Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Scott Baselt Mobilgas keyhole pump plate Original???? - Mon Jan 19 2009 04:36 AM
I bought this "guaranteed old and original" pump plate on ebay last week. Now that I have it in my hands I'm beginning to think repro ! According to the Mobil Collectors & Price Guide (page 61) these signs were tin lithographed and 5" X 10". This sign is porcelain and 4 3/4" X 6 3/8". What do you think ?
(I know, I should have asked here first !)

Posted By: fast66 Re: Mobilgas keyhole pump plate Original???? - Mon Jan 19 2009 05:23 AM
Scott, I saw this sign and I am certain it is new. IMO it is a fantasy piece as these signs were tin (as you say) and also larger. There is iirc a German seller on ebay that sells these signs and other miniature porcelain signs for $45 on ebay.

I am sure others will back up my opinion.

br
Claes
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: Mobilgas keyhole pump plate Original???? - Mon Jan 19 2009 12:52 PM
I agree with Claes. I believe if you look in the Ebay stores there is a seller offering these for sale. I am at work and don't have my book, but I believe the originals are even larger than you say, and yes, made of tin. I think the circle itself is 10" round, then the rectangle top is like 4" or so in height for a total of 14" or more tall. I'm obviously no expert, but when you can find an item in Ebay stores and in a material it was never offered in originally, I stay away from them! I also think all the originals are AM41 dated at the bottom. I hope you are able to return the item. Good luck!
Darin
Posted By: Mac Re: Mobilgas keyhole pump plate Original???? - Mon Jan 19 2009 06:50 PM
Here's one on Ebay. Looks to be the same.......definitely a repop.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130277112637

Mac
Posted By: Esse's Garage Re: Mobilgas keyhole pump plate Original???? - Mon Jan 19 2009 07:05 PM
That is Definately a Repop. I have a Original and the rectangle on top measures 5 /14" X 10 1/4" and the Circle is 11 1/4" across. Originals are dated at the Bottom of the Circle as you can see mine rusted off.

Here is a Link to one on Ebay right now, NOTE: The Date ate the Bottom of the Circle.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Mobilgas-Key-Hole-Si...1QQcmdZViewItem
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk