Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: jaytee To clean or not to clean - Sat Jul 10 2021 11:04 PM
Hey folks, I recently just bought a 1930's Authorized Nash Service double sided fish scale porcelain sign that appears to be an original and was wondering if I should attempt to clean it up or not. It has some very minor rust stains from the hanger and what not but no missing porcelain other then some places on the edge. Its really in great shape but just wanted to know if people want them "as is" or spiffed up. I also bought a 1920's round Nash Service Station double sided porcelain in almost the same condition but it has a few more dings along the border where its missing some small, maybe dime sized spots of porcelain. Would I be better off to remove the rust and then touch up the areas with paint or not? Thanks for any and all help!!
Posted By: Tankar Re: To clean or not to clean - Sat Jul 10 2021 11:22 PM
Clean it. will absolutely not take away from value. I prefer to clean my own signs when I buy them but it would not keep from buying.
Posted By: hawkike Re: To clean or not to clean - Sat Jul 10 2021 11:27 PM
Bar keepers friend will clean that sign up,i personally would never touch up a porcelain chip with paint.

If not familiar with bar keepers friend get it at Walmart-liquid or powder.
Posted By: advertologist Re: To clean or not to clean - Sat Jul 10 2021 11:45 PM
Originally Posted by hawkike
Bar keepers friend will clean that sign up

this does work good but use sparingly, this product will take the shine out of the porcelain .. ... cool
Posted By: advertologist Re: To clean or not to clean - Sat Jul 10 2021 11:50 PM
Originally Posted by jaytee
I recently just bought a 1930's Authorized Nash Service double sided fish scale porcelain sign

please post picture of 30's Authorized Nash Service fish scale porcelain sign .. ... cool
Posted By: jaytee Re: To clean or not to clean - Sun Jul 11 2021 12:23 AM
Here ya go

Attached picture 8E44F640-44E8-4FEE-AE2A-2E6FFABECDE8.jpeg
Attached picture C9790191-0703-40EB-BAE8-0DC047C2E1B1.jpeg
Posted By: advertologist Re: To clean or not to clean - Sun Jul 11 2021 12:47 AM
that fish scale sign doesn't appear too require too much cleaning

field of sign condition wise is superb

one I hope too own some day .. ... cool
Posted By: jaytee Re: To clean or not to clean - Sun Jul 11 2021 01:10 AM
Originally Posted by advertologist
that fish scale sign doesn't appear too require too much cleaning

field of sign condition wise is superb

one I hope too own some day .. ... cool
It really is in superb condition. I'd rate it at least an 8 or 8.5 out of 10.
Posted By: Skydog Re: To clean or not to clean - Sun Jul 11 2021 04:32 PM
Lovely
Posted By: RetroPetro Re: To clean or not to clean - Sun Jul 11 2021 04:47 PM
Great signs, I'd leave them alone.
Posted By: jaytee Re: To clean or not to clean - Sun Jul 11 2021 08:23 PM
22”x36”

Attached picture 70D0492A-AE9D-4C42-9610-CBFBA2CCA266.jpeg
Posted By: BrianH Re: To clean or not to clean - Sun Jul 11 2021 09:12 PM
I would bet that rust on the "service" scroll will clean off with barkeeper's friend, but as other have said, don't scrub too hard or it will dull the shine. The rust on the grommets probably won't clean up much since it's usually deeper there. That's on the edge of the field anyway so if it were me, I'd just try and clean up that first spot and then leave it. That's your choice though. Gorgeous sign BTW.
Posted By: keithia Re: To clean or not to clean - Mon Jul 12 2021 02:49 AM
Nice Nash sign! I had a similar one years ago. High dollar sign!!
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk