Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: john deere 6430 Texaco Paint Code - Tue Dec 28 2021 11:22 PM
Does anyone know the paint code for the Texaco green they painted gas pumps?
Posted By: petropumps Re: Texaco Paint Code - Wed Dec 29 2021 01:06 AM
They didn’t paint their pumps green.
Posted By: advertologist Re: Texaco Paint Code - Wed Dec 29 2021 02:11 AM
Originally Posted by petropumps
They didn’t paint their pumps green.

fire chief (red)
sky chief (silver) .. ... cool

Attached picture 1abc.PNG
Posted By: john deere 6430 Re: Texaco Paint Code - Thu Dec 30 2021 12:45 PM
My pump was originaly a Texaco kerosene (crystalite) pump and then switched to pump gas later.
The Texaco kerosene decal was on the pump originaly. I don't know that much about the paint
on the pumps it just apperas that this is the way mine was done. The pump is from back in the late 50's or early 60's

Attached picture Gasboy pump.jpg
Attached picture gasboy2.jpg
Posted By: advertologist Re: Texaco Paint Code - Sat Jan 01 2022 09:25 AM
did paint texaco diesel & kerosene pumps green .. ... cool

Attached picture 1texdietankr.PNG
Attached picture 1ab.PNG
Posted By: advertologist Re: Texaco Paint Code - Sat Jan 01 2022 10:22 AM
notice logo on truck cab door,

trailer referring too 48 states -

possibly older trailer with newer rig .. ... cool

Attached picture 1ab.PNG
Attached picture 1ab1.PNG
Posted By: john deere 6430 Re: Texaco Paint Code - Sat Jan 01 2022 12:33 PM
I found the original water transfer decals just like the ones that are on my pump on ebay and bought two of them.
They are dated 1964.
I haven't seen a lot of pumps but I can't seem to find one like mine.
I really hate to paint the pump but would like to put the new decals on it.
Posted By: Alex Re: Texaco Paint Code - Mon Jan 03 2022 01:26 AM
According to Henderson and Benjamin's Gas Pump Restoration Book, second edition, page 203. Three versions. Until 1954 diesel pumps were red with red pump plares. In 54-67 they went to green pumps and still used the red face plares for diesel chief. In 54 they also introduced diesel fuel 2...green pump and green face plates..until 67...In 67-71 They changed the face plates to the hexagon diesel chief tin face plates. There were two red "auto diesel" pump plates from 63-70...but that's a different story. Neither of the books I have mention the green paint code. And because code numbers change, I would double check any codes...Not sureif this helped...but...gave it a shot. Happy New Year.
Posted By: Speedracer Re: Texaco Paint Code - Mon Jan 03 2022 04:13 AM
Disclaimer: I am not going to be any help, I just want to show you a cool picture.

I bought this original paint pump and it had this Fire Chief PPP on it. I can tell you the pump plate has been on there for a long, long time with the Texaco bolt pattern.

Now, I am by no means saying any Fire Chief pump was green, as I have no proof either. But as Jack Sim would say, some of the smaller independently owned stations might not adhere to the exact color specs. Or they may throw pump plates on a re-branded station (or a pump that may have been used for kerosene at one time). I just want you all to enjoy this picture of this cool old original paint pump (because I am following this thread).

(I added the red glass and sunburst, because the ad glass was gone and it’s what I had on hand)

-Steve

Attached picture F25A2B60-7FB5-43BD-B308-029BD3FF95FB.jpeg
Attached picture 855EEF5F-92FD-4B5D-82D9-F4E19AC87150.jpeg
Posted By: Dr Dave Re: Texaco Paint Code - Thu Jan 06 2022 03:29 PM
What are you looking to achieve? If you are going to repaint with the same color as now, take the pump or an easier to carry piece to Sherwin Williams. They can color match paint for you. If the decal has the right color they can color match to that.
If you want a rustoration and not a restoration, clean up the pump with some Dawn and a microfiber towel, apply the decals and there you go!
Cool pump and a fun project what ever way you go
Dave
Posted By: john deere 6430 Re: Texaco Paint Code - Fri Jan 07 2022 03:06 PM
The paint code for the Texaco green is 42783. I got a sample of that and it is bright christmas tree green. I like the faded color of the pump now but I think if I try to put the new decals over the old ones
the old decal will show through. I took the back panel of the pump to one paint store and they said the paint was to faded to use the computer on it. I don't think the guy was very familiar with matching
colors with the computer. I want it to look faded. Has anyone found a way to fade or oxidize paint quickly? I thought about taking the original green color and adding white to it to get back to the faded color.
Don't know if that would work.
Thanks Randy
Posted By: Speedracer Re: Texaco Paint Code - Fri Jan 07 2022 07:26 PM
i'd leave it just the way it is, if you like the faded look. New light-colored paint (like you want) wont look faded it'll just look like new mint green paint.
Posted By: advertologist Re: Texaco Paint Code - Fri Jan 07 2022 07:57 PM
Originally Posted by Speedracer
i'd leave it just the way it is, if you like the faded look. New light-colored paint (like you want) wont look faded

wax what you have, it'll make the green darker

while retaining the original patina - I did this with

my green pump which brightened it up:

after & before photos .. ... cool

Posted By: john deere 6430 Re: Texaco Paint Code - Fri Jan 07 2022 09:42 PM
How can I put the decals on it without somehow taking the old ones off?
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk