubricants and products for farmers, specialty users, etc. With the relationship I have with this company they would probably just give me the product to fill the tubes as I bet they spill more on the floor occasionally than it would take to fill one, lol.
Darin
Posted By: Steven C. Re: Need some help. 1922 Sunoco counter top display - Sun Jan 03 2021 04:43 PM
Darin,
Kind of hard to see, but you see the names along the bottom. I just thought it would be cool if it flowed when you flipped it around.
Do you think you could get and send me 9 different ones. I would pay you for your time and trouble.

Attached picture 20210103_113717.jpg
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: Need some help. 1922 Sunoco counter top display - Mon Jan 04 2021 01:59 AM
Steve I will contact the company this coming week and see what I can do. I see light, medium, heavy, x heavy, special, ? heavy, motor cup grease, transmission grease, and transmission lubricant. What is the one I can't read?
Posted By: Speedracer Re: Need some help. 1922 Sunoco counter top display - Mon Jan 04 2021 02:33 AM
Change your oil in your car, and then take a sample every week. It will get darker..... lol.... (you might have to replace 1/2 quart when your done)

Or just buy the lightest oil you can find at the store, and then add a little used oil to each sample, progressively adding a little more to make it darker. It might change the viscosity slightly.
Posted By: Steven C. Re: Need some help. 1922 Sunoco counter top display - Mon Jan 04 2021 11:43 AM
Originally Posted by DWSheffer
Steve I will contact the company this coming week and see what I can do. I see light, medium, heavy, x heavy, special, ? heavy, motor cup grease, transmission grease, and transmission lubricant. What is the one I can't read?

It say's "XX Heavy" but it doesn't matter, just anything of nine different viscosity would be cool. It's all fake at this point anyway.
I can't help but wonder how these got broke or came up missing in the first place. But then again, the thing has been traveling for nearly 100 years.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk