Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: cggas American pickers - Tue Jan 26 2021 10:08 PM
Anybody watch it last night? Bought a Bennett 77 & an Erie clockface for like $1500 for both!! Wish I could buy 2clockfaces for that price! A short tokheim 39 will cost ya that much nowadays!!
Posted By: Yellow57 Re: American pickers - Tue Jan 26 2021 10:16 PM
Lol, y show is a joke all tv , the guy that motorcycle on trailer sold the best sign he had and was leaning against garage door. All staged
Posted By: Ohio Oil Re: American pickers - Tue Jan 26 2021 11:31 PM
The stuff they show is real ... that's all that matters to me.
Posted By: T-way Re: American pickers - Tue Jan 26 2021 11:39 PM
Not always it's not.

I can prove that the 'Royal 400' globe they 'bought' a few years ago was fake as a $3 bill.

Later . . .

Jim
Posted By: smokey1 Re: American pickers - Wed Jan 27 2021 02:45 AM
Was it part of a "bundle"..
Show is scripted, but its amazing to see how much $hit is horded across America.
Garages//storage building are one thing, but the homes full of ***** is pretty sad.
Have not watched that many episodes, but seems to be a theme.
Those that went thru the great depression threw nothing away.
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: American pickers - Wed Jan 27 2021 03:36 AM
Show is set-up but not completely fake. Show personnel scout potential locations, determining what’s there and available, costs. They often advertise for locations, get permission to come.

Pickers come as arranged obviously. It’s not spontaneous as looks on the show. The negotiation of purchases is pretty much real. However sellers obviously feel compelled to sell, selling cheap to be on TV.

I’ve talked to multiple people that have been on the show selling, so think this is accurate. They do say they are pleasant enough people.

My sister tried to arrange for them to “pick” at my parents place, I stopped that quickly, don’t care to be on TV and selling everything half price.
Posted By: buzzy56 Re: American pickers - Wed Jan 27 2021 04:25 AM
What amazes me is the really good stuff they walk on by and hope the camera didn’t catch it and go back and buy it off camera for nickels on the dollar . But the camera catches a quick passing glimpse every so often . Frank is the worst he rips people off 99% of the time . But on the other hand a brief moment of fame cost and some are willing to pay the price of entry . I Like the show and what you get to see them find thru out the country . Continuous reruns and mixed reruns not so mutch . Give Mike credit he had the concept and built it into what it is today . Great entertainment.
Posted By: Skydog Re: American pickers - Wed Jan 27 2021 04:32 PM
I take it what it is, entertainment, not much reality!
I like Danielle the most.

Greg
Posted By: minuteman Re: American pickers - Wed Jan 27 2021 06:45 PM
Hell you can watch Pawn Stars, they will appraise it right in front of you and give 40% of that if your lucky....And people TAKE IT...The last episodes i have watched their pricing has come up considerably from what they used to offer, even though Frank is still pretty cheap. The show has an unbelievable following; just try and buy something now when out and about........Everybody is a picker or collector.
Posted By: Coops 427 Re: American pickers - Thu Jan 28 2021 02:45 AM
Good or bad, real or not, I like watching American Pickers to see what's still out there in back road America. If I had the time, money, and didn't have a ball-n-chain 40 hour a week job I would be doing the same thing. Staged or not, you can't blame Robbie for getting the best deal he could on those pumps. We all do that.
Posted By: Stephenwarren30 Re: American pickers - Thu Jan 28 2021 12:14 PM
I enjoy the show. The last one where Robby found the two clock face pumps was amusing. The owner warned him about the weight of the pumps when he wanted to move them outside of the shed to get a better look at them in the light. Robby said, “We know...we do this all the time.” Then the show cut to commercial. When it started again the clock face was not set up outside the shed (like you would think it would have been) but half in and half out of the shed...laid down on the ground. I laughed! I pulled cartilage in my rib cage trying to move a Wayne much smaller than the clock face. I know it is staged but I agree...it is fun to see the stuff!
Posted By: Ohio Oil Re: American pickers - Thu Jan 28 2021 04:19 PM
Originally Posted by T-way
Not always it's not.

I can prove that the 'Royal 400' globe they 'bought' a few years ago was fake as a $3 bill.

Later . . .

Jim

I meant from the stand point the stuff they show exists ... show may be staged ... but the items are physically real.

Stuff is still out there in barns and sheds ... that's the only thing that keeps me watching.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk