Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Rick S. Standard sign age? - Wed Jul 21 2021 11:31 PM
Found a deal that I couldn’t pass up. Never expected to find a Standard sign. Doing my 2 car attached garage with lighted plastic signs. Any guess on age? I’m thinking 60’s- 70’s? Rick

Attached picture C0F0E7F3-CA88-4833-800B-1E39A9856193.jpeg
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: Standard sign age? - Thu Jul 22 2021 01:16 AM
Yeah I think 60s or 70s. The logo changed slowly, you should be able to date it pretty precisely if you want to by searching the 'net. Will be cool lit up, little challenging to make a can. Really nice sign!
Posted By: mapper Re: Standard sign age? - Thu Jul 22 2021 12:08 PM
This is a 1960 map.

Attached picture standard_1960.jpeg
Posted By: Rick S. Re: Standard sign age? - Thu Jul 22 2021 03:21 PM
Hey Al, that graphic is confusing to me. It almost looks like it could represent a porcelain sign. They may have left off the spot lights for a cleaner look. I'm not really sure.
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: Standard sign age? - Thu Jul 22 2021 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by Rick S.
Hey Al, that graphic is confusing to me. It almost looks like it could represent a porcelain sign. They may have left off the spot lights for a cleaner look. I'm not really sure.

That's the older style sign, porcelain. The shape and style of the flame is really good thing to look at.
Posted By: trifiver Re: Standard sign age? - Thu Jul 22 2021 08:50 PM
Here is one I have , The Flame bolts to the Main sign

Attached picture IMG_2872.jpg
Posted By: Rick S. Re: Standard sign age? - Thu Jul 22 2021 11:04 PM
Since my flame is a separate piece, I wonder if that was original with my sign? My flames graphic (to me) looks newer than the signs graphics. I certainly am no authority on that.
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: Standard sign age? - Fri Jul 23 2021 11:31 PM
Originally Posted by Rick S.
Since my flame is a separate piece, I wonder if that was original with my sign? My flames graphic (to me) looks newer than the signs graphics. I certainly am no authority on that.

I think you are right on that. Could be a transition sign, where they mixed the two different logos, but more likely the flame got damaged and someone replaced it with the more modern design. Those flames come up for sale every once in a while, you could always keep an eye out for one.

Attached picture Capture222.JPG
Attached picture Capture4.JPG
Attached picture Capture33.JPG
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk